Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maclove4life

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2014
I'm not sure...i've been listening to his advice about editing advices...but do you respect him?

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
An average editor can be an excellent teacher, and vice versa. Personally, I've never liked tutorials that center on the tool, unless it's specifically necessary. Video editors are pretty much all the same. The art is in knowing how and when edit, and more often than not, tutorials concentrate on features rather than on techniques. I've never watched his tuts, so I'm off topic, but it's important to keep that in mind. I'll often find people who know every button in an editing suite but couldn't give rhythm to an edit, and I've worked with a few people who knew only the basic tools, but were able to make me watch full lengths docs about completely uninteresting topics. That's the beauty about editing, you can focus on the skill, not the tool: new software comes and goes, but editing stays the same, you just have to adapt a bit. Over the years I've used Speed Razor, Blade, Liquid, Premiere, Final Cut. In five years, FCPX might be a thing of the past, and yet, you'll still be able to make the same cuts. Some software make it much easier/quick, but you can get the same result from pretty much anything.

maclove4life

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2014
An average editor can be an excellent teacher, and vice versa. Personally, I've never liked tutorials that center on the tool, unless it's specifically necessary. Video editors are pretty much all the same. The art is in knowing how and when edit, and more often than not, tutorials concentrate on features rather than on techniques. I've never watched his tuts, so I'm off topic, but it's important to keep that in mind. I'll often find people who know every button in an editing suite but couldn't give rhythm to an edit, and I've worked with a few people who knew only the basic tools, but were able to make me watch full lengths docs about completely uninteresting topics. That's the beauty about editing, you can focus on the skill, not the tool: new software comes and goes, but editing stays the same, you just have to adapt a bit. Over the years I've used Speed Razor, Blade, Liquid, Premiere, Final Cut. In five years, FCPX might be a thing of the past, and yet, you'll still be able to make the same cuts. Some software make it much easier/quick, but you can get the same result from pretty much anything.

this...i agree...it's about art...how you make it good..

augustheat

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2008
I follow Larry on Twitter, and have purchased his tutorials.

Not only can he speak the language of new users, but he also deals with some pretty complex topics, as well. His video tutorials are second to none. Whether you're into FCPX or Adobe, he's got you covered. Personally, I like his teaching style. He's a pleasant personality, and is extremely knowledgable in the area of video production. (And no, I don't know him personally, nor does he have any idea that I've responded to this post)

In answer to your question, I respect a lot of guys who do tutorials that help us all get better at our craft: Ripple Training, No Film School, FCP.CO, Final Cut King, Ken Stone, MacBreak Studio. I would put Larry Jordan right up there with the best! I would encourage you to check out his website and look at his available tutorials. You won't be sorry!...

maclove4life

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2014
I follow Larry on Twitter, and have purchased his tutorials.

Not only can he speak the language of new users, but he also deals with some pretty complex topics, as well. His video tutorials are second to none. Whether you're into FCPX or Adobe, he's got you covered. Personally, I like his teaching style. He's a pleasant personality, and is extremely knowledgable in the area of video production. (And no, I don't know him personally, nor does he have any idea that I've responded to this post)

In answer to your question, I respect a lot of guys who do tutorials that help us all get better at our craft: Ripple Training, No Film School, FCP.CO, Final Cut King, Ken Stone, MacBreak Studio. I would put Larry Jordan right up there with the best! I would encourage you to check out his website and look at his available tutorials. You won't be sorry!...
Most def right on. It's hard to find a good teacher at times

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.