Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
Im in India right now (Chennai) and might be going to New Dehli in two weeks.

Im a bit paranoid since i read that in new dehli theres a lot of flights to west africa.

and considering india doesnt really do anything right. I'm pretty paranoid.

do you think i have anything worry about? I'm on the verge of not going, screw business its just not worth it.

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
Ebola can only be spread by direct contact with the body fluids of a person suffering from the disease.

So unless you plan on spending time in very close contact with some sick from the disease - or help more or prepare the body of someone who died from it -there is next to no chance you will get it.

As on any trip, it may be wise to exercise extra caution. Wash your hands frequently, but especially before eating and after using toilet facilities. Alcohol-based hand sanitizer can be used if necessary.

There is a tremendous amount of fear about this disease at present. But the reality is that it can only be caught by eating "bush meat" from infected animals, or by very close contact with a visibly sick person.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
On the list of things to be afraid of, Ebola should be nowhere near the top.

You are in India right now. India has about 130,000 traffic deaths per year. So that's something you should be just _slightly_ more afraid of than Ebola. Things that are more likely to kill you in India than Ebola are tigers, elephants, being doused in petrol and set on fire by your neighbours.

(That's not country specific. In the UK, about 50 people every year are killed by cows. Yes, cows. Cows are killing lots more people than Ebola ever will. That's why we kill the cows and eat them :p ) Of course the biggest killer by far in the UK are step ladders.

Here is a frightening photo of something far more dangerous than Ebola: http://www.vertikal.net/en/news/story/13244/

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
It's a very deadly disease, but it's not very contagious, so no, you shouldn't be worried.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
Measles and 'flu kill like 20 times more people and are much, much more contagious. I wouldn't be worried until it comes knocking on your door. Ebola is also only be vectored when you begin exhibiting symptoms, and with proper care and enough fluid intake your chances of survival are much higher. In the US, the rate of fatalities would be a lot lower than it is in nations in Africa.

Granted, there's some common sense stuff that can lower your chances of contracting any virus, but that doesn't mean you have to be expecting to catch something around every corner.

:)

Marcus72

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2009
Measles and 'flu kill like 20 times more people and are much, much more contagious. I wouldn't be worried until it comes knocking on your door. Ebola is also only be vectored when you begin exhibiting symptoms, and with proper care and enough fluid intake your chances of survival are much higher. In the US, the rate of fatalities would be a lot lower than it is in nations in Africa.

Granted, there's some common sense stuff that can lower your chances of contracting any virus, but that doesn't mean you have to be expecting to catch something around every corner.

:)

You're speaking from American viewpoint, the dude who ask the question is in India. Have u ever been to India. Once you have that American viewpoint alters.

DUCKofD3ATH

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
Universe 0 Timeline
Ebola can only be spread by direct contact with the body fluids of a person suffering from the disease.

Actually, nobody knows where Ebola comes from, but it almost certainly does not originate from human beings. So maybe you can get it from a monkey or a spider bite.

So unless you plan on spending time in very close contact with some sick from the disease - or help more or prepare the body of someone who died from it -there is next to no chance you will get it.

True. Also, since the OP isn't planning on traveling to Africa, his chances of remaining Ebola free are very good.

As on any trip, it may be wise to exercise extra caution. Wash your hands frequently, but especially before eating and after using toilet facilities. Alcohol-based hand sanitizer can be used if necessary.

Good advice in all circumstances, especially since dengue fever, hepatitis, tuberculosis, malaria, and pneumonia are pretty common in India thanks to drug resistant bacteria.

There is a tremendous amount of fear about this disease at present. But the reality is that it can only be caught by eating "bush meat" from infected animals, or by very close contact with a visibly sick person.

You can become infected by having blood from someone who has Ebola splashed in your eyes or mouth.

Renzatic

Suspended
You can become infected by having blood from someone who has Ebola splashed in your eyes or mouth.

Or spit, sweat, pee, or any other bodily fluid. Just about anything that leaks out of a person can transmit it when they're showing symptoms.

Though even with that considered, it's still difficult to get, and...really, no matter where you're at in the world, what are the chances of walking by someone who's had direct contact with an ebola patient while in west Africa? 1 in 60,000,000 give or take?

Hell, you probably have a better chance of being struck by lightning or winning the lottery. Maybe even both at the exact same time.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
You're speaking from American viewpoint, the dude who ask the question is in India. Have u ever been to India. Once you have that American viewpoint alters.

Nonsense. There are no reports of Ebola in India. There are reports of 130,000 traffic deaths per year in India. That's all you need to know. Basic maths. Unfortunately your brains goes way off in the wrong direction when it hears things that are out of its experience and seem frightening. Since you see cars everyday, you are not afraid of traffic accidents. Since you've never seen an Ebola virus and it's new and strange and in all the newspapers, you are afraid. The mortality rate makes you afraid, even though a disease with a million infected and 1% mortality rate is much more dangerous than one with thousand infected and a 100% mortality rate.

And when I said step ladders were dangerous, that wasn't a joke. It's one of the biggest killers because they seem to be absolutely not dangerous and people do the most stupid things with them.

Last edited:

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

I don't think I have ever in my life have blood from anyone splashed in my eyes or mouth. That's how people's imagination goes wrong and increases their perception of risk: Blood getting splashed in your eyes and mouth is a powerful image, and something that you wouldn't like, Ebola or not. Since the image is so powerful, your brain thinks it could easily happen and needs to be avoided, and _then_ you combine it with Ebola. (Medical staff can avoid this risk quite easily).

Marcus72

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2009
I don't think I have ever in my life have blood from anyone splashed in my eyes or mouth. That's how people's imagination goes wrong and increases their perception of risk: Blood getting splashed in your eyes and mouth is a powerful image, and something that you wouldn't like, Ebola or not. Since the image is so powerful, your brain thinks it could easily happen and needs to be avoided, and _then_ you combine it with Ebola. (Medical staff can avoid this risk quite easily).

Maybe somebody else will educate you. I'm ending this conversation with you thinking blood splashing is how the virus is contracted.

DUCKofD3ATH

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
Universe 0 Timeline

In the book "The Hot Zone", a Nairobi Hospital ER doctor working on a patient stricken with Ebola was spattered by vomited blood, much of which went into his mouth. Unlikely but it does happen.

The doc came down with the Marburg form of Ebola but survived (Marburg has a mortality rate of about 25%).

----------

Or spit, sweat, pee, or any other bodily fluid. Just about anything that leaks out of a person can transmit it when they're showing symptoms.

Though even with that considered, it's still difficult to get, and...really, no matter where you're at in the world, what are the chances of walking by someone who's had direct contact with an ebola patient while in west Africa? 1 in 60,000,000 give or take?

Hell, you probably have a better chance of being struck by lightning or winning the lottery. Maybe even both at the exact same time.

Ever read "The Hot Zone"? We had an outbreak of Ebola in the US, but it turned out that the new strain (Reston Ebola) was the only filovirus not fatal to humans. What are the odds of that?

QuantumLo0p

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2006
U.S.A.
Contact not needed to contract ebola.

Here is a excerpt of Lisa M Brosseau, ScD, and Rachael Jones, PhD, commentary on the web site of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy Academic Health Center, University of Minnesota:

"We believe there is scientific and epidemiologic evidence that Ebola virus has the potential to be transmitted via infectious aerosol particles both near and at a distance from infected patients, which means that healthcare workers should be wearing respirators, not facemasks."

There is much more to the commentary and IMO a decent read if you want a primer on the basics. There have been a number of cases where contact has not been determined where transmittal has occurred but the main stream media echo chamber doesn't talk about it much.

HighDesert50

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2011
If you are interested in more clinical insight, the CDC has a listserv providing info on current issues and emerging health threats. Search on Clinician Outreach and Communication Activity (COCA).

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Ebola is a risk, mean while I am texting this while I am driving in the highway at 120 Miles per hour!!! Look! no hands!!!

ipodlover77

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2009
Located in MD. One Ebola patient was moved to NIH in Bethesda which is about 20 minutes away from me. Possible case in Virginia, 40 minutes away. It is worrisome to know that they're so close.

I hope the people who caught ebola become cured though, cross my fingers.

DUCKofD3ATH

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
Universe 0 Timeline
Located in MD. One Ebola patient was moved to NIH in Bethesda which is about 20 minutes away from me. Possible case in Virginia, 40 minutes away. It is worrisome to know that they're so close.

I hope the people who caught ebola become cured though, cross my fingers.

Why worry about them being so close? They've been quarantined so there's no threat now.

But BWI, Reagan, and Dulles airports are all within an hour of where you live. I'd worry about the unknown carriers of Ebola passing through those international airports.

ipodlover77

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2009
Why worry about them being so close? They've been quarantined so there's no threat now.

But BWI, Reagan, and Dulles airports are all within an hour of where you live. I'd worry about the unknown carriers of Ebola passing through those international airports.

I'm just worried about situations where a nurse might not follow protocol or something accidentally slipping by protocol and that said nurse going to well populated areas like the mall, grocery stores, food courts, etc etc.

And it seems as though people are quarantined after its been found out they might have something. What if more situations arise where people are coming back from a trip in Africa and getting other people sick before finally being quarantined.

Probably getting paranoid but still.

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
wow i hadn't replied because nobody quoted me.

thanks for all the help guys.

i don't think I'm going to new Dehli anyways for that business meeting, because i guess Dwahli or something is a big holiday here, and the guy wants to stay with his family.

I was just worried because i looked up that Dehli has one of the most West African flights in the country.

And given the way things work here (i guess in any 3rd world country too) they're as i don't know prepared i guess? and given that you act or are someone of authority I'm sure you can slip by the check points even if you do have a fever. Airport security is probably the most relaxed i've ever seen at time at other times corrupt. But Chennai is pretty ok, they're usually much nicer here.

Honestly I'm just paranoid, but the thought of how easily someone probably can just get by just chips away at me. Because of some of their habits and that their health care system is worse then the US, it just think too much. I hope it doesnt reach india, because i believe it would spread fast if it did, and i befriended the staff members but hopefully there will be a vaccine out soon before anymore people are hurt.

But i've posted at other places and your posts have reassured me not to be so scared. I mean hell i don't mind standing up for myself in a fist fight and potentially getting my butt handed to me, but I'm a coward when it comes to diseases.

It is true the traffic here is crazy, i've seen at least more then 20 people die since i came here (well more then half of that was in one crash when a bus ran over a bunch of guys on scooters, RIP). it is a bit dangerous, here and china i get damn scared crossing the road. lol even on taxis and the 3 wheelers they have in india.

but again thanks guys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.