Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today unveiled its traditional black barriers around its forthcoming store in Lille, France, indicating that is construction is winding down as a grand opening is imminent, reports MacGeneration (Google Translate).

applestoreblacklille.jpg
The store will contain two levels and span 1400 square meters (roughly 15000 square feet). MacGeneration notes that the store will likely be opened by the end of November, which would mark Apple's eighteenth store in France following the iconic Apple Store Opéra and other locations in cities like Lyon.

Apple noted in its earnings conference call last week that it expects to open 25 new stores in fiscal 2015 with most of those stores planning to be located outside of the United States. One of those stores is expected be located in the United Arab Emirates, which is rumored to be Apple's biggest retail store to date.

Article Link: Apple Opening New Retail Store in Lille, France Soon

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
So you didn't go to Paris then :D

Yes, I did, and I got caught in a traffic jam at an intersection. A couple of nice Parisians came to me and started saying something in French to me, and I apologized (in French), and asked, in English for help to get through the intersection (I was in the middle, and everyone seemed to be going through the intersection). They raised their arms up, and got the other traffic to stop, and wished me well on my way (in English).

Two things I learned from this:
1. Don't get off an airplane, rent a car, then start touring on 3 hours of airplane sleep in a strange to me city.
2. Be nice to everyone, and don't listen to those that say that people are rude, mean, or otherwise, as a whole.

Normandy was even better. I felt like a rock star there. The nice people, especially the older ones, told me about the Americans coming in in 1944. I thanked them for their kind hospitality (buying their lunch helped too... I was on expenses.)

RightMACatU

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2012
Yes, I did, and I got caught in a traffic jam at an intersection. A couple of nice Parisians came to me and started saying something in French to me, and I apologized (in French), and asked, in English for help to get through the intersection (I was in the middle, and everyone seemed to be going through the intersection). They raised their arms up, and got the other traffic to stop, and wished me well on my way (in English).

1. Don't get off an airplane, rent a car, then start touring on 3 hours of airplane sleep in a strange to me city.
2. Be nice to everyone, and don't listen to those that say that people are rude, mean, or otherwise, as a whole.

Normandy was even better. I felt like a rock star there. The nice people, especially the older ones, told me about the Americans coming in in 1944. I thanked them for their kind hospitality (buying their lunch helped too... I was on expenses.)

Glad you had a good experience.
I've been to France and Belgium sssseveral times and people are always nice with the only exception of Paris (and I've heard of several other people with the same experience). My rules in Paris: never ask a second question to the same person; in restaurants and terasses do not delay the waiter, minimize the questions and know exactly how and what to order.

LOL!

Moopy Sac

macrumors member
May 29, 2003
Don't wear an opposition football shirt in Lille or gangs of right wing thugs will try to beat you to death.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.

Alternative theory: Parisians are smart, and quickly realized that being nice and helpful was the fastest was to get rid of an idiotic American who was causing a traffic jam...:D

waveboreale

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2012
Paris
Glad you had a good experience.
I've been to France and Belgium sssseveral times and people are always nice with the only exception of Paris (and I've heard of several other people with the same experience). My rules in Paris: never ask a second question to the same person; in restaurants and terasses do not delay the waiter, minimize the questions and know exactly how and what to order.

LOL!

I was born and raised in Paris and I try to help tourists who look lost in the métro or have their head buried in a map on the streets just like I hope I would be helped if I was a foreign country.

But like any other world city like NYC, London, Tokyo, people are always in a rush and don't really have time/not in the mood to answer a tourist's questions on their way to work.

When I visited NYC, I expected to meet rude New Yorkers but no everyone I encountered were nice to me. You have rude people everywhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.