Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Risco

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
I bought an iPad 2 Air Wifi 64gb, as I can tether to my phone. Just wondering if the 4G version is worth the extra ££'s? Money is not the issue, however I don't want to waste money either!

Thoughts? In the UK here.

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
It all depends on how much you think you'll ever need the cell option. If it's only a couple of times a year or only a bit here and there it might not be worth it.

But if you travel much, need good GPS, or plan to take your iPad out and about a lot, then yes, it's well worth the investment. Even if you have free wifi everywhere you need to remember that those connections are never secure and usually really slow.

Personally I will never buy a tablet with wifi only because I find I do take my iPad on a lot of trips and even find it nice to use while waiting for my grandson while he's at his OT sessions.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Money is always an issue or it wouldn't be "scarce." As you note, you don't want to waste it.

So it comes down to need. Do you need cellular or GPS? Think about if it would come in handy in your current routines -- daily, weekly, monthly, whenever. Then you can figure out if its worth the extra $.

If you can tether and have an iPhone then I'm not sure I see the value of the upgrade. I have cellular model myself but I can't tether b/c I have a grandfathered data plan which doesn't allow tethering.

The only caveat I can see is if you travel between London and the US. Then, with the new Apple SIM it might be useful because you can switch carriers depending on where you are w/ local data rates, not "rape me" international roaming ones. (EE and TMob).

kupkakez

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
I always try to go with the LTE version. The couple of times I have "needed" it it's been nice to have, especially while traveling and I don't want to use the hotspot on my phone and drain my phone battery.

Risco

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
Thanks peeps, they did not have any in stock at my local store which is why I picked up the wifi at the time. They said I had 14 days, so gonna try for a week or so and then I most likely will upgrade.

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
I also always try to go with the Cellular option.
But with ios8's instant hotspot, it is making my decision tougher.

Plus, the fact that they still insist on the ridiculous upcharge of $130 baffles me.

They can charge $100 less for ram (32<->64) but they can't make LTE a $30 - $50 option instead. It is something that probably costs them $10 more if that.

iMrNiceGuy0023

macrumors 68000
Jun 5, 2009
I'm in the same dilemma. I have a mini retina wifi 32GB. I'm with ATT so it'll only be $10 month to share my 20 gigs.

ATT is offering $200 off any iPad with the purchase of an iPhone.

I haven't tried the instant hotspot feature on ios 8. How is the battery with that feature enabled?

kandavu

macrumors member
May 10, 2012
The two iPads I have (an iPad 3 & a mini retina) are both wifi. I tether them to my android no contract phone when I'm out and about. If you already have a cell with tethering capacity.....forgo the LTE for wifi.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.