Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iCore24

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Michigan
Honestly I was praising the Moto 360 all over the internet. But after seeing it in person at college, and other reviews, it looks like a plain round block of aluminum. Don't get me wrong the screen is beautiful when its off and looking at it from a distance. But once you get to the body, it doesn't grow on you.

My first look experience (pictures). I actually kept taking quick 5 sec glances on each and noted what I did.

Watch Design:
At first glance it forces you to analyze the whole watch. I look at the screen, then the curved bezel, then the Digital Crown, then the band insert. It makes me want to keep looking at it and examine it, and as I do, it keeps growing on me because it has so much cool little designs. Same with a back picture and with every angle picture I look at. The whole watch screams fluent and seamless design to me. There are no noticeable bezels, just one nice curve that's from the top of the curved screen to the polished curved stainless steel bottom. The Watch OS is also really nice with eye candy. I love transparency overlays!

Moto 360 Design:
At first glance all my attention is on the screen. It looks so cool since its circular. Then I notice some content is cut off and distorted on the bottom. Then I look at the bezel which looks actually cumbersome with a total of 4 chamfered edges including the glass. The side view just looks unfinished, boring, and thick. It is like 3 different company's worked on it. 1 for the aluminum body, 1 for the lcd/cover glass, and 1 for the bands then slapped it all together!

Conclusion:
The moto 360 at a glance from far away and only looking at the screen it looks really cool. But after quick inspection it lowers you expectation and I grow to hate it more and more. It is more like an early prototype since it is not a seamless design. It is too simple and boring with nothing that screams different. But it is still a beautiful watch compared to other Android Wear watches, don't get me wrong. The Watch makes me want to keep starring at it and it actually keeps growing on me and I'm loving more every time I see it.

These are my 100% honest feelings. I am trying to be very unbiased here. And these are "my" feelings so don't troll please, I'm just giving my perspective on it. I would love your opinions as well to help me visualize them a different way. Just look at them closely at quick intervals and note what you feel.

Band Insert View:

attachment.php

Side View:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Back View:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Smartwatches side view.jpg
    Smartwatches side view.jpg
    316.8 KB · Views: 7,965
  • Smartwatch button view.jpg
    Smartwatch button view.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 7,885
  • Smartwatches front view copy.jpg
    Smartwatches front view copy.jpg
    371 KB · Views: 8,302
  • Smartwatch top angle.jpg
    Smartwatch top angle.jpg
    362.4 KB · Views: 7,764
  • Smartwatches back view.jpg
    Smartwatches back view.jpg
    390.8 KB · Views: 7,733
Last edited:

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I don't understand the yellow ring around silver button on the aluminum body. Makes it look cheap.

Someone compared the Moto 360 as strapping a band to a Nest thermostat.

Nest_thermostat-578-80.jpg

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
The Moto 360 isn't a bad watch. The Apple Watch is just better, and also designed with women in mind, as well.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
The only 2 things I got out of this thread is that the OP defended the Moto360 before having seen it in person and he REALLY doesn't want to be "gotten wrong". :D

iCore24

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Michigan
The only 2 things I got out of this thread is that the OP defended the Moto360 before having seen it in person and he REALLY doesn't want to be "gotten wrong". :D

I guess lol. The Moto 360 renders were beautiful! But in real pictures is looks plain and thick. And I noticed most people compare the Moto to the Watch by renders and not real pictures. So I wanted to compare the actually products not photoshopped ones.

Cashmonee

macrumors 65832
May 27, 2006
The Moto 360 isn't a bad watch. The Apple Watch is just better, and also designed with women in mind, as well.

You realize the :apple:Watch isn't exactly real yet, right? Little premature to call it better than anything. Not defending the 360, just trying to inject a little reality that seems to escape many members of this subforum.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
You realize the :apple:Watch isn't exactly real yet, right? Little premature to call it better than anything. Not defending the 360, just trying to inject a little reality that seems to escape many members of this subforum.

The vast majority of us haven't seen either the Moto 360 or the :apple:Watch in person so we're going by pictures in the OP and they're at least real-life photos and not renders. Not sure what the problem is.

Cashmonee

macrumors 65832
May 27, 2006
The vast majority of us haven't seen either the Moto 360 or the :apple:Watch in person so we're going by pictures in the OP and they're at least real-life photos and not renders. Not sure what the problem is.

Really? Go to Best Buy. They have the Moto 360 on display alongside a dozen other smart watches. I just don't think it's appropriate to claim one is better than the other, when one of them is likely at least 6 months from release, and by the accounts of at least a few, far from finished. It screams fanboism.

iCore24

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Michigan
Really? Go to Best Buy. They have the Moto 360 on display alongside a dozen other smart watches. I just don't think it's appropriate to claim one is better than the other, when one of them is likely at least 6 months from release, and by the accounts of at least a few, far from finished. It screams fanboism.

I don't think there will be much difference in appearance with the Watch. This is what its probably going to look like since they announced it. Sure there might be little modifications but the overall look should be the same and thats what I'm trying to compare.

sickducker

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2014
I don't if I'm the only one, but to me, the moto 360 design screams ordinariness. It is designed to look "normal". Isn't that the most boring design philosophy? There are many minimalist watches, but they alway have something to them.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I don't if I'm the only one, but to me, the moto 360 design screams ordinariness. It is designed to look "normal". Isn't that the most boring design philosophy? There are many minimalist watches, but they alway have something to them.

Whereas on the Apple watch.

They have amazingly taken a rectangle rounded the corners off, flat screen on the front and put a fake winder on the side to try pretend it looks like a real watch.

Stunning innovation, really thinking outside the box on that one. :D

I do wonder what they did during the afternoon after they spent all morning on the design. ;)

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
To me :apple:Watch looks like one cohesive design whereas the Almost 360 looks like someone designed the aluminum tire and then slapped on a band afterwards. Maybe it's the way the bands connect; :apple:Watch bands connect in the middle, Almost 360 at the bottom. From what I've read pretty much everyone who's seen :apple:Watch is person has raved about the bands. I think that's where :apple:Watch has the ability to stand out. Especially considering you don't have to take it to a jeweler to swap out bands or resize the link band.

iCore24

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Michigan
I don't understand the yellow ring around silver button on the aluminum body. Makes it look cheap.

Someone compared the Moto 360 as strapping a band to a Nest thermostat.

The nest actually looks better then the Moto 360. The screen is at least flush and does not have that many bezels.

ARH1956

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
NE Alabama
To me :apple:Watch looks like one cohesive design whereas the Almost 360 looks like someone designed the aluminum tire and then slapped on a band afterwards. Maybe it's the way the bands connect; :apple:Watch bands connect in the middle, Almost 360 at the bottom. From what I've read pretty much everyone who's seen :apple:Watch is person has raved about the bands. I think that's where :apple:Watch has the ability to stand out. Especially considering you don't have to take it to a jeweler to swap out bands or resize the link band.
I've never taken a watch to a jeweler to resize or swap a band. Rolex, Tag, etc. are pretty straight forward. The tricky one for me is the Citizen Sky Hawk Titanium bands with the tiny clips inside the links. You have to be diligent to get those oriented properly after adding or removing a link. I do however agree that the Apple solution with the single center latch at the watch body is a revolutionary design, simple and should be fail proof.

ARH1956

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
NE Alabama
The Moto 360 is certainly a thick watch but no more so than many higher line watches with chronographs or timers, etc. I believe if the outer case on the Moto was slightly curved or sculpted at all and had a couple of start/stop buttons flanking the existing button it would not look so thick. If they had added an engraved design to the outer case or perhaps anodized it another color it would have helped. As it is now the case screams "I'm thick and proud of it". I like large watches and the diameter of the Moto 360 is no problem for me I just wish they'd been more creative with the case side design.

iCore24

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Michigan
The Moto 360 is certainly a thick watch but no more so than many higher line watches with chronographs or timers, etc. I believe if the outer case on the Moto was slightly curved or sculpted at all and had a couple of start/stop buttons flanking the existing button it would not look so thick. If they had added an engraved design to the outer case or perhaps anodized it another color it would have helped. As it is now the case screams "I'm thick and proud of it". I like large watches and the diameter of the Moto 360 is no problem for me I just wish they'd been more creative with the case side design.

Exactly, the diameter is great, the thickness isn't even the main problem. They should of tried distorting it by making it smooth and round instead of making 4 hard sharp bezels that in your words makes it scream "I'm thick and proud of it" lol

I love my Timex's design. Smooth corners!

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0069.JPG
    IMG_0069.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 8,585

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I don't disagree they the Moto 360 needs work.

I think we should be fair and accept that they probably spent a fraction of the time and money on the 360, it is out now, they have tried something new with a round screen, and the price is acceptable.

It's a v1.0 after all, and for a 1st attempt at a round screen I'd say it's not bad.

If you put on a quality dark/black metal linked strap that blended up into the face, it would look far far better even as a v1.0

I do hope they continue with it. They just need to be sure it's worth the time and money to develop the concept further.

I would like to see Round and Square watches available as there is no denying it. With a nice round analog watch design, if we lost the black area at the bottom, as a watch face to look at, it has the potential to look VASTLY better as a watch face than the Apple Watch with it's rectangular screen and black borders.

In that respect the Moto 360 had the Apple watch licked if that is the important aspect for you.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I'd never deny the Apple watch case looks nicer with a better finish, but it's just a case, and so easy to fix.

We all have personal tastes.

As I said a more classic display is vastly more suited to a round dial:

http://www.loadthegame.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/DSC_5000-e1410302266795.jpg

http://photos.pcpro.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_PC_Pro/dir_429/it_photo_214777_52.jpg

http://static.knowyourmobile.com/si...ery_wide/public/iwatchmetal.jpg?itok=ZZWqK5z5

http://cdn3.pcadvisor.co.uk/cmsdata/reviews/3562251/Moto-360-hands-on-Analogue-face.jpg

See how much nicer a round watch can look.

And YES, I know. We all know about the black area at the bottom, and of course, we all hope that this technical challenge can be resolved in future models.

One this is certain though, that no one seems to be talking about.

There is a healthy community starting up of people having fun creating new, classic/modern/imaginative faces for the 360.

I am guessing, and I could be wrong, but I fear that's going to be VERY locked down and restricted on the Apple phone.

iCore24

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Michigan
I'd never deny the Apple watch case looks nicer with a better finish, but it's just a case, and so easy to fix.

We all have personal tastes.

As I said a more classic display is vastly more suited to a round dial:

http://www.loadthegame.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/DSC_5000-e1410302266795.jpg

http://photos.pcpro.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_PC_Pro/dir_429/it_photo_214777_52.jpg

http://static.knowyourmobile.com/si...ery_wide/public/iwatchmetal.jpg?itok=ZZWqK5z5

http://cdn3.pcadvisor.co.uk/cmsdata/reviews/3562251/Moto-360-hands-on-Analogue-face.jpg

See how much nicer a round watch can look.

And YES, I know. We all know about the black area at the bottom, and of course, we all hope that this technical challenge can be resolved in future models.

One this is certain though, that no one seems to be talking about.

There is a healthy community starting up of people having fun creating new, classic/modern/imaginative faces for the 360.

I am guessing, and I could be wrong, but I fear that's going to be VERY locked down and restricted on the Apple phone.

True the analog watches look better round, but the Watch is going in a different direction. They are putting futuristic faces. The motion faces where it shows a butterfly flap its wings and changes color, the earth view that shows your location, the GALAXY view that shows all the planets in correct position, this is the future, not plain analog, But again not everyone likes that, so their is a need for circular watch faces.

photo-1-1.jpg
5b88efa4deedd9742ba3465239d8310d6a2d3a66.jpg
apple-watch-handson-001-100413618-gallery.jpg
apple-watch-earth_3032615k.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.