Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i-aamir

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
UK - London
Just thought I'd make a quick post on my new Air 2 that was delivered yesterday. Found a few issues and wanted to find out if others were experiencing the same things :

1. The left hand side of the screen particularly on the keyboard has a warmer yellowish tone.

2. On black backgrounds especially in the dark there is small amount of light bleed round the edges.

3. Generally the tone of the screen is not as bright and crisp as the iPhone 6/6 plus

4. The Wifi disconnected a few times whilst in Safari.

5. In Safari some times screen became unresponsive not letting me select a search result in Google.

6. When the volume is more than half you can feel the vibration from the speakers ( I suspect this is due to the thin body)

I've attached a few images.

Do you think I should get a new replacement?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_0347.JPG
    IMG_0347.JPG
    449.9 KB · Views: 429
  • IMG_0348.JPG
    IMG_0348.JPG
    461.1 KB · Views: 369
  • IMG_0351.JPG
    IMG_0351.JPG
    465.8 KB · Views: 465
Last edited:

AliMacs

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2014
From your own list sounds like you should return it. I have no issues nor would I care to find some on purpose. Good luck!

i-aamir

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
UK - London
From your own list sounds like you should return it. I have no issues nor would I care to find some on purpose. Good luck!

Thanks. I really don't want to find any issues but picked them up whilst using it in the first 30 minutes. Maybe a replacement is in order but it would be good to know if others have any similar issues.

Last edited:

mattoligy

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2010
Cloud 9
Wow, that screen bleed is really bad!

Also, I think people that treat customers with defective products like they're a nuisance are truly selfish! The fact is, Apples quality control is abysmal and many customers end up with problems, usually with the screen! And to be belittled by Apple staff is bad enough but when the Apple fanboys start doing it as well it's a sad day! Just because you have a good unit and or your standards are lower, doesn't give you the right to treat others badly! Just saying...

i-aamir

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
UK - London

Also, I think people that treat customers with defective products like they're a nuisance are truly selfish! The fact is, Apples quality control is abysmal and many customers end up with problems, usually with the screen! And to be belittled by Apple staff is bad enough but when the Apple fanboys start doing it as well it's a sad day! Just because you have a good unit and or your standards are lower, doesn't give you the right to treat others badly! Just saying...

Thanks for understanding. When you spend so much money you want a product that is right! Looks like I may need a replacement after all :(

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011

Also, I think people that treat customers with defective products like they're a nuisance are truly selfish!
Ditto it always seems to be in the first couple of quick replies....getting very predictable.

Can't see much from the 1st two photos (ie maybe doesn't reproduce well in a photo?). However, the light bleed looks really bad. I bought the Retina Mini last year. The light bleed on it looked similar to yours. I returned it and the next one was perfect.

mattoligy

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2010
Cloud 9
Thanks for understanding. When you spend so much money you want a product that is right! Looks like I may need a replacement after all :(

That's ok I know what it's like! I've had like five in a row bad eggs before and the Apple Store staff have a tendency to treat customers in this position as though they're the problem! Sure they exchange it but they also say things like "We sell millions of iPads and we never get any back with this issue" and or "this is not an issue it's normal" all while patronising you! This in my opinion takes away from an otherwise good customer experience! Just a shame so many Apple products have problems... And even more of a shame Apple staff never admit it!

Vandam500

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
I see per your signature that you also have WiFi issues on your 6+. You have some pretty bad luck it seems :rolleyes:

threelions

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2013
Just thought I'd make a quick post on my new Air 2 that was delivered yesterday. Found a few issues and wanted to find out if others were experiencing the same things :

1. The left hand side of the screen particularly on the keyboard has a warmer yellowish tone.

2. On black backgrounds especially in the dark there is small amount of light bleed round the edges.

3. Generally the tone of the screen is not as bright and crisp as the iPhone 6/6 plus

2. The Wifi disconnected a few times whilst in Safari.

3. In Safari some times screen became unresponsive not letting me select a search result in Google.

4. When the volume is more than half you can feel the vibration from the speakers ( I suspect this is due to the thin body)

Thanks in advance!

1,2 & 4 are all issues due to the thinness on the Air's they were issues on the first Air and are a side effect of being so obsessed with thinness. The new tech they have been using to allow the thinner Ipads just isn't good enough and results in poor back lighting hence the yellow on the left & light bleed. I went through 5 Air's before giving up last time shame to see they haven't sorted this issue for the Air 2.

The others may be IOS8 issues rather than hardware.

And yes those who will put you down simply for wanting a good working unit are sickening.

Now just wait for the

"It's glue that hasn't set yet!"

"Theres nothing wrong, you're imagining it!"

"Don't go looking for issues!" Oh thats already been posted lol

"Mines fine, so you're an idiot!"

ipadlvr

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2014

2. The Wifi disconnected a few times whilst in Safari.

3. In Safari some times screen became unresponsive not letting me select a search result in Google.

4. When the volume is more than half you can feel the vibration from the speakers ( I suspect this is due to the thin body)

Thanks in advance!

You have a defective iPad screen. Go to the store asap.

This is a normal light bleed here. You can see the right side a bit. This is more normal. Yours is almost white.

ESyFX4f.jpg

i-aamir

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
UK - London
Thanks for all the support guys. Appreciate you understanding my situation. Just spoke to the apple store online who were apologetic and are sending out brand new replacement next week. They said I am welcome to use this iPad until the new one arrives.

Also in regards to my iPhone 6+ Wifi issue - That is another big problem and is present on all my iOS 8 devices at home including the Air 2. All other devices including my MBR-R work perfect so its not my network setup. 5S used work perfect on IOS 7 to so its definitely down to software!

Hope everyone else's iPads are better than mine.

----------

How do you test this?

Put a plain black wallpaper on your iPad. Go to dark room with the lights off and crank up the brightness to 100%.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
1,2 & 4 are all issues due to the thinness on the Air's they were issues on the first Air and are a side effect of being so obsessed with thinness. The new tech they have been using to allow the thinner Ipads just isn't good enough and results in poor back lighting hence the yellow on the left & light bleed. I went through 5 Air's before giving up last time shame to see they haven't sorted this issue for the Air 2.

The others may be IOS8 issues rather than hardware.

And yes those who will put you down simply for wanting a good working unit are sickening.

Now just wait for the

"It's glue that hasn't set yet!"

"Theres nothing wrong, you're imagining it!"

"Don't go looking for issues!" Oh thats already been posted lol

"Mines fine, so you're an idiot!"

To be fair, now they laminate the display it could be glue. It was a valid reason on iPhone as the screen has been laminated for ages. It was never a valid reason on ipad before the Air 2

OP, try leaving it on overnight on full brightness on a pure white screen, wrapped in a towel to keep it warm. May be worth a shot.

magicMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2010
UK
To the OP, it looks like your have an isolated manufacturing fault here and I don't think apple would have any issues replacing the device for you :)

WinterWolf90

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2014
Here is mine flat on the floor while taking a picture with iPhone 5s

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    928.5 KB · Views: 246

threelions

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2013
To be fair, now they laminate the display it could be glue. It was a valid reason on iPhone as the screen has been laminated for ages. It was never a valid reason on ipad before the Air 2

OP, try leaving it on overnight on full brightness on a pure white screen, wrapped in a towel to keep it warm. May be worth a shot.

While it's possible it's unlikely, especially when the yellow is in the exact same place as the original Air issue.

I would also advise against the whole full brightness towel wrap thing it can cause damage to the Ipad and shorten Battery life. I get why people recommend it but the downside is a broken Ipad that you may not be able to get replaced due to misuse.

i-aamir

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
UK - London
Here is mine flat on the floor while taking a picture with iPhone 5s

Are the whites on your screen generally ok and is there any yellow banding on the left hand side?

It seems like you have a little bit of bleed but if you don't notice it probably worth keeping if your happy?

WinterWolf90

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2014
Are the whites on your screen generally ok and is there any yellow banding on the left hand side?

It seems like you have a little bit of bleed but if you don't notice it probably worth keeping if your happy?

During actual usage I don't notice anything. And the whites are fine, no yellow tint.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010

And he calls that minor lol. I have some but no where close as that and barely can see it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.