Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cozysexycooll

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2014
I Just Wondering...Why Wineskin and Crossover Can't Install All the Game, Like we install in windows... Because for me its too lazy, change from OS X back to Windows just for play the game (Either bootcamp or virtual)...

a Lot of High End Game Can install... and in the same way... a lot of High End game too, Can't install through wineskin or Crossover...
I'm successfully install PES 2014 with last update september 2014...Successfully to Install warcraft 3, even I can play it on line....

But, when I try to Install like watch dogs or Assassin's Creed IV...which is required the same program like, Net Framework 4.0, Direct X11 or DirectX 9, Visual Basic or C++, it won't work...Those program was provided on wineskin or crossover...so why it can't work..??

Either wineskin or crossover have option to build wrapper being windows 7 or windows 8 and Many more....
So...How could be it won't work for all windows program...??I just wondering why, haha...

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Wineskin and Crossover do not have 100% compatibility with Windows programs, especially the larger more complex ones such as games.

I cannot recommend gaming using a compatibility layer, it is often more trouble than it is worth and produces a lackluster experience. That said, the WineHQ AppDB may help you troubleshoot issues if you are compelled to continue using them.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
roadbloc has answered your question, but here goes anyway.

If a game is not Mac native and the game will not run under a Wrapper or under Parallels then I have no time for the game, Bootcamp, I really do not like Bootcamp.

I have only ever managed to get one game to run under CrossOver, and then they updated to V14 and now that no longer works.

Try PlayOnMac http://www.playonmac.com/en/ think it is better than Crossover and FREE, it has a bigger list of working games etc than Crossover.

Newer games are going to give you problems under Wine wrappers.

The Porting Team site http://portingteam.com/index.php?app=forums and good working game Wrappers.

Last resort I use for ready made wrappers is http://paulthetall.com/

Also you can try Winebottler http://winebottler.kronenberg.org/

Your first choice for the more modern PC games would be Bootcamp though, if you go down the Bootcamp route goodluck, it drove me crazy.

By way of and end piece on this, lots of Wine wrappers for the bigger games need loads of behind the scenes tweaking and tricks as they are known which goes over my head when I have read about it, they talk about writing scripts and all sorts. When us laymen try to put games into these wrappers they just do not run or even install into the wrapper in many instances.

I spent the best part of the other week trying to get the GoG version of Legend of Grimrock 2 into a Wine wrapper without any success might add, it runs absolutely fine under Parallels so that no great problem.

Last edited:

cozysexycooll

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2014
roadbloc has answered your question, but here goes anyway.

If a game is not Mac native and the game will not run under a Wrapper or under Parallels then I have no time for the game, Bootcamp, I really do not like Bootcamp.

I have only ever managed to get one game to run under CrossOver, and then they updated to V14 and now that no longer works.

Try PlayOnMac http://www.playonmac.com/en/ think it is better than Crossover and FREE, it has a bigger list of working games etc than Crossover.

Newer games are going to give you problems under Wine wrappers.

The Porting Team site http://portingteam.com/index.php?app=forums and good working game Wrappers.

Last resort I use for ready made wrappers is http://paulthetall.com/

Also you can try Winebottler http://winebottler.kronenberg.org/

Your first choice for the more modern PC games would be Bootcamp though, if you go down the Bootcamp route goodluck, it drove me crazy.

By way of and end piece on this, lots of Wine wrappers for the bigger games need loads of behind the scenes tweaking and tricks as they are known which goes over my head when I have read about it, they talk about writing scripts and all sorts. When us laymen try to put games into these wrappers they just do not run or even install into the wrapper in many instances.

I spent the best part of the other week trying to get the GoG version of Legend of Grimrock 2 into a Wine wrapper without any success might add, it runs absolutely fine under Parallels so that no great problem.

Wineskin and Crossover do not have 100% compatibility with Windows programs, especially the larger more complex ones such as games.

I cannot recommend gaming using a compatibility layer, it is often more trouble than it is worth and produces a lackluster experience. That said, the WineHQ AppDB may help you troubleshoot issues if you are compelled to continue using them.

Yeah i know wrapper still need big improvement to play smooth like in windows...but a lot of game still play very well under the wrap...

For list wrapper you guys recommended...which one who can create for Assassin's creed and watch dogs... :cool: :cool::cool:

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
Wine tries to implement Windows APIs ... this is not an easy task to do, so its always a work in progress. I doubt there will ever be a legal way of catching up to parity with Windows running Windows programs.

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
Honestly, Bootcamp really isn't that big of a deal.

thats subjective... Bootcamp itself is easy to use... its the having to run Windows and not OS X thats a major deal to many of us. If some program/game/whatever requires me to run Windows, then I just won't use the software.

cozysexycooll

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2014
thats subjective... Bootcamp itself is easy to use... its the having to run Windows and not OS X thats a major deal to many of us. If some program/game/whatever requires me to run Windows, then I just won't use the software.

Yeah I'm agree with you...Once you use mac, its so lazy go back to windows...its like, you already have automatic car then go back use manual car with traffic all way long.... :cool: :cool:

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
Just by way of an addition to my last post.

Avoid CrossOver, in all my time playing around with it I have only ever managed to get one game to run, and then they updated Crossover and it
worked no more.

They charge for it and updates unlike the others I listed.

That is why I did not list it.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Yeah I'm agree with you...Once you use mac, its so lazy go back to windows...its like, you already have automatic car then go back use manual car with traffic all way long.... :cool: :cool:

In that case, I hope you enjoy spending hours debugging software running within Wine/Crossover/whatever. Only to find you can never get it to run anywhere near as well as it does in Windows.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006

You got it it one, well except in the fact its easy to use, I recently re set it all up and just could not get windows to run correctly, it was so laggy, when I dragged a window across the screen it would leave trails behind it.

I tried and tried to cure it to no avail just thought **** it I really cannot be bothered it anymore, and when I used to run it OK windows gave me nothing but grief all the time.

Now if a game is not Mac Native or runs well under a wrapper or in Parallels then I just cross it from my list to play.

Last edited:

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
Just by way of an addition to my last post.

Avoid CrossOver, in all my time playing around with it I have only ever managed to get one game to run, and then they updated Crossover and it
worked no more.

They charge for it and updates unlike the others I listed.

That is why I did not list it.

I was a Crossover user... but I had many games broken in updates, and it drove me crazy. Its one of the many reasons that lead me to making Wineskin in the first place... a dedicated and unchanging engine per program.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
I was a Crossover user... but I had many games broken in updates, and it drove me crazy. Its one of the many reasons that lead me to making Wineskin in the first place... a dedicated and unchanging engine per program.

Wineskin is awesome. Thank you for all the work you've done on that, keeping it up to date and sharing your efforts. It's much appreciated by many, probably a lot of whom you never hear from. I just wanted to toss that in. I've set up a lot of games with it with great success.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.