Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andy318

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
Just saw the iPad Air 2 at the Apple Store in downtown SF.

The floor model has 32GB memory. Apple would rather custom make floor models than use a 16GB one. :rolleyes:

andy318

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
Very sure! I double checked because i found it very surprising. Anyway, it had the TouchID button

cannono

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2014
Makes sense. The store signs next to each product are custom iPads.

Why produce hundreds with too much memory for stores?

andy318

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
I got a response from MacRumors about this. Others might find this info useful too -

The iPhone 6 is similar...they seem to actually be 64 GB models that have been partitioned somehow, perhaps to make it easier to restore them fresh each night.

richwoodrocket

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2014
Buffalo, NY
The devices in Apple stores are very special. I would love to know more about what behind the scenes things go on with these devices but there really aren't any sources.

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
The devices in Apple stores are very special. I would love to know more about what behind the scenes things go on with these devices but there really aren't any sources.

I've read that, at least in the past, all the computers would be wiped and overwritten with new demo image every night. Eliminates any trace of the stuff that people do the computers.

Don't know if they still do that.

They are indeed 32GB models, with a little over 20GB free. I didn't think anything of it when I was playing with them in the store.

Millionaire2K

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2011
I've read that, at least in the past, all the computers would be wiped and overwritten with new demo image every night. Eliminates any trace of the stuff that people do the computers.

They are indeed 32GB models, with a little over 20GB free. I didn't think anything of it when I was playing with them in the store.

ok

Last edited:

cannono

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2014

Yep, they still wipe them nightly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.