Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ipod_classic_hand-250x281.jpg
During the Q&A portion of his interview at the WSJ.D conference tonight, Tim Cook was asked about the iPod classic, which was finally discontinued last month five years after its last update.

Cook said Apple primarily stopped making the device because it was no longer possible to source the necessary parts from anywhere in the world. Apple does not have plans to reintroduce the iPod classic due to a shrinking audience and the engineering costs that would be needed for a new version, but Cook pointed towards the iPod touch, which has almost the same amount of storage space, as a viable option.

Observers had speculated Apple was waiting for a 128 GB iPod touch before discontinuing the iPod classic, but while the iPhone and iPad have gained 128 GB options, the iPod touch has yet to do so. Still, with Apple unable to source parts for the iPod classic, the company was left with no choice but to end sales of the descendent of the original iPod.

The iPod classic's 1.8-inch hard drives were typically supplied by Toshiba, with the last generation using a 160 GB drive. Toshiba launched a 220 GB version in early 2011 that gave some hope the iPod classic might receive an update, but one never came to pass and Toshiba has long since discontinued its entire line of 1.8-inch hard drives.

Article Link: Tim Cook on iPod Classic: 'We Couldn't Get the Parts Anymore'

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
They have enough money to buy third world countries but can't pay someone to make some parts? BS.

sosull

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2014
Thirty years from now it might be easier to see one of these in a museum than being used in public.

vjl323

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2005
Western North Carolina
I guess I'm a rare breed, then, as I like the physical touch wheel for navigating songs/playlists. It's very useful in the car, and since I never know what type of music I may want to hear, it's nice to have my entire library with me. I do stream Spotify in the car, but that's simply because now I can use the buttons on my steering wheel to forward songs [but not playlists]. I actually like to drive when driving, and not have to fiddle with a touch device while the car is moving.

I may pick up a backup iPod, as they have served me well...I'm sure MacMall and the like still have some that they're anxious to unload!

mishaneah

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2009
If the volumes are high enough, a vendor would continue to make the components. Even if they are out of date. My guess is they haven't made them for years and were selling off existing stock until they ran out.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
They have enough money to buy third world countries but can't pay someone to make some parts? BS.

Sometimes I wonder if people are more concerned about commenting first than readying the article. It's a waste of money to develop an updated version with low sales.

Apple does not have plans to reintroduce the iPod classic due to a shrinking audience and the engineering costs that would be needed for a new version,

Last edited:

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003

Just because Apple could, theoretically, spend tens of millions -- or more -- to set up a factory to manufacture the iPod classic doesn't mean it wouldn't be a waste of money and resources.

Hardly anyone was buying the thing. That's the hard truth. If people were buying it, then they obviously would have invested the money and resources to keep manufacturing it. That's not to say it isn't sad to see it go. But it's simple economics. Apple is a business and there's no excuse for them to waste money just for the sake of nostalgia.

Heck, if you want to bring Steve into it, Steve was dead set against that sort of thing. Hence why we never saw a 25th Anniversary Mac or a 10th Anniversary iPod, and why there wasn't even a mention at all in 2006 about the 30th anniversary of Apple's founding.

I'm sure after the iPhone 6 demand has leveled off - probably sometime in February or March - they will quietly reconfigure the iPod touch storage options to 16, 64, and 128 GB in line with the phone and the iPad.

Last edited:

tentales

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2010
I may pick up a backup iPod, as they have served me well...I'm sure MacMall and the like still have some that they're anxious to unload!

Too late!
Retail has long sold out. You can find them new on ebay now for at least $100 more than MSRP.

timd.mackey

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2010
Bummer. Our iPod Classic just kicked it, and I was hoping to replace it with another. One of Apple's greatest products.

The hard drive on my iPod Classic had gone bad a long time ago, but I recently resurrected the iPod using a flash conversion kit from this website. Not only does it work again, but it's now silent (no more hard drive clicking), and navigation is blazingly fast!

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
Saddening, for sure, but at least there was a good reason to discontinue it.

Here's hoping for an updated touch soon with a 128 GB option!

josh995

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2012

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
How about ditching the old hard drive and use flash memory in there.

Because 128GB flash memory is quite appreciably more expensive than a 160GB hard drive. They might well wait until prices come down enough to make it reasonable for their profit margins again, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

iPod is dead, done, and over with. I'm shocked iPod classic lasted as long as it did. And the rest of the iPods are probably next.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.