Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arian19

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
Anyone else waiting for Scott to come back and fix iOS!? Me too!! Lets wait together in this thread, and discuss things we want him to fix!

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Despite it looking rather archaic, iOS 6 and below did 'just work' a hell of a lot better than 7 and 8.

If Apple doesn't buck its ideas up my next devices will be of the Windows variety..

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Forstall most likely won't be back, but there's no denying that iOS was less buggy under his watch. Not sure what the software team is doing...

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2012
http://maypalo.com/2011/06/09/many-ios-5-bugs-found-here-is-a-list-of-them/

http://m.imore.com/ios-6-bugs-what-problems-are-you-having-wi-fi-passbook-apps-media

Roe roe

Yun0

macrumors 68000
Jun 12, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
sigh..& everyone bitched at hated him during his last ios, ios 6, maps etc..:rolleyes:

now people suck up & cry, the usual..dont worry when ios 9 launches everyone will praise ios 8

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Forstall most likely won't be back, but there's no denying that iOS was less buggy under his watch. Not sure what the software team is doing...

Listening to too much Hair Supply and traveling to northern California for OS X version name ideas! :)

apollo1444

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2011
mexico
Would be good if he came back to check on iOS quality not on design or features, thats for almighty Craig who if you don't acknowledge it, he has been responsable for the best features we've gotten and waited for years since iOS 7...

I doubt Scott would want to come back just for that... I don't know what to think of people who create these threads, its like you can never please anybody, why would you trade an overly simple OS, feature lacking with senior-people design ideas over a fresh set of features and extensibility with great design?

adding all this stuff to iOS in such a short time while preserving good battery life and iOS buttery class is obviously having some trade offs as quality going down a bit, but why would you want to go back to the old days? just look at how poor iOS 6 feature wise was, it was so behind android and windows phone in some areas that it made a lot of people leave apple.

Last edited:

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Despite it looking rather archaic, iOS 6 and below did 'just work' a hell of a lot better than 7 and 8.
Funny, iOS 7 and 8 add a bunch of "features Androids have had for years", and things go to crap.

iOS 6 seems so "Windows XP" nowadays. Seriously, have you played on a device with it recently? It's fairly horrible, IMO.

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2009

If Apple doesn't buck its ideas up my next devices will be of the Windows variety..

Is was also featureless

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Funny, iOS 7 and 8 add a bunch of "features Androids have had for years", and things go to crap.

iOS 6 seems so "Windows XP" nowadays. Seriously, have you played on a device with it recently? It's fairly horrible, IMO.

Is was also featureless

I know that iOS 6 was missing a crapton of features and iOS 7 and 8 have made massive steps in the right direction, feature wise. But whilst making massive steps with features, it has taken massive steps back on stability.

I'm getting major crashes and glitches all the time. I've used every version of iOS except the 3 series and I've never seen as many bugs.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
For some reason, I was watching the iOS 6 keynote the other night and I came across this slide.

u8esajy9.jpg

I don't want my apps looking like that again.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
I know that iOS 6 was missing a crapton of features and iOS 7 and 8 have made massive steps in the right direction, feature wise. But whilst making massive steps with features, it has taken massive steps back on stability.

I'm getting major crashes and glitches all the time. I've used every version of iOS except the 3 series and I've never seen as many bugs.

Do you not remember iOS 5?

iOS 5 was the buggiest release of iOS for me. My iPhone 4S was just bug city with it.

zosokm

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2012
iOS 6 was almost the same UI for years with few enhancements added every year. iOS 7 was a complete overhaul of the UI with major changes. iOS 8 is still a major change for apple in allowing widgets ,extensions , keyboards etc. There is definitely lag for the first time on an apple iphone , when bringing up 3rd party keyboards . I remember when I got my first iPhone which was the iphone 4 6 months after it was released (by which time any bugs had been ironed out) and it was super smooth and absolutely zero glitches. Have not had a similar experience on iOS 7 or iOS 8 . The glitch when the screen goes gray when pulling down on the home screen to search is very unlike apple. Hope they sort these out quickly

betabeta

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2013
I liked him but that ship has sailed, they just need someone to say no, Jobs use to say saying no is more important than saying yes. And as far as bugs in ios past, yeah sure, but now it's not just bugs, it's disjointed, it's actually not as simple and straight forward and had way more issues.

How about 3 sizes of phones? No
How about we dump iPhoto before photos app is ready? And make iPhoto not work at all on ios. No
How about we do handoff, airdrop, SMS and calling on macs and iPads all in the next version, do they work? They still need work, SMS we can release later...and airdrop buggy. Then No
How about we dump icloud for icloud drive? Is better? Yes, does work...we'll not always, depends, oh and sometimes certain people might lose files.. People will have no idea what they are doing either lol. Ok then No!

I'm not saying all these features are bad, or even 3 size phones but they need to slooooowwww down, they seem like they are going every which way and nothing is fully baked.

Will someone at Apple stand up and say NO sometimes, keep it simple and make it work, I would rather wait for features to mature then be a beta tester, this isn't Google.

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2011
sigh..& everyone bitched at hated him during his last ios, ios 6, maps etc..:rolleyes:

now people suck up & cry, the usual..dont worry when ios 9 launches everyone will praise ios 8

This. Just do a historical search and how much people loathed ios6 and how maps was "biggest blackeye for Apple ever". Funny how people have such short term memories..

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014

Not necessarily true. iOS 6 was riddled with bugs. iOS 5 actually had so many bugs they released an update specifically to address battery life, which they haven't done in a while. I can't say anything about below that but I do remember iOS missing a lot of core functionality for quite some time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.