Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Today at its media event in Cupertino, Apple SVP of software engineering Craig Federighi announced that Camera Roll would be returning to the Photos app in iOS 8.1. Apple had removed Camera Roll with iOS 8.

DSC_0184.jpg
Photo courtesy of The Verge
The Photos app in iOS 8 splits a users' photos between three sections: Photos, which organizes photos into years, collections and moments, iCloud Photo Sharing and Albums, which contains an alternative to Camera Roll in a "Recently Added" album that organizes photos by date.

Camera Roll allowed users to have easy access to their recently added photos without having to go into a photo within a section of the Photos app, which caused many users to be upset by the loss of the feature. iOS 8.1 will be released on Monday, October 20.

Article Link: Apple to Bring Back Camera Roll in iOS 8.1

calisurfboy

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
I noticed the past few years Apple likes to take away features from a program then add them later on as if it is an improvement or "new feature."

Here is to hoping the iWork update helps to get closer to what it use to be several years ago.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
The good news is they are listening to their customers.

I'd like to think that, yet, there's still no multi-windows on iPad.
Not even as iPad Air 2 exclusive, which I honestly expected much more than it becoming an iPad Air 1 feature.

Well, at least that saves me from generation envy, I'd really need multi-windows though.
Maybe next time around and possibly when I upgrade.
Probably the one feature to make the call for any iPad upgrade as things seem now.

YMMW

why lol?

Glassed Silver:mac

NMBob

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2007
New Mexico
I noticed the past few years Apple likes to take away features from a program then add them later on as if it is an improvement or "new feature."

Here is to hoping the iWork update helps to get closer to what it use to be several years ago.

I wonder if anyone at Apple actually feared for their life at the reaction to being stupid and getting rid of the Camera Roll. They should have been. :)

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
The even better news is the camera roll is on your phone, right now. All they did was change the name. Works exactly the same.

So I was imagining not having the option to view all my photos in one place without having them divided up into annoying chunks by date? Even older photos that don't show up in recently added?

RubeHefner

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2014
The even better news is the camera roll is on your phone, right now. All they did was change the name. Works exactly the same.

BS! Camera roll has ALL your photos. NOT just recently added. Not everyone wants to go through sub folders to find photos. Camera Roll=All in one spot. They really should get rid of "recently deleted" as well. Makes no sense.

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
The problem with the new iCloud Drive and Photos wasn't the disappearance of the Camera Roll.

It's the fact that Camera Roll supported your latest 1,000 photos outside of your iCloud Drive space. Since the iOS 8 betas, alllllllll of my photos take space in my iCloud Drive and I've had that little popup appear at least a thousand times to buy an upgrade plan for my drive (okay, that popup always re-appearing was a bug though).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.