Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Liam555

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2014
I always use it. Much quicker than going into the applications folder. However, I probably wouldn't miss it if they were to take it off. (Much like the widgets)

emagsamurai

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2014
I use it regularly. On my machine I can open Launchpad with a gesture and navigate to a particular app quicker than I can open the applications folder and do the same. That's just me, though :)

leventozler

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2009
I use it regularly. On my machine I can open Launchpad with a gesture and navigate to a particular app quicker than I can open the applications folder and do the same. That's just me, though :)

Same here, gesture > click on macbook, spotlight > enter on iMac

dmj102

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2013
Canada
I use five finger "pinch in".

Edit: Also use a hot corner. It's quite quick. No need for Launchpad to take up space on the dock.

Last edited:

=E=

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2013
.se
All the time with gesture with my trackpad on both iMac and cMBP.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I don’t like it. It’s yet another layer of apps that you have keep organised in order to use it effectively. But it’s just as limited and clunky as the iOS home screen. I tried to arrange everything across several pages and it took me far too long, because you can only drag one app at a time and I often created folders by mistake. At some point my Launchpad reset itself and I couldn’t be bothered with it anymore. Sometimes it also adds applications to it that don’t need to be launched, like uninstallers, with no way of hiding them.

There were some attempts by third-party developers to bring some organisational tools, but last I’ve heard, Apple made it increasingly difficult for them to do so. That was enough for me.

PhiLLoW

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2014
I use it on a daily basis.

Sometimes I launch programs with Spotlight - but most of the time I use Launchpad.

I'm also not a fan of massive amounts of apps in the dock so Launchpad is the perfect solution for me.

Sangoma

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2012
Never use it. Most often I launch programs using Spotlight, otherwise using Applications.

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
I like the little sparkly things around App icons while they're being updated.
But I use a Script Menu to Access most of the Apps I ever use.

petsk

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
No, never used it.

Viewing/searching stuff in Icons view is very inefficient compared to doing the same in List view.

I've never ever understood people who browse files in Finder in Icons view either. Are they mad or have they not yet learned the Alphabet?

I dislike the home screen in iOS as well. Page after page with clunky icons is so stupid. You end up using spotlight just to find what you are looking for. If you have a A-Z list you would no exactly where to find what, as long as you know the Alphabet ;)

On OS X I always drag the Applications folder to my Dock and voilà, all applications are in list view A-Z.

gamesetmatch

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
Palm Springs, CA, USA
I've never used Launchpad.

My only experience with this application was to instantly remove it from my Dock, after reading on some websites about its features.

To me, it is much faster to hit command-space and bring Spotlight up.

Cheers,

Mark.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
It should be taken out back behind the barn (or the Spaceship) and shot.

For accessing apps, hitting Command-Space and typing the beginning of your app name, the pressing the Return key to launch it, is far faster than any GUI can provide.

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
I run it, every time accidentally press F4. Haven't found a way to disable the key either.

App Store: snap. Assign cntl+x where x equals first letters of your favorite software. Launched or not it will be ready to go in an instant.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
I run it, every time accidentally press F4. Haven't found a way to disable the key either.

System Prefs -> Keyboard -> Shortcuts -> Launchpad & Dock -> Show Launchpad. I have mine turned off, but I believe by default this is the F4 shortcut you speak of?

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
System Prefs -> Keyboard -> Shortcuts -> Launchpad & Dock -> Show Launchpad. I have mine turned off, but I believe by default this is the F4 shortcut you speak of?

Nope, the F4 key on newer macs has the launchpad symbol on it and everything. The only way to disable it would also disable volume, media, brightness, and keyboard backlight shortcuts too.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I use five finger "pinch in".

I just tried that for the first time and ended up with a very transparent set of icons. Is it supposed to do that?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-24 at 3.58.20 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-24 at 3.58.20 pm.png
    3 MB · Views: 122
Last edited:

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
I think I may have used Launchpad once or twice since it came out a couple years ago. Does anyone actually use it?

Working in a school, I keep it in the dock for the students. It's easier for them to find Applications using Launchpad.

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA

Nope, the F4 key on newer macs has the launchpad symbol on it and everything. The only way to disable it would also disable volume, media, brightness, and keyboard backlight shortcuts too.

Thanks. Yeah, mine is off too but still works. Seems to need a hardcore key remap software.

dba415

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
I use it to open apps that I don't have on the dock. It's faster to pinch in to launchpad, especially if I'm only having one hand on the computer.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007

Weird. Mine has that F4 key also, but it only launches Launchpad with fn-F4, not just F4 by itself. I think all the fn modifiers are locked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.