Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

juanm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
I like the concept of having everything "media" in one place, movies, music, and such. However, it's poorly implemented, and very confusing, about past purchases, that want to download. I don't want them to be readily available and ready to download as soon as I forget to configure some device to NOT download automatically! I bought them once, I don't want them anymore, PERIOD!!

Everything I've ripped and imported, or bought years ago is ok, now I have a two-gig movie that obstinately wants to find its way on my computer, and I cannot delete it now until I finish downloading it. And for some reason, as soon as I'll have deleted it, iTunes Store will decide my hard drive is the right place for the movie to be.

Also, they keep changing the interface for no reason! It's like they try all the possible ways.

Sorry about the rant, it's over, now.

oneshotpro

Suspended
Aug 13, 2014
turn off automatic downloads. delete files to hide items in the cloud and they won't show up again.

i never have any problems with iTunes. Not sure what people would prefer to use? windows media player?

TOMIMOT

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2011
Canada
I like the concept of having everything "media" in one place, movies, music, and such. However, it's poorly implemented, and very confusing, about past purchases, that want to download. I don't want them to be readily available and ready to download as soon as I forget to configure some device to NOT download automatically! I bought them once, I don't want them anymore, PERIOD!!

Everything I've ripped and imported, or bought years ago is ok, now I have a two-gig movie that obstinately wants to find its way on my computer, and I cannot delete it now until I finish downloading it. And for some reason, as soon as I'll have deleted it, iTunes Store will decide my hard drive is the right place for the movie to be.

Also, they keep changing the interface for no reason! It's like they try all the possible ways.

Sorry about the rant, it's over, now.

what do you use aside from iTunes?

juanm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
I only use iTunes. Unfortunately, I have to. But iCloud is a mess (although I reckon this last Yosemite update has made everything better, including iTunes and iCloud)

grubworth

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2008
I understand what you are saying, I feel the redesign before 12 was pointless, and now 12 redesign is too soon. just keep it the same now on. dont take away anymore features or add more pointless ones.

I cannot add a playlist from itunes ti my iphone now. the interface for devices is not consistent and different with each one. i wish there was close alternatives for managing media on osx.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I won't be using iTunes 12. The design is a mess which is a shame since 11 was a step in the right direction for the first time since version 4.

I don't have high hopes for iTunes' future.

sadfrog

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2014
yea the way purchases are auto downloaded to everything by default is really annoying. Let me decide when to download those damn purchases, maybe i need to configure iTunes to point at a different nas or something. I don't want to have to rush to cancel all those download each time i get a new device!!!! just hide by default forgod sakes

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I understand what you are saying, I feel the redesign before 12 was pointless, and now 12 redesign is too soon. just keep it the same now on. dont take away anymore features or add more pointless ones.

I cannot add a playlist from itunes ti my iphone now. the interface for devices is not consistent and different with each one. i wish there was close alternatives for managing media on osx.

I use iTunes match for my iPhone, playlists anywhere.

But my old clip on iPod nano, playlists are atill drag and drop onto the device... Dont understand what is hard?

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
I am agree with you.
I would in video post production and iTunes has become so inefficient that I rather preview everything from their original folders, is more strait forward.

Apple has been doing clumsy stuff with OSX for a while, they change things because "they have to" but with no actual direction. Is like they need to do upgrades to their software juts because with no reason.

I still using Quicktime 7 and avoid Quicktime X, just placing the transport controls on top of the videos is so idiotic. But yes, iTunes is a mess, no intuitive.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
I have to agree.

I hate iOS's look now and this completes Apple's post Steve Job's transition, along with Yosemite. Ugh.

The real question is, what can we use that's better out there? Anyone know?

I had to reinstall an older version of iTunes on my computer, as I updated iTunes blindly on accident, much to my dismay. I can't remember which version I reinstalled (11 maybe?), but I already like it better than the current or even previous version.

RobbyIdol

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2012
I actually like iTunes 12 better than 11. For me, version 11 was (and still is) an unintuitive mess. 12 is a step in the right direction, though still not as good as iTunes 10.

Apple post-Steve Jobs is starting to lose me. But the desire to stay as far away from Android/Windows keeps me within the ever changing Apple eco-system, for better or worse.

----------

I had to reinstall an older version of iTunes on my computer, as I updated iTunes blindly on accident, much to my dismay. I can't remember which version I reinstalled (11 maybe?), but I already like it better than the current or even previous version.

I would do this, if I didn't have my eye on a new Macbook Air and iPhone 6 (both will inevitably require iTunes 12). :(

grubworth

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2008
I use iTunes match for my iPhone, playlists anywhere.

But my old clip on iPod nano, playlists are atill drag and drop onto the device... Dont understand what is hard?

My manually add music was not working, it is now though, no idea what sorted or changed. I am currently happy with itunes now, my grief is towards them sticking to a interface. hopefully this is it for a while. Would love to keep my itunes match subscription it worked great but I've surpassed the 25000 song limit, I really wish they would increase it.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
For around 6 months my iPod Nano was orphaned..basically because I decided never to use a Windows or Mac computer again, got a Chromebook instead.

My iPhone has never been plugged into a computer. I use Google Play Music All Access to stream and download tunes; it's a lot less hassle than ever having to deal with iTunes.

HereBeMonsters

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2012
Fareham, UK
I honestly do not understand the hate for iTunes. It seems very fashionable to say you hate it and whatever, but no-one ever comes up with anything that's actually better.
Do you remember what we used to use before iTunes came out? With my first iPod, I had to use Musicmatch Jukebox!

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I honestly do not understand the hate for iTunes. It seems very fashionable to say you hate it and whatever, but no-one ever comes up with anything that's actually better.
Do you remember what we used to use before iTunes came out? With my first iPod, I had to use Musicmatch Jukebox!

Just because there may not be a better alternative doesn't mean that people shouldn't have valid concerns. With that attitude, computing/software wouldn't have made any real leaps. Apple have historically made technology work in a way that people think "why didn't it always work like this?"

One of the exceptions to this rule is iTunes. It's bloated. It's slow. Its UI seems completely backwards and not particularly user-friendly. Plus it's appalling on Windows. Do I use anything different? No, because I have iOS devices and use OS X. Would I like to see them make improvements to its speed and other elements? Definitely.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
My gripe with iTunes is that it is so bloated with patches and adding features over the years. Just blow it up and start over. Keep the design, I don't really care. Just work right. Constant syncing errors, slow interface, Genius never really works. Tons of other music programs automatically pull the album & movie covers down but iTunes requires manual addition of this stuff because the software can not read titles or metadata properly.

There isn't a better program out there to manage your media on an iPhone because I don't think Apple would allow such a thing.

Last edited:

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK

Yeah. And now a decade on, iTunes is the equivalent of Musicmatch Jukebox. Slow, bloated, ugly and just plain horrible to use. If only my iPod worked with iTunes 4, I'd be a very happy person.

fuchsdh

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2014
Just because there may not be a better alternative doesn't mean that people shouldn't have valid concerns. With that attitude, computing/software wouldn't have made any real leaps. Apple have historically made technology work in a way that people think "why didn't it always work like this?"

One of the exceptions to this rule is iTunes. It's bloated. It's slow. Its UI seems completely backwards and not particularly user-friendly. Plus it's appalling on Windows. Do I use anything different? No, because I have iOS devices and use OS X. Would I like to see them make improvements to its speed and other elements? Definitely.

True, but that's partially the reason iTunes is where it is; no one else has bothered to make something as good. I've looked around; I'd be happy to forget about syncing my podcasts and such to my iPhone and just find a good OS X music management application, but there are few real alternatives and most have crippling issues where I'll take iTunes "it might be X, Y, Z, but it at least works."

(As for my favorite version, it was probably 5. Cleaned up the UI, and added smart shuffle. I'm still amazed it lasted all of what, two months?)

borderbob

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2008
Where to begin....

iTunes, desktop and/or IOS, have been broken since IOS7 at least. Whether it is the "waiting for items to copy" bug which seems to have no one work around but is linked to either iTunes Match or the number of songs in your library (or the number of duplicates). Playlists that don't update or in IOS8 at least, contain songs which don't appear on the desktop version. The latest bug, annoying as anything, is the process which causes it to jump out of the shuffle mode to the repeat playlist mode, on its own, with no user input. I can usually tell when the same artist plays consecutively.

I cannot reliably use iTunes except on a 4G Touch running IOS6. I can put my whole library on, sync and listen with no issues.

and speaking of iTunes Match, don't DEFAULT to ON when I upgrade IOS versions. I don't use it, don't want streaming audio. It is certainly the one commonality to screwing up my device. I just want to buy my music from you and keep it on my devices.

b.b.

csjcsj

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2011
Sarasota FL
I'm glad someone else started this thread so I wouldn't have to. Somebody needs to rein-in Jon Ive. Aesthetically, I am a minimalist, but not at the cost of usability. I often wonder if the people designing the software ever use it?

iTunes 1 was a joy. It stayed a joy for many iterations, but I want to be able to go back to a flat alphabetical list without any artwork. The current interface may work for people with 5G of music, but with 60G it is impossible. In the mac version, I couldn't even find a way to see what was currently playing!

Just needed to vent.

juanm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
Wow, I just created the thread to vent, and I thought I'd get attacked from all sides by iTunes fanboys. Nice to feel I'm not alone, guys.

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
I recently purchased an iBook G4 on eBay for the fun of it, and my goodness it is a breath of fresh air! Put a clean install of OS X Tiger on it and made sure to keep iTunes 6 on it. So clean, so simple, so fast! Sure, I only have a tiny subset of my music on it, but the interface is so refreshing. It manages music, and the whole app is about 39 MB! Compare that to iTunes 12, weighing in at 323 MB. A far cry from what it used to be.

Sure, it has to support iOS and more media than in 2005. But still. I'd rather have a few smaller utilities that do each task well than one huge bloated one that does them all poorly.

KyIimds.jpg

Taken on and posted straight from my iBook :)

Also
I'm glad someone else started this thread so I wouldn't have to. Somebody needs to rein-in Jon Ive. Aesthetically, I am a minimalist, but not at the cost of usability. I often wonder if the people designing the software ever use it?

iTunes 1 was a joy. It stayed a joy for many iterations, but I want to be able to go back to a flat alphabetical list without any artwork. The current interface may work for people with 5G of music, but with 60G it is impossible. In the mac version, I couldn't even find a way to see what was currently playing!

Just needed to vent.

You can still view it as a list and make it look similar to previous versions, it's just not as obvious as it should be.
h5d7t8G.png

Last edited:

MacCruiskeen

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
It does seem to me that iTunes has gotten more difficult to use over time. At work, we use ipads for testing our ebook files. In iTunes 10, loading the file was a simple drag-and-drop operation. Now, on Mavericks, you have to load the book into iBooks desktop first (and the Windows users have to put things into the library). I could also use iBooks Proofer, but that's not an option with Windows. Also, iTunes will still corrupt your local file by inserting a .plist file into it, but it's always done that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.