Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RalphTomaccio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2014
Slatersville RI
I just set up a new user (1st time having done so) on my 2010 iMac running OS 10.9.5 with Safari 7.1. I imported bookmarks from a Windows XP version of Firefox into Safari and all seemed fine. The bookmarks worked every time without a problem. I then closed Safari and reopened it only to find all the imported bookmarks have disappeared. I tried reimporting three times and each time they disappeared after closing and re-opening Safari. I also installed the Add to Amazon Wish List extension and, that too, disappeared each time.

Also, it will not maintain a Homepage. That disappears as well.
User.jpg

Based on a few replies in another forum apparently there is no reason why the bookmarks should be disappearing, but they still are.

In an attempt to solve this problem, I just tried giving my wife's user account admin privileges, restarted the computer, opened Safari, imported the bookmarks, closed Safari, reopened Safari and, yet again, the bookmarks disappeared.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

User Preferences in my wife's account:
UserAdminAngela.jpg

Why is this happening and how do I correct the situation? Your help is most appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:

RalphTomaccio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2014
Slatersville RI
Good News and Bad News:

The bad news is that I still have not been able to find what was causing my issues with Safari and the disappearing Bookmarks.

The good news is that I tried setting up another user account and am NOT experiencing the issue at all. All seems to be working as it should!

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
I've had issues where multiple Apple devices used with the same Apple ID have to have the Bookmark syncing settings be the same.

So, say Safari in the Mac vs Safari on the iPad, where one drives the other.

I don't know which is which, though I know the Mac's Safari preferences are set within the browser, where in iOS they are set in System Preferences -> Safari.

Hope this helps your troubleshooting. :D

RalphTomaccio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2014
Slatersville RI
Good News and Bad News - Again:

The bad news is that the problem of disappearing bookmarks returned with the new user account.

The good news is that I bit the bullet and upgraded to Yosemite. When I opened Safari, I didn't even have to import the bookmarks, they simply showed up on their own AND they are not disappearing (yet).

Let's hope it remains that way!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.