Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seasurfer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2007
I only have the 256gb SSD. I feel regretted and should have it upgraded to at least 512gb. I don't use a lot of space but I am constantly worrying about running out of space.

At this time I have only used about 32gb. I don't expect to use more than 100gb in the near future.

My question now is how much free space do I need to have in order to ensure that the retina 5k will runs smoothly or at its best?

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
The standard guideline is no less than 10-15% of your drive should be free space.

wmy5

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
upstate NY
I only have the 256gb SSD. I feel regretted and should have it upgraded to at least 512gb. I don't use a lot of space but I am constantly worrying about running out of space.

At this time I have only used about 32gb. I don't expect to use more than 100gb in the near future.

My question now is how much free space do I need to have in order to ensure that the retina 5k will runs smoothly or at its best?

You don't need to worry this. There is a reserved space already allocated (over provisioning). As you can see in your system report, you only get 251GB available, that is because the OP. So in short, you will always get (nearly) full speed.

macmee

Suspended
Dec 13, 2008
Canada

If you need more space why not get an external?

Kritzmire

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2014
I guess i have a similiar ish question
I have about 500g used on my internal imac currently
when i buy my retina imac im debating between 1tb fusion or 3tb
i probably only need the 1tb but will the computer be any faster if i get the 3tb?

macmee

Suspended
Dec 13, 2008
Canada
I guess i have a similiar ish question
I have about 500g used on my internal imac currently
when i buy my retina imac im debating between 1tb fusion or 3tb
i probably only need the 1tb but will the computer be any faster if i get the 3tb?

no, you need to get the higher end GPU and/or CPU if you want it to be "faster".

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
And with Thunderbolt and USB 3 it's easy to just move stuff off the flash drive and onto an external. You are going to have to have an external for backup anyway. Using a NAS would be slower, but even then most people overestimate how often they access much of that data stored on the flash. Unless your job is video editing. It's a question of proper management.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.