Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grandM

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
So who is also frustrated at not finding a decent domain name for marketing its apps. Seems like all good names have been registered by go daddy or people just aiming to rent them out at obnoxious prices.

Suspended
May 1, 2010
California
This has been a problem for a while now. The past solutions have been for new extensions like .biz .net etc... They've had some luck but not much as .com is still the main one.

The good news is that things are changing, people don't really pay attention to site names, they click or tap.

Example: In past years, you'd tell someone to go to "coolsite.com" ... now you just give them a link they click/tap on.

So your site can be "ran_out_of_cool_sites.com" and the user wouldn't know or care because they really don't see it and they most likely don't type it in.

More "web" content is now accessed native. This includes deep links and hidden name links.

In other words, as we continue to move towards mobile, fewer and fewer people are bringing up a mobile browser (safari) and more and more are tapping on a button or link or getting a "behind the button" response.

Look at two examples:
1. how do people get their weather? open a browser, or a screen widget / app? The app doesn't have you type in http://www.getweather.com, it just goes there or offers a list.

2. How do you get stock quotes? You could go to a site in safari or you could open an app that gets the info from the site. You might not even know what the site name is.

The value of website names is dropping fast, people don't care anymore, nobody wan't to type in a name.

The value of an easy to remember .com is pretty much gone. Who cares if the site is called: coolsite.com or cool_site.com or _site_cool.com...?

Point: don't worry about it, provide the link, they're not going to type it in anyways.

grandM

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
This has been a problem for a while now. The past solutions have been for new extensions like .biz .net etc... They've had some luck but not much as .com is still the main one.

The good news is that things are changing, people don't really pay attention to site names, they click or tap.

Example: In past years, you'd tell someone to go to "coolsite.com" ... now you just give them a link they click/tap on.

So your site can be "ran_out_of_cool_sites.com" and the user wouldn't know or care because they really don't see it and they most likely don't type it in.

More "web" content is now accessed native. This includes deep links and hidden name links.

In other words, as we continue to move towards mobile, fewer and fewer people are bringing up a mobile browser (safari) and more and more are tapping on a button or link or getting a "behind the button" response.

Look at two examples:
1. how do people get their weather? open a browser, or a screen widget / app? The app doesn't have you type in http://www.getweather.com, it just goes there or offers a list.

2. How do you get stock quotes? You could go to a site in safari or you could open an app that gets the info from the site. You might not even know what the site name is.

The value of website names is dropping fast, people don't care anymore, nobody wan't to type in a name.

The value of an easy to remember .com is pretty much gone. Who cares if the site is called: coolsite.com or cool_site.com or _site_cool.com...?

Point: don't worry about it, provide the link, they're not going to type it in anyways.

true but I am also thinking at a legal viewpoint
say somebody registered stupidmonkey.com and does NOTHING with it and I register stupidmonkey.eu and put up a site etc. Could they sue me or not...

Suspended
May 1, 2010
California
true but I am also thinking at a legal viewpoint
say somebody registered stupidmonkey.com and does NOTHING with it and I register stupidmonkey.eu and put up a site etc. Could they sue me or not...

Anyone can sue anyone else for almost any reason. Patent trolls do this for a living.

I have a legal background in business contracts and have done a few cases.

When someone sues someone else they have to establish cause and damage.

In the case you state, someone would have to prove that they were damaged by you having a domain that's similar to theirs.

Hard to prove damages based on you saying they've done nothing. In fact, it sucks that someone would have a domain and not do anything with it.

If, however, they register the name and have the website (domain) then they could have a case. They could say "we have a product called ____ and a matching domain" he caused us damage by using the name of our product.

In that case, it might be an issue of who used the name 1st or registered it 1st. I heard Candy Crush was going after people using the name "saga" in apps. I don't have a background in name and protecting them, so I don't know their standings.

I had trouble getting a good name for a site years ago as it seemed all the good names were taken. What I noticed in my search was the most of these names weren't actually being used, yet I couldn't use them without buying them.

The purpose of the Patent and trademarks is to protect someone that invests time so that they can make money from their investment. Now, esp with patent trolls, it's become a game of think of an idea, patent it, and sue anyone that comes near.

I've invented a solution to the drought, I checked some patents and found some dating from the 1970's, yet no product was on the market.

Podcasting can't be done without paying a fee because of a patent, storing data can't be done without paying for a patent. Look up newegg and their battle with these trolls.

The sad thing is that if the government doesn't address this, they people will be hurt.

I have an invention that can nearly end the drought for a home, yet it just sits there waiting for legal reasons... It works, I've used it, California is paying the price of the drought, yet because of a complex legal system, the answer just sits there.

Too many are abusing the system trying to find a way out of doing work, trying to get easy money.

Look at the rush of .com names that were snatched up back at the start of the .com boom... The system doesn't work.

grandM

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
Anyone can sue anyone else for almost any reason. Patent trolls do this for a living.

I have a legal background in business contracts and have done a few cases.

When someone sues someone else they have to establish cause and damage.

In the case you state, someone would have to prove that they were damaged by you having a domain that's similar to theirs.

Hard to prove damages based on you saying they've done nothing. In fact, it sucks that someone would have a domain and not do anything with it.

If, however, they register the name and have the website (domain) then they could have a case. They could say "we have a product called ____ and a matching domain" he caused us damage by using the name of our product.

In that case, it might be an issue of who used the name 1st or registered it 1st. I heard Candy Crush was going after people using the name "saga" in apps. I don't have a background in name and protecting them, so I don't know their standings.

I had trouble getting a good name for a site years ago as it seemed all the good names were taken. What I noticed in my search was the most of these names weren't actually being used, yet I couldn't use them without buying them.

The purpose of the Patent and trademarks is to protect someone that invests time so that they can make money from their investment. Now, esp with patent trolls, it's become a game of think of an idea, patent it, and sue anyone that comes near.

I've invented a solution to the drought, I checked some patents and found some dating from the 1970's, yet no product was on the market.

Podcasting can't be done without paying a fee because of a patent, storing data can't be done without paying for a patent. Look up newegg and their battle with these trolls.

The sad thing is that if the government doesn't address this, they people will be hurt.

I have an invention that can nearly end the drought for a home, yet it just sits there waiting for legal reasons... It works, I've used it, California is paying the price of the drought, yet because of a complex legal system, the answer just sits there.

Too many are abusing the system trying to find a way out of doing work, trying to get easy money.

Look at the rush of .com names that were snatched up back at the start of the .com boom... The system doesn't work.
uhu that is the problem... They do nothing with it and hinder genuine good ideas. Hope you can still launch...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.