Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pavste

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2014
I'm looking for a desktop iOS-Dev machine to run Xcode (+ Simulator) and a VM (Windows) for next couple of years, i.e. it should be able to support next gens of Mac OS without slowdowns etc. So as many people here, I'm not quite sure which Mac Mini should I buy. My thoughts are on these two versions:

2012 2.3 i7 8GB SSD (could get it as new BTO directly from reseller)
2014 2.66 i5 8GB SSD Iris Graphics

Both are to be found for ~900 Euros.

tonyunreal

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2010
The following is just my subjective opinion, please take it with a grain of salt:

I see you are going for higher configurations on the Mac mini. In my opinion, unless you absolutely need the portability, an entry-level quad core iMac is better for the money, for about 400 euros more you get a gorgeous display and Apple's bluetooth keyboard and mouse (you probably need to buy them anyway), plus the specs is much better.

Also I didn't find SSD to benefit Xcode that much, sure it's a nice upgrade to have but I can certainly live without it, if I got the extra money I would spend it on RAM rather than SSD. On the other hand, Boot Camp Windows and Visual Studio is way faster on an SSD than on a laptop HDD, so if you're planning to do some programming under Windows, its definitely understandable to go for an SSD upgrade.

pavste

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2014
I already have a 24' display, also apple's bluetooth keyboard and mouse. What I'm looking for is really an office PC for our in-house app development (mainly iOS) that could last for next couple of years. VM is needed just for some internal SW that we are using here.

tonyunreal

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2010
I already have a 24' display, also apple's bluetooth keyboard and mouse. What I'm looking for is really an office PC for our in-house app development (mainly iOS) that could last for next couple of years. VM is needed just for some internal SW that we are using here.
Fair enough then. Personally I would go for quad core configurations for any development machine I use, and since you need to run VM on top of that, you could benefit more from more cores and RAM. I would definitely go for the 2012 quad core model, it got better CPU power, and the RAMs can be easily swapped.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.