Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bsbfan

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
First off, I know battery can be replaced free of charge. What I find ironic is that I didn't start to have issues with it dying at a certain percentage UNTIL literally the day they announce the issue, since then with testing it out seems to differ from each charge.

I have a 5 16gb. Had it since release. I am OCD when it comes to my phone, I let no one touch it. Naturally I freaked out when it died in the 20% range the day they announce an issue. It has died a few more times since then, last week at 17%. Today at 21%, but here is the kicker. I tested it with very little usage, I am short 14 hours of a full week and it just got down to 21% so the battery is draining fine, it just shuts off within the 20% range. Does it need just to be "calibrated," or something else? All the horror stories I read is that it died more frequently than this one has so I have that going for it.

I want the 6, I just don't have the money for it. ATT will buy it back for $200 but I have until 10/20 and I don't know if I would have a phone by then.

I need to stop obsessing over this, I literally have a piece of paper with stuff written down on it.

What do you think? I know someone who says their 4s regularly dies within 17-20%. What should I do?

Like I said, I just hate people touching my phone and I know they have to open it up to replace the battery, I wonder if ATT will know to look for battery issues when buying it back because this thing is pristine and everything internal checks out just this aspect.

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali
If the battery issue is covered, I wouldn't worry too much. Batteries are not designed to fail at 20%, that's a serious under voltage problem. The calibration is designed to detect the voltage reduction in much smaller increments, then a 20% indicates an entire cell is dying. I understand your desire to keep people from touching your phone, but you just have to get past that. Back your stuff up, wipe the phone, get the battery replaced. Apple does a good job at not damaging or scratching the phone. Take a video or detailed pictures if you're worried and if it comes back with more damage, inspect it on the spot and bring it up to them.

bsbfan

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
What I've noticed is it only does with usage I've stopped using it when it's gotten to a certain point and it goes down to 1% before dying

bsbfan

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
What do the little teeth do inside the plug in port? Somehow I got dust in there, assuming because it's a different color than the other teeth, could that be the cause?

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
I dunno what your OCD is, but perhaps you can clean the phone with a cloth after the apple store change the battery? Maybe this works for you. I totally recomend you get the battery replaced.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.