Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TijmenDal

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2010
Hi,

I recently swapped the optical drive in my MBP (2012, 15") for an SSD. On my old HD there's a Windows partitition. I want to make a Bootcamp/Windows partition on my SSD, but since I don't have optical drive anymore, it's impossible to make the partition on my SSD. I've tried before to do it with a thumb-drive, but that doesn't work, because the OS for this Macbook is wired to do it with the help of an optical drive. Because the OS doesn't see the optical drive, it won't boot Windows.
I was wondering if there's a workaround by making a clone of the Bootcamp partition I have with CCC. I tried doing it and it gave me an error saying it won't be bootable for whatever reason.
Does anyone know how I can fix this? Or should I remove my HD, put the SD in its place, put my optical drive back and install Windows on my SSD, after which I undo all the steps? I've tried using an external optical drive, that doesn't work unfortunately.
All input is appreciated.

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.