Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JuliusCaesar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2014
Hey guys, in case any one wonder, the new iPad Air 2 can be activated with T-Mobile 200MB right out of the box. I went to a T-Mobile store yesterday to ask some questions about it, and let me say that they are clueless about what their own company is doing. A customer representative told me that to get the 200MB first you need to pay for some of the data plans that they offer. Completely wrong, with the new Apple SIM card included you don't even have to pay T-Mobile the 10 dollars for a SIM card. Really easy to do. Hope this helps.
:apple:

JuliusCaesar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2014
That was actually the main reason why I got a cellular iPad instead of the wifi. Props to T-Mobile for making it that easy, and giving something free.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Yup, the free T-Mobile 200MB plan made the cellular iPad all that much more of a value to me too.

And they definitely know what they're doing. After a few months, I ended up switching my iPhone to T-Mobile as well.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
Yup, the free T-Mobile 200MB plan made the cellular iPad all that much more of a value to me too.

And they definitely know what they're doing. After a few months, I ended up switching my iPhone to T-Mobile as well.

What do you mean free? There's no monthly charge at all?

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
What do you mean free? There's no monthly charge at all?

Yup, no monthly charge. No strings attached, no gimmicks. You shouldn't even have to set up a payment method.

The whole idea is, it's marketing for T-Mobile, in the hopes it'll convince people to get an on-demand data pack with them, or even move their phone service over if the iPad shows good coverage.

Details are here:

http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-9700

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
The 200mb is enough to get all your e-mail and iMessages when you are on the go. I bought a cellular iPad for when I travel but when I'm not travelling, I stick my trusty t-mobile sim card back in and I can still have connectivity on my iPad on those rare occasions when I take it out of the house. Mainly when I go to church since I use it as my bible.

JuliusCaesar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2014
The 200mb is enough to get all your e-mail and iMessages when you are on the go. I bought a cellular iPad for when I travel but when I'm not travelling, I stick my trusty t-mobile sim card back in and I can still have connectivity on my iPad on those rare occasions when I take it out of the house. Mainly when I go to church since I use it as my bible.

Yes, it is very convenient indeed. Those 200MB will serve me well just in those times when there is no wifi available.

MareLuce

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2010
That was actually the main reason why I got a cellular iPad instead of the wifi. Props to T-Mobile for making it that easy, and giving something free.
Most useful thread of the year for me.

Thank you Julius Caesar! :D

I did the setup completely from my iPad. The trick was being patient enough after I click on

Settings -- Cellular Data -- T-mobile logo

Some of the screens in the activation process took at least a minute to come up.

JuliusCaesar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2014
Most useful thread of the year for me.

Thank you Julius Caesar! :D

I did the setup completely from my iPad. The trick was being patient enough after I click on

Settings -- Cellular Data -- T-mobile logo

Some of the screens in the activation process took at least a minute to come up.

Oh Im glad I could help. Same here, everything done from the iPad, very straight forward. I was actually surprise how easy it was because I have not heard anything about the iPad Air 2 situation with the 200MB of data free.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Note that you can still take advantage of the 5GB/150-day limited time offer if you need more than the 200MB/month. Can be booked right on the iPad. Once the 5GB pass runs out, it will revert back to the 200MB free plan.

Does anybody know when the 5GB offer will end?

JuliusCaesar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2014
Note that you can still take advantage of the 5GB/150-day limited time offer if you need more than the 200MB/month. Can be booked right on the iPad. Once the 5GB pass runs out, it will revert back to the 200MB free plan.

Does anybody know when the 5GB offer will end?

Saw that one too. Pretty good deal, average 1GB a month for 2 dollars each month for 5 months, that's aggressive.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
Yup, no monthly charge. No strings attached, no gimmicks. You shouldn't even have to set up a payment method.

The whole idea is, it's marketing for T-Mobile, in the hopes it'll convince people to get an on-demand data pack with them, or even move their phone service over if the iPad shows good coverage.

Details are here:

http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-9700

Nope.
They dont even require a credit card on file.

Its pretty great for those rare moments without wifi.

I'll admit that I NEVER would have expected a large North American carrier to do something like this :D it's not a lot of data but I'm sure it'll lure people in

OlgaJ

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2009
Florida
I went for the $10 5 GB plan and received an email that I also have the free 200 MG for the life of this device.

JuliusCaesar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2014
I went for the $10 5 GB plan and received an email that I also have the free 200 MG for the life of this device.

Can I still do that even when I just activated the 200MB free with the set up of my iPad?

OlgaJ

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2009
Florida
Why not? You have nothing to lose. Go back in and see if you can choose the $10 plan for 5 GB good for 150 days. You have to give credit card info, of course.

Rayban

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2008
Does anyone know how the free music streaming works? Is it for all plans, monthly plans, or contract only plans? No clear cut info on the T-Mobile website.

OlgaJ

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2009
Florida
I read somewhere that the free music does not apply to the 200 MG free access. Not sure where I saw that.

JuliusCaesar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2014
Why not? You have nothing to lose. Go back in and see if you can choose the $10 plan for 5 GB good for 150 days. You have to give credit card info, of course.

You are right. I'll definitely try that.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I read somewhere that the free music does not apply to the 200 MG free access. Not sure where I saw that.

Free music is only simple choice plans, as is international data.

Not for refillable ipad MIM data.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Hey guys, in case any one wonder, the new iPad Air 2 can be activated with T-Mobile 200MB right out of the box. I went to a T-Mobile store yesterday to ask some questions about it, and let me say that they are clueless about what their own company is doing. A customer representative told me that to get the 200MB first you need to pay for some of the data plans that they offer. Completely wrong, with the new Apple SIM card included you don't even have to pay T-Mobile the 10 dollars for a SIM card. Really easy to do. Hope this helps.

:apple:

Yeah I am on t-mobile and hate their customer service. Reason why I left them back in 2010 and went with AT&T for an iPhone. With them again and isn't much better . I had to call 5 times for a signal booster and took a while to get a replacement Samsung note 4 since my screen wouldn't accept touch input at certain times. Also making me pay to return the old phone .... God if they didn't have good data speeds and unlimited data I would go back to AT&T

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.