Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Halamire

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2009
How long before banks start supporting ApplePay because both my banks IUCU and Simple don't support ApplePay, kind of makes me want to switch banks now :(

infantrytrophy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
How long before banks start supporting ApplePay because both my banks IUCU and Simple don't support ApplePay, kind of makes me want to switch banks now :(

I recommend USAA Federal Savings Bank. Outstanding, very customer-friendly. The USAA MasterCard is scheduled to work with Apple Pay on Nov 8th.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
I recommend USAA Federal Savings Bank. Outstanding, very customer-friendly. The USAA MasterCard is scheduled to work with Apple Pay on Nov 8th.

USAA is awesome, and I am so glad I have them, not only for banking but for insurance. However, you are aware it's only open to military and their families, right? Not everyone can just sign up.

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
USAA is awesome, and I am so glad I have them, not only for banking but for insurance. However, you are aware it's only open to military and their families, right? Not everyone can just sign up.

There was a period where anyone COULD sign up, but USAA nixed that a little while back. Anyone who got an account before the sign ups closed is still a member, but new accounts can only be opened if you're in the military or a military family.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010

The number of retailers that accept apple pay is so small that it doesn't make sense. I'd wait until a lot of retailers offer it. By then, more banks will offer it too. Especially if they think customers will base their banking decisions on Apple Pay.

oddnendz

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2007
Raleigh, NC
There was a period where anyone COULD sign up, but USAA nixed that a little while back. Anyone who got an account before the sign ups closed is still a member, but new accounts can only be opened if you're in the military or a military family.

I thought it opened up for banking only, but I thought the insurance remained for military and their families only.

----------

I can only recommend switching banks or putting pressure on your current banks to support Apple Pay.

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
I thought it opened up for banking only, but I thought the insurance remained for military and their families only.

Yes, that is correct. But as far as I understand it, now even the banking is closed off to the general public.

Halamire

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2009
See I was also thinking that, the only place where I'm at now is McDonald's that accepts ApplePay.
Simple said they are working hard on getting onboard but the customer service rep couldn't give me an eta. As for IUCU she didn't know much about it. So I may wait, or just open up a Wells Fargo account.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
The number of retailers that accept apple pay is so small that it doesn't make sense. I'd wait until a lot of retailers offer it. By then, more banks will offer it too. Especially if they think customers will base their banking decisions on Apple Pay.

It's a chicken-or-egg situation though: How will banks know their customers want it if they aren't trying to use it?

And the list of places is a lot larger than you think. The list of retailers Apple shows are the high profile ones, but there are a lot of other places with NFC that work fine too.

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
See I was also thinking that, the only place where I'm at now is McDonald's that accepts ApplePay.
Simple said they are working hard on getting onboard but the customer service rep couldn't give me an eta. As for IUCU she didn't know much about it. So I may wait, or just open up a Wells Fargo account.

Download "master card nearby" - use that app to see what other places around you have an NFC enabled pay station. There's more than you would think.

Dandrews524

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2009
New York
I contacted my bank last week and ask them if they would support apple pay and they said sometime in November for sure. I wish it was sooner but at least they are working on it. Is it sad that if they said no I would switch to Bank of America?

Halamire

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2009
It's not sad at all because like I said I'm half tempted to switch to Wells Fargo just to use it b

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Download "master card nearby" - use that app to see what other places around you have an NFC enabled pay station. There's more than you would think.

So you are going to change where you shop depending on if they accept Apple Pay or not?:rolleyes:

It's not sad at all because like I said I'm half tempted to switch to Wells Fargo just to use it b

And you are going to change banks for Apple Pay?

Is this real?

Halamire

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2009
Well I'm currently in Nebraska using an Indiana bank. Might just open a Wells Fargo account just to have a local bank.

goldnose

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2014
Didn't Apple announce that 200 more banks have signed on? Did they ever say which ones?

Halamire

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2009
My car loan is through Wells Fargo so I may open one up today

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Didn't Apple announce that 200 more banks have signed on? Did they ever say which ones?

I'm not sure the list has been published.

Also remember, just because a bank (or store chain) has "signed on" doesn't mean they're ready just yet. :cool:

Just as Rome wasn't built in a day, I expect Apple Pay (if it takes off) will be more of a gradual market adoption over weeks or months as retailers prepare for the Oct 2015 EMV liability shift deadline.

JoeTomasone

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2014
I can only recommend switching banks or putting pressure on your current banks to support Apple Pay.

It's also a great excuse to look for a BETTER bank. I left Regions for PNC because Regions didn't - at the time - appear to support Apple Pay. When I checked out PNC, I found that they were a much better bank overall - none of the fees that Regions had been charging me, and a superb "Virtual Wallet" system that is awesome.

Of course, after I switched, moved direct deposit, and changed all my bills over then Regions was announced as one of the "Gang of 500" the other day.. Had I known they would be supporting it, I likely wouldn't have switched, and wouldn't have known how much I preferred PNC. So, thanks Apple! :D

----------

I'm not sure the list has been published.

Here's a good list:

http://usa.visa.com/clients-partners/technology-and-innovation/apple-pay/financial-institutions/index.jsp

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.