Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aminadab

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2005
Portland, Oregon
I've searched and read all the relevant threads -- at least I think I have.

Assuming Apple makes a standalone monitor with the 5k panels they're putting in the iMacs, what might be some of my options to run it with my 3.33 6-core?

Am I totally out of luck? Do we lack enough information now to even make an informed guess?

The 6 core gives me plenty of power for what I do with it, and it has been the most stable computer I've ever owned. But given that I do a lot of reading on my monitor, retina is really important to me. I'm wondering if I should sell the MP and get a new iMac.

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX
Not enough bandwidth to do it with a single port on your Mac Pro, and it's unlikely Apple is going to build a display only for the Mac Pro since it's the only Mac with more than a single Thunderbolt 2 controller.

As such, it's hard to say this but you're out of luck. If and when a 5K standalone Apple monitor is released, it will use Thunderbolt 3 because TB3 carries along with it the DP1.3 standard which has enough bandwidth to push 5K at 60Hz (heck, it goes up to 8K at 60Hz).

If you want 5K now, you're only option is to hope than the Dell 27" Ultrasharp 5K monitor works, but that's $2500 to drop. You can also go for 2 Dell 24" UP2414Q 4K monitors for your Mac Pro as well.

riggles

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2013
Seems like first would be a graphics card than supports DisplayPort 1.3, which is needed for 5K resolutions. Second would be OSX drivers that allow you to actually use it.

Tom-Create-Pro

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2014
UK
If 4K is an option, you should be good to go on your 5, 1 as long as you have a decent GPU, the monitors aren't too pricey these days.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Seems like first would be a graphics card than supports DisplayPort 1.3, which is needed for 5K resolutions. Second would be OSX drivers that allow you to actually use it.

No, you can do it with MST and DP 1.2, which is what Dell is doing.

No one knows if Apple will do an Apple branded display like that. But you have third party options.

BurgDog

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2012
Or tolerate a lower refresh rate? Might be tolerable if working on mostly static images.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.