Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crazypeter

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
UK
I met x online, gave her my mac email address and she sent me an email that appeared in my inbox as:-

x y z <xy@cheerful.com>

x, y and z being her names.

I have never heard of the @cheerful.com email address so googled it without much luck, except that it is an address used by "419 advance fee fraud" scammers. I also found this:-

http://www.loginto.org/cheerful.com-login

Additionally, when I look at the email "details", apart from the "Return-Path:" in the 1st line, her email address is not included, just mine. When I look at other emails that I have received from genuine people and firms, the "details" include:-

Original-Recipient: my email address
Received-Spf: text including senders email address

These lines are consecutive.

The email from xyz only includes:-

There were no visible links in the email.

Can anyone advise me on the validity of the @cheerful.com email address and if she is likely to be a scammer?

Edit:

Strangely, I have just received another email from her that went into my iCloud junk folder, that had just a link to her email address, the "details" of that email include:-

Received-Spf: text including her email address

Last edited:

joshlalonde

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2014
Canada
I met x online, gave her my mac email address and she sent me an email that appeared in my inbox as:-

x y z <xy@cheerful.com>

x, y and z being her names.

I have never heard of the @cheerful.com email address so googled it without much luck, except that it is an address used by "419 advance fee fraud" scammers. I also found this:-

http://www.loginto.org/cheerful.com-login

Additionally, when I look at the email "details", apart from the "Return-Path:" in the 1st line, her email address is not included, just mine. When I look at other emails that I have received from genuine people and firms, the "details" include:-

Received-Spf: text including senders email address

These lines are consecutive.

The email from xyz only includes:-

There were no visible links in the email.

Can anyone advise me on the validity of the @cheerful.com email address and if she is likely to be a scammer?

Edit:

Strangely, I have just received another email from her that went into my iCloud junk folder, that had just a link to her email address, the "details" of that email include:-

Received-Spf: text including her email address

Well, first of all.. If you have suspicions that someone isn't legit, never share personal details with them. Your bank or whatever would never ask for details over e-mail. So it's probably a scam.

This really doesn't make sense though. I have no clue what you're talking about..

Just block her and then contact whatever organization you're trying to cooperate with.

macenied

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2014
First, everyone can own an unregistered domain by registering it for apprx. 10$ / year. So nothing wrong with any domain name.

Second, if people have nothing to hide, why should they use domains like "cheerful" ? There are plenty of free alternatives around. Take care.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
You can pick @cheerful.com from http://www.mail.com among a bunch of different mail addresses. You can see the options if you go there and pick Email -> sign up. I think it would be hard to discern if someone is a scammer or not from the email address alone.

crazypeter

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
UK
Thanks guys.

Second, if people have nothing to hide, why should they use domains like "cheerful" ? There are plenty of free alternatives around. Take care.

Thanks, that is precisely what I thought, so I have not replied to her. I presumed that she probably had something underhand in mind because if she wanted to be be relatively anonymous she could use Yahoo etc.

You probably can't even tell if the email originated from someone with an @cheerful.com address...the sender address could be spoofed.

Interestingly, I received what I assume is a phishing email to another of my addresses that was from and to paydesk1 at outlook dot com, did not mention my email address and had no other information in the email "details"!!!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.