Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hazanshu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2014
I purchased a 15inch retina.

Third party applications refuse to work and end up in worse resolution than what would be expected of a normal display screen on a Windows 98 computer. Since third party applications are pretty much the whole point of using an operating system for me how can I either

a) Fix it
b) Use a normal mac display (I would rather not have minor enhancement with major defects)

I would wait for third party applications to update to retina, but hey look how great thats worked out so far.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Which applications???

I have had no problem with any third party apps on my rMBP, you clearly have a problem with some specific applications, maybe yopu should have researched your usage before buying a retina screen.

JoelTheSuperior

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2014
Which applications are you having problems with?

The vast majority of applications have been updated for retina but even those that haven't will run at a level of quality that's no worse than what they would run at on a standard 1440x900 screen (the resolution that the MacBook Pro with Retina Display's 2880x1800 resolution emulates).

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Which applications are you having problems with?

The vast majority of applications have been updated for retina but even those that haven't will run at a level of quality that's no worse than what they would run at on a standard 1440x900 screen (the resolution that the MacBook Pro with Retina Display's 2880x1800 resolution emulates).

A pixel-doubled app will look worse on a retina than if it was running on a regular screen.

That said, it's been a good couple of years since I've come across an app that hasn't been updated for retina. What are you using that's not updated?

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
The only one I've run across is ChemDraw - the 2014 edition *still* doesn't have retina support and they apparently have no plans to add it, so it looks hideous.

They know that it's the only drawing package that chemists use, so they have no need to put any effort in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.