Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scotth48

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2014
East tn
After updating to 8.1 my sms still doesn't work to other phones is there something I need to do first to get this to work.

mactumors

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2008
I opened messages on my Mac and it asked if I wanted to turn on SMS relay. Then a dialog box popped up on my iPhone and I had to enter a code from my Mac.

So there is a set-up process. It doesn't work immediately.

stickyfingers85

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2010
I can't seem to get SMS relay working either

Have ios 8.1 and Yosemite

Is there a setting I have to turn on in the iphone or the mac?

Scotth48

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2014
East tn
I have an iPad air and iPhone 5 it worked for a second now it doesn't work I tried turning off iMessage but it don't work

mactumors

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2008
On your iOS device there is now a Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding section.

AllergyDoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2013
Utah, USA
All devices signed into same iCloud account.
On iPhone, Settings, Messages, Text Message Forwarding will show what devices are available to forward to. If you don't see your device in there, check the settings on the device. Some people have had to sign in and out of iCloud on a particular device to get it to kick in.

Edit: Basic info here from Apple.

stickyfingers85

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2010
On your iOS device there is now a Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding section.

Thanks for this, but when i turn it on it says enter the code shown on your iMac, but nothing comes up on the iMac.

Tried closing and opening messages again, but no joy

Oli20

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2014
Mitten

Does this only appear after setting up a relay? My phone doesn't have this option but I haven't gotten home yet to update my ipad and have it close to the phone.

Scotth48

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2014
East tn
I see Rex message forwarding on phone it wants a code I don't see it on my iPad air how do I get the code

Scotth48

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2014
East tn
Ok got it working but cannot send voice or videos to any other numbers but iPhones i thought you would be able to do this with any number? I can receive texts but the other features don't work unless they have an iphone

stickyfingers85

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2010
Just noticed that if i try to make a call using my imac through the iphone it says that both devices need to be using the same icloud and facetime account.

They are though

Suspect something is wrong...

b1gted

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2007
Bartlesville, OK
yeah works fine, I have 3 devices, they all show up turned off in messages option under settings. Turning them on, each device displays a code that I have to then enter on my phone. It then works great.

Last edited:

Scotth48

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2014
East tn
I have it working but the feature to send a voice message or a short video clip only works from iPhone to iPhone it don't work with any other phones.that kinda sucks

stickyfingers85

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2010
Finally working for me, but had to turn off and on imessages on my iphone.

THen when i opened messages on the Mac, it asked if i wanted to enable SMS relay

It wasn't a smooth process

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
You need to have your Apple ID email address ticked in iMessage as well as your phone number.

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
this is it. I only used my phone #. both FaceTime (phone relays) and SMS relay require you also use your email address.

For me I just had to be consistent. On the one machine where I had not ticked my phone number, I could not get the authorization message until I check the box for my phone number.

A.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.