Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

veedubshafer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
I'm thinking I might be able to get away with having a 16GB phone. I have a 32gb 5s and if I delete all my text messages and keep my photos transferred to my computer I don't really have much else on my phone. I don't have any large apps and I don't store music on it.

So anyway, before adding anything to your phone how many GB are available right out of the box?

veedubshafer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
Ok thanks. I'm just going to get a 16 then. I got the 32 so I never had to delete any pics or texts but after a while you have to anyway. Also, the yearly resale value (for those of us who sell every year) doesn't go up much for the extra storage.

runningtowin

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2011
Ok thanks. I'm just going to get a 16 then. I got the 32 so I never had to delete any pics or texts but after a while you have to anyway. Also, the yearly resale value (for those of us who sell every year) doesn't go up much for the extra storage.

Yup. I have all the apps I use (and need) and have ~5 GB left now for pics / movies I'll delete after I watch / offline or cached music.

veedubshafer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
Get the 64 version. With the size of apps and music files getting bigger everyday getting the 16GB version makes no sense.

Yup. I have all the apps I use (and need) and have ~5 GB left now for pics / movies I'll delete after I watch / offline or cached music.

Thanks guys. I just purchased a 16GB SG for personal pickup from the Apple Store. I should be fine with 16gb. If I get tired of deleting stuff I'll be back to a larger capacity phone next year.

canadianpj

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2008
Everyone I know who has gotten a 16GB regrets it. I'm not saying this, clearly, is everyone but everyone I know is going 32GB at a minimum. Given how large things are these days they shouldn't even sell 16.

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
Thanks guys. I just purchased a 16GB SG for personal pickup from the Apple Store. I should be fine with 16gb. If I get tired of deleting stuff I'll be back to a larger capacity phone next year.

It's really not enough. I haven't even started to use my phone as fully as I'm going to and I'm already using 29 gigs. It's good to have a device on you that's always going to be able to capture a photo, always going to be able to do what you need it to.

If you're one who constantly connects your phone to a computer, it may be fine, but I hate having to deal with syncing, offloading, etc - I just like to manage my phone as its own device. And the price difference? If you are planning on upgrading next year too, it's 8 bucks a month, or 25 cents per day to triple your storage when you do the math.

justindavis098

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2014
I have 7 gigs left. I have absolutely everything I need on my phone. I load all my photos to the cloud and don't save my texts etc. I have my music all downloaded and the two games I play. I don't use half the space. That's just me though. I'm a heavy user but the stuff I use don't eat up a bunch of gigs so the 16 gig works for me. I can understand why people would get the 64 though. Personally I just don't need the space. So I didn't spend the extra money to get the 64. Personal choice. I don't regret it. I didn't fill up my 4s either.

veedubshafer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
It's really not enough. I haven't even started to use my phone as fully as I'm going to and I'm already using 29 gigs. It's good to have a device on you that's always going to be able to capture a photo, always going to be able to do what you need it to.

If you're one who constantly connects your phone to a computer, it may be fine, but I hate having to deal with syncing, offloading, etc - I just like to manage my phone as its own device. And the price difference? If you are planning on upgrading next year too, it's 8 bucks a month, or 25 cents per day to triple your storage when you do the math.

It's mainly old messages and pictures that use up my memory. The messages are obviously pointless. I deleted 6gb of them today. Any decent pictures are uploaded to facebook so they're available there. They're just crappy cell phone pics anyway...not worth doing a whole lot with.

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
It's mainly old messages and pictures that use up my memory. The messages are obviously pointless. I deleted 6gb of them today. Any decent pictures are uploaded to facebook so they're available there. They're just crappy cell phone pics anyway...not worth doing a whole lot with.

I guess - I'm a photographer by trade and take some of my best pictures with various iPhones over the years.

e3f4ef7c321711e3b89522000ab5bc8d_8.jpg

I took that on a 4S back when it was the flagship phone. BMW picked it up from Insta and printed it in their yearly mag given to new BMW customers. If you automatically think cell phone pictures are crappy, you'll take crappy photos.

As for the texts, I can't count the times I have saved the day by pulling an old attachment from an iMessage I received a month ago, or finding an address somebody sent me a while back via an old iMessage stored on my phone.

My phone is a living space of all information relevant to me and I need it to continually grow. Once the database, so to speak, grows big enough, it's crazy what you can instantly find by pulling down that spotlight bar. It starts to feel like it knows everything you need to know.

veedubshafer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
I guess - I'm a photographer by trade and take some of my best pictures with various iPhones over the years.

I took that on a 4S back when it was the flagship phone. BMW picked it up from Insta and printed it in their yearly mag given to new BMW customers. If you automatically think cell phone pictures are crappy, you'll take crappy photos.

As for the texts, I can't count the times I have saved the day by pulling an old attachment from an iMessage I received a month ago, or finding an address somebody sent me a while back via an old iMessage stored on my phone.

My phone is a living space of all information relevant to me and I need it to continually grow. Once the database, so to speak, grows big enough, it's crazy what you can instantly find by pulling down that spotlight bar. It starts to feel like it knows everything you need to know.

I hear ya. The purpose of this thread was just to find out what I'd have to work with. I think I'll be fine with 16. If it starts being too small in the year to come I'll get a bigger one next time. A year flies by so quick so I'm not worried about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.