Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LastLine

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 24, 2005
Got my iPad Air 2 at my local KRCS today. Nice easy walk in and grab which given Meadowhall told me 'later this week' was a nice surprise.

Anyway more to the point, I was pleasantly surprised to see that control centre has an extra toggle so you can have rotation lock and mute toggle on it at the same time.

Nice touch apple.

addictzz

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
Got my iPad Air 2 at my local KRCS today. Nice easy walk in and grab which given Meadowhall told me 'later this week' was a nice surprise.

Anyway more to the point, I was pleasantly surprised to see that control centre has an extra toggle so you can have rotation lock and mute toggle on it at the same time.

Nice touch apple.

Are you saying we can lock rotation & mute using volume button at the same time?

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
If you mute in the control center, when you un-mute does your volume go back to the previously set level?

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
If you mute in the control center, when you un-mute does your volume go back to the previously set level?

Yes. If you mute by holding down the volume down button, it sets the volume to zero. You need to manually raise it back where you want. If you use the mute toggle in control centre, the volume position doesn't change, just that all sounds are muted until you toggle it off again and the last volume position is restored.

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
Yes. If you mute by holding down the volume down button, it sets the volume to zero. You need to manually raise it back where you want. If you use the mute toggle in control centre, the volume position doesn't change, just that all sounds are muted until you toggle it off again and the last volume position is restored.

Awesome. This is what I was hoping for.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I hardly use the switch on my old iPad, but I'm still glad to hear that it has both toggles in Control Center. Thanks for posting!

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
I use the switch as a rotation lock on my Air, and I use it reasonably frequently. I would miss having it, but it wouldn't be a huge loss.

Of course, the Air 2 isn't enough of an upgrade over the Air for me to upgrade, either. Maybe the Air 3 or 4. (I upgraded to the Air from an original iPad.)

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I use the switch as a rotation lock on my Air, and I use it reasonably frequently. I would miss having it, but it wouldn't be a huge loss.

Of course, the Air 2 isn't enough of an upgrade over the Air for me to upgrade, either. Maybe the Air 3 or 4. (I upgraded to the Air from an original iPad.)

Is it that difficult to swipe up for control center and use the toggle?

MacintoshDan

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2013
The only time I ever used the switch on my iPad 2 or iPad Air was when I was bored, so I can't say that I will really miss it.

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
I use my iPad exclusively in landscape so I alwasy used mine as a rotation lock. Personally I'm glad to see the physical button gone. It sticks out and if I hold my iPad with the home button on the left it hurst my hand.

giggles

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
The mute switch both on iphones and ipads is also a VISUAL confirmation that the device is in mute mode. At a glance, without turning on the screen. Hence the red dot.

There's no software way to have that back.

sportsfrk214

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2007
Here's what it looks like for those interested

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 138

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA

Nice touch apple.

Wow, Apple is amazing.

/sarcasm

I've had that on my jailbroken iPad for 2 years I think.

ipadlvr

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2014
Is it that difficult to swipe up for control center and use the toggle?

No. People get used to something and they hate change. Maybe Apple will get rid of it completely on all their devices. No other phone has that.

People will complain and eventually they'll get used to it.

That switch can malfunction and start turning the vibrate on and off without you touching it. Its really annoying. Less buttons less things go bad.

Get rid of the home button too. Put a sensor on the back for fingerprints. The apple logo can red your fingerprint.

Andydigital

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2013
Setting the switch to rotation lock mode doesn't seem necessary anymore as the rotation sensing is a lot better with the iPad Air 2, it doesn't seem to rotate unintentionally when I'm lay in bed with the iPad above me when typing, it certainly did when I had my iPad 3.

addictzz

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
Setting the switch to rotation lock mode doesn't seem necessary anymore as the rotation sensing is a lot better with the iPad Air 2, it doesn't seem to rotate unintentionally when I'm lay in bed with the iPad above me when typing, it certainly did when I had my iPad 3.

If this is true, then the missing mute switch can be forgiven a bit.

But still, I use iPad in portrait mode a lot of times. Almost 90% of the time. and I hate to see the screen rotates when I am lying on my side holding my iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.