Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ferc Kast

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2012
The Multiverse
So, as I've gotten more ready to sell my iPad mini 1st gen, I've started contemplating to upgrade to the iPad Air 2 instead of the Mini 3. Not only did it get the Touch ID as did the Mini 3, but it got the laminated screen, faster processor (which would be a more noticeable leap from the Mini's A5) & more RAM. The thing is I keep coming back to is the screen size itself. I chose the Mini before because of how portable it is; iPad Air had yet to be announced at that time and my former iPad 2 was feeling too clunky to carry around everywhere.

If the market for Mini is truly gone (as potentially indicated by the Mini 3), then I am left to wonder how portable is the latest full-sized iPad? I ask because whichever upgrade path that I go this time, I want to hold onto it at least 2 years if not longer as I did with my current Mini. With my iPhone 6, I reach for that more for videos these days than my Mini because of the closing gap between screen sizes. Having said all of that, what are your thoughts on which I should upgrade to? Is the Air 2 portable enough finally that I can return to the full-sized iPad line?

GoingDark

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2013
It depends on how you're carrying your iPad mini. If you're putting it in a jacket pocket or a purse, then no, the Air 2 isn't as portable. If you're already carrying it in a bag or sleeve, then I would say it definitely is.

I wouldn't say that the market for "mini" iPads is gone, but it's certainly going to shrink as phones get bigger and bigger.

How do you currently use your iPad mini? Where are you taking it and how are you transporting it?

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
I like my Mini 3. I can put it in my smaller purse perfectly. I've already had a Note 3 and even tried the iPhone 6 (Not the +). I'm really favoring the smaller tablet and 4" phone factor. For me it works. I've got a laptop with a 17" screen at home if I'm seriously needing a bigger screen.

Ferc Kast

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2012
The Multiverse
iPad Upgrade

It depends on how you're carrying your iPad mini. If you're putting it in a jacket pocket or a purse, then no, the Air 2 isn't as portable. If you're already carrying it in a bag or sleeve, then I would say it definitely is.

I wouldn't say that the market for "mini" iPads is gone, but it's certainly going to shrink as phones get bigger and bigger.

How do you currently use your iPad mini? Where are you taking it and how are you transporting it?

My current uses for my Mini are Office 365, Documents 5, Teamviewer, entertainment, casual gaming, reading books, web browsing, and social media. Essentially, it becomes my laptop when I am out and about. I simply enjoy tablet-optimized apps too much to sell my Mini and be content with only my iPhone.

I take my Mini most places when I'm out, especially shopping or going to the library. Most of the time, I use a small messenger bag to carry it with me. (I would have to do measurements to see if the Air 2 could fit in it, since I'm unsure of my bag's size.) In fact, I rarely carry my Mini in its case without my bag.

I like my Mini 3. I can put it in my smaller purse perfectly. I've already had a Note 3 and even tried the iPhone 6 (Not the +). I'm really favoring the smaller tablet and 4" phone factor. For me it works. I've got a laptop with a 17" screen at home if I'm seriously needing a bigger screen.

I currently use the smaller tablet and 4.7" phone form factors, but I am tempted for the Air 2's form factor. I think the 3.2" difference in screen size between my iPhone & iPad mini is the main reason that I'm considering the Air 2 over the Mini 3.

Last edited:

DaCurmudgen

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2012
The real decision is if a 9.7 screen is too big

So, as I've gotten more ready to sell my iPad mini 1st gen, I've started contemplating to upgrade to the iPad Air 2 instead of the Mini 3. Not only did it get the Touch ID as did the Mini 3, but it got the laminated screen, faster processor (which would be a more noticeable leap from the Mini's A5) & more RAM. The thing is I keep coming back to is the screen size itself. I chose the Mini before because of how portable it is; iPad Air had yet to be announced at that time and my former iPad 2 was feeling too clunky to carry around everywhere.

If the market for Mini is truly gone (as potentially indicated by the Mini 3), then I am left to wonder how portable is the latest full-sized iPad? I ask because whichever upgrade path that I go this time, I want to hold onto it at least 2 years if not longer as I did with my current Mini. With my iPhone 6, I reach for that more for videos these days than my Mini because of the closing gap between screen sizes. Having said all of that, what are your thoughts on which I should upgrade to? Is the Air 2 portable enough finally that I can return to the full-sized iPad line?

If you are using an iPad 2, then the Air 2 will feel a lot smaller, lighter, faster, and provide greater resolution. As someone who ultimately moved to an rMini last year, I can tell you that the original Air was tempting, but what drew me to the rMini was the simple fact that I could easily carry it in a coat pocket and it wasn't cumbersome to use on public transit. It still isn't small enough for my pants pocket, but the size of the mini enables me to have my iPad with me all the time, which means I end up using it so much more than my iPad 3, which now stays at home.

I think the Air 2 is certainly light enough to hold with one hand for a long time, and certainly the specs for the Air 2 make it your most advanced option. But your uncertainty re: screen size makes me think this will be where you spend most of your internal debate, and will be how you need to decide. Again, I love my rMini and it handles all my needs, which includes writing and music production, so even the Mini 3 would be a great step up from a mini 1, but if the portability of the mini form factor isn't your #1 requirement, then I would think the Air 2 would be a great upgrade for you that will easily handle the next few years of iOS upgrades and app developments -- more so than the Mini 3 or whatever you have today.

GoingDark

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2013
My current uses for my Mini are Office 365, Documents 5, Teamviewer, entertainment, casual gaming, reading books, web browsing, and social media. Essentially, it becomes my laptop when I am out and about. I simply enjoy tablet-optimized apps too much to sell my Mini and be content with only my iPhone.

I take my Mini most places when I'm out, especially shopping or going to the library. Most of the time, I use a small messenger bag to carry it with me. (I would have to do measurements to see if the Air 2 could fit in it, since I'm unsure of my bag's size.) In fact, I rarely carry my Mini in its case without my bag.
Based on your usage patterns, if it fits in your bag I would absolutely take the Air 2 over the Mini. There's no "portability" advantage to the Mini in your case - the Air is just as portable and the extra screen real estate plus the laminated/anti-glare screen will make you a lot happier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.