Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors' FAN

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
Friends,
I have a MacBook Pro Retina late 2013 of 15-inch uploaded at 10.9.4.
My question is: "Should I select 'correct spelling automatically'"?

If it is better leaving unselected 'correct spelling automatically', should I use other ways to correct spelling automatically?

I hope you will understand my question.

So if I will leave unselected that option, the other option 'spelling: automatic by Language' will not work anymore (because it works only if the option 'correct spelling automatically' is selected). Am I wrong?

Attachments

• Disabilitare_CorrettoreOrtografico_Mac_OSX.png
    Disabilitare_CorrettoreOrtografico_Mac_OSX.png
    54.7 KB · Views: 105
Last edited by a moderator:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Well ya gotta let people answer you. ;)

I leave it checked. There are few words that I have to fight with the autocorrect on, such as "kegging" that is swapped for legging. At no point do I mean legging when I am talking about kegging.

So if I will leave unselected that option, the other option 'spelling: automatic by Language' will not work anymore (because it works only if the option 'correct spelling automatically' is selected). Am I wrong?
I do not think you're wrong. I think they work together.

MacRumors' FAN

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
Ok, but with 'I think' what do you mean? I means: are you sure that they work only together? I am sorry, but on Internet it seems nobody knows this thing.

----------

On Internet, however, people say it is useless leaving selected the option 'correct spelling automatically' (because corrections are usually without any sense).

----------

So my last question is if the two options 'correct spelling automatically' and 'spelling: automatic by Language' work together.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
...So my last question is if the two options 'correct spelling automatically' and 'spelling: automatic by Language' work together.

Sure, but if you are concerned about the the qualifier "I think…" then you won't see much help. Those two words generally (among Americans, at any rate) should tell you that the speaker is qualifying the response, so you don't get to answer back with the question about "Is it an absolute guarantee that is outside of the realm of possibility?", to which the answer would be "no" of course.
But, in my testing, turning Correct spelling automatically" off but leaving spell checking on - will still suggest that a word is not spelled correctly, and probably offer the correct choice, but doesn't automatically correct the "misspelled" word.
So, "I think" that is what you should expect to happen… :D

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Sure, but if you are concerned about the the qualifier "I think…" then you won't see much help. Those two words generally (among Americans, at any rate) should tell you that the speaker is qualifying the response, so you don't get to answer back with the question about "Is it an absolute guarantee that is outside of the realm of possibility?", to which the answer would be "no" of course.
But, in my testing, turning Correct spelling automatically" off but leaving spell checking on - will still suggest that a word is not spelled correctly, and probably offer the correct choice, but doesn't automatically correct the "misspelled" word.
So, "I think" that is what you should expect to happen… :D

^ that.
And I said "I think" because I am pretty sure but god forbid I am wrong...well you get it. ;)

MacRumors' FAN

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
Ok, I have understood. However, I even want my Mac to check no words, so that I work in a better way.

----------

With 'check no words' I mean that I want to delete that option 'spelling: automatic by Language'.

----------

I hate that some words appear wrong if even they are not. So let me know how deleting that bad option.

----------

Then, I write on keyboard without looking the same keyboard, but only look on the screen so that I know if I have written wrong.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Got it!

You don't want to know if your system thinks you may have spelled a word incorrectly, because you never make mistakes :D
Got it…

Another method is to go to your Edit menu, then Spelling (or might be Spelling and Grammar), and _uncheck_ "Check Spelling while Typing"
That's sometimes on an application level, and not a system-wide setting - so be sure the check that setting for each app that you typically use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.