Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwlbel

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
I am trading someone off of craigslist, my space gray for his gold iPhone 6 plus. They are exactly the same specs only difference is the color.

Here are my questions...

Do I need to call AT&T and have the serial numbers or IMEI transferred? I don't want the person that I am trading with to be able to report it lost or stolen and be stuck with a useless phone. I know to back up my phone and wipe it clean and take the SIM card.

Since my phone has applecare added and the one I am trading for doesn't. Since the phone is under 60 days, I was just going to have Applecare added to it and have Apple refund the unused portion of my current phone. A regular employee can do that, correct? I don't need to make an appointment, do I?

sillywabbit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
Read the last sentence, not saying it will happen to you, but...

1771427a25567c38cfac0e22ac8773d4.jpg

jwlbel

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
I actually saw this posted here before. This is EXACTLY why I am asking if I can call AT&T and have them transfer the info so that this can't happen to me. I pretty much don't trust most people and know I have to protect myself.

Read the last sentence, not saying it will happen to you, but...

Cergman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2013
my tesla
Just be sure to note down your serial/imei number before the trade. if he reports his as lost, you can do the same.

jwlbel

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
I called AT&T and they said they can transfer all the info of the IMEI #'s and serial numbers if we are both there with the phones and that way neither of us can report the phones lost or stolen. I figure if the person that I am trading with is okay with that chances are it is legit and if they refuse, there is a reason and don't go through with the trade.

jvette

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2007
have him meet you in the AT&T store to do the trade and have them transfer everything for you at the time of the switch.

dennisjr631

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2009
I have a silver 6 plus that I want to trade for a gold one. But this is what worries me. There are too many horror stories. I'm just gonna keep my phone that I bought brand new. I know where it has been and I don't have to worry about the guy I traded with calling in an insurance claim 2 months down the road. You can't trust anyone. It's totally not worth the risk.

didiee

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2007
Neighborhood
I have a silver 6 plus that I want to trade for a gold one. But this is what worries me. There are too many horror stories. I'm just gonna keep my phone that I bought brand new. I know where it has been and I don't have to worry about the guy I traded with calling in an insurance claim 2 months down the road. You can't trust anyone. It's totally not worth the risk.

i think if something you really want, just be careful. you can always screw him over too.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.