Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
Do any of these retailers have restocking fees on opened iPads? Might pick up an Air 2 for my wife (these are all closer than the Apple store) but if it's defective I'd rather just return it and buy another one outright and say I don't want it rather than try and convince the guy to give me an exchange and deal with that hassle of convincing him the screen isn't good or whatever.

So do any of these retailers have restocking fees for iPads these days?

Mitman

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2012
I've returned iPads at Best Buy and Walmart before and never had to pay any restocking fees. As far as official company policy, I'm not sure. But one thing you may want to keep in mind is Best Buy tracks returns by customer.

derekgroves

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2010
No restocking fees at any of the three- I "rent" stuff and return to all three religiously. Use cash so you don't have to wait on the refund to post to a card, and they'll have to give you cash back.

Bako-MacAddict

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2012
California
No restocking fees at any of the three- I "rent" stuff and return to all three religiously. Use cash so you don't have to wait on the refund to post to a card, and they'll have to give you cash back.

Lol, what ? So you basically "rent" stuff for 14 days then return the items ? You my friend , are the reason why we even have these restocking fees in the first place : )

ionjohn

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2013
Canada
Lol, what ? So you basically "rent" stuff for 14 days then return the items ? You my friend , are the reason why we even have these restocking fees in the first place : )

I'm writing this from an ipad air 2 and i plan on doing the same, if we really were impressed, we'd keep it ;)

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California

Merchants track returns and for a certain dollar amount, they will refund you via check.

Also, that's a pretty scummy thing for you to do.

derekgroves

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2010
I'm writing this from an ipad air 2 and i plan on doing the same, if we really were impressed, we'd keep it ;)

Precisely- if I keep soomething for a week and the novelty has worn off, and I can't justify the price, it goes back. Why should I keep it and be out the cash?

JSalig

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2010
If you're return-happy I'd probably stay away from Best Buy. They don't charge the fees but they scan your id for a reason.

iF34R

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2011
South Carolina
If you're return-happy I'd probably stay away from Best Buy. They don't charge the fees but they scan your id for a reason.

I've never had my ID scanned. I've returned several items over the past year. Two because I didn't like the item after using it, and a few others were faulty.

Likewise, I've never had any restocking fees at BB, WM, or Target.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Precisely- if I keep soomething for a week and the novelty has worn off, and I can't justify the price, it goes back. Why should I keep it and be out the cash?

Because it is people like you that made Costco change it's Return policy?

Seriously DON'T BUY A TV to WATCH THE SUPERBOWL to just Return it after ....seriously if you can't afford a 4k TV don't buy it because you just screw the people over who really don't like the product and not "Rent" them

----------

I've never had my ID scanned. I've returned several items over the past year. Two because I didn't like the item after using it, and a few others were faulty.

Likewise, I've never had any restocking fees at BB, WM, or Target.

Well perhaps you live in a State that prohibits it. I actually had to show it like 7 times at Bestbuy because I couldn't figure out which capacity iPad to buy and finally stuck to the 64GB but then had to exchange them because of Dust under the screen

iF34R

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2011
South Carolina

Seriously DON'T BUY A TV to WATCH THE SUPERBOWL to just Return it after ....seriously if you can't afford a 4k TV don't buy it because you just screw the people over who really don't like the product and not "Rent" them

----------

Well perhaps you live in a State that prohibits it. I actually had to show it like 7 times at Bestbuy because I couldn't figure out which capacity iPad to buy and finally stuck to the 64GB but then had to exchange them because of Dust under the screen
BB's in South Carolina and Georgia. ;)

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
i can now confirm no restocking fee at best buy...i grabbed an air 2 for my wife and the screen was horrid, so i just returned it for a refund and said i didnt like it...not gonna play the screen lottery

derekgroves

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2010
That is dishonest and you should stop it. I'm sure you don't run your own business do you?

You're fun at parties aren't you?

----------

Thanks for the advice mom but I hate football.

Actually, I buy an item and review it for my use. If I'm not 110% satisfied....why should I keep it? It's my fault if the retailer charges more for an item than its usefulness proves its worth?

I'll leave the throwing away of money to you.

Don't be so anal.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010

----------

Thanks for the advice mom but I hate football.

Actually, I buy an item and review it for my use. If I'm not 110% satisfied....why should I keep it? It's my fault if the retailer charges more for an item than its usefulness proves its worth?

I'll leave the throwing away of money to you.

Don't be so anal.

It's people like you who rent stuff is why they have restocking fees and on Costco case made the 90 day return policy on electronics.... Costco had a way better policy before but people just like you ruin it.

That's also why bestbuy has reported to requesting ID and has black listed serial return people before. Seriously they need a global blacklist so people like you are on it. Simple try out the product in the store, read reviews before you buy it.... Return policies are there for returning a item you don't want but it's not there to be abused which you obviously are doing by "renting"

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
I've returned electronics before to Best Buy and they don't have restocking fees.

I don't recommend doing this at best buy or they will flag you especially if you're swapping tablets. I believe it's called the retail equation and swapping tablets for any reason will give you a red mark. That's why they ask you for your identification.
I only shop at best buy for items $100 or below unless it's a deal to good to pass up.

derekgroves

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2010

----------

It's people like you who rent stuff is why they have restocking fees and on Costco case made the 90 day return policy on electronics.... Costco had a way better policy before but people just like you ruin it.

That's also why bestbuy has reported to requesting ID and has black listed serial return people before. Seriously they need a global blacklist so people like you are on it. Simple try out the product in the store, read reviews before you buy it.... Return policies are there for returning a item you don't want but it's not there to be abused which you obviously are doing by "renting"

Hahaha ok. You're right. Starting this weekend I'm changing my purchase behavior based entirely upon the influence your responses have had on me.

You're such a silly willy billy! :rolleyes:

Xarthan

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
Target I've found varies, sometimes they'll take it back and sometimes they won't. There was one target in Keizer Oregon that wouldn't even take back open iPads. I decided not to argue and waste my time and went to a different one and returned it.

Bestbuy has always been consistent and took everything back opened or not and without a fee.

mlody

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
I returned mac mini to best buy after 1 day and no restocking fee. when they asked for the reasons, I told them that the performance was mediocre.

Jhun80

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2013
What if i just wanna change color of my ipad air 2? Do i have to pay anything? From bestbuy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.