Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abta1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Paris, France
So I've recently bought an Airport Express in hopes of improving the wifi network around my apartment over the default modem/router that came from my provider (UPC Austria).

The idea is to connect the Express to the modem/router via ethernet and use the wifi network generated by the Express. Is this ok? Any tips or guides on the specifics for doing this? Do I need to disable the wifi of my old rounter?

Thanks

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
So I've recently bought an Airport Express in hopes of improving the wifi network around my apartment over the default modem/router that came from my provider (UPC Austria).

The idea is to connect the Express to the modem/router via ethernet and use the wifi network generated by the Express. Is this ok? Any tips or guides on the specifics for doing this? Do I need to disable the wifi of my old rounter?

Thanks
Yes. That is the procedure. If possible set the modem to bridge mode and disable Wi-Fi.

abta1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Paris, France
Report back on how it goes.

So I've finally got everything set up and it seems to be working fine.

I have an ethernet cable going from my providers modem/router to the Airport Express which I am using as the primary counter now for generating a wifi network and connecting all devices to that.

I would like to disable the wifi on my providers router which I can do through the admin page. But if I do this, will I still be able to access they settings when connected via the new wifi network? I'm guessing yes since I can access the routers settings page from this new network right now but I want to check since I have no devices with an ethernet port so hooking my providers router up that way to reset would not be an option.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
So I've finally got everything set up and it seems to be working fine.

I have an ethernet cable going from my providers modem/router to the Airport Express which I am using as the primary counter now for generating a wifi network and connecting all devices to that.

I would like to disable the wifi on my providers router which I can do through the admin page. But if I do this, will I still be able to access they settings when connected via the new wifi network? I'm guessing yes since I can access the routers settings page from this new network right now but I want to check since I have no devices with an ethernet port so hooking my providers router up that way to reset would not be an option.

Yes. Provided the IP stays the same you can safely disable Wi-Fi. It should be accessible from behind the AirPort.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.