Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Akula971

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
Perfidious Albion
I thought I was lucky getting an Apple refurbished 2.6GHz Quad core I7 with a 1TB fusion drive. Well it arrived today, and when I started it up, all there was, was a grey screen with a no entry sign on it. No operating system? OK not impressed, but I can install from the internet, so I pressed cxmd+R and off it went to get it, but then when it came to install it said no hard drive found? So I started up disk utility and saw only one 128GB drive, unformatted, But wait it was supposed to have a 1TB fusion drive, where is it?

I've tried re-setting the pram, installing a fresh copy of Mavericks, but no show. So I'm left a bit miffed and either I'm doing something wrong or the drive is dead?

Any ideas?

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
I wouldn't risk opening it and trying to fix the hardware yourself. Take it into your local Apple Store genius bar. You're covered for any problems.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I thought I was lucky getting an Apple refurbished 2.6GHz Quad core I7 with a 1TB fusion drive. Well it arrived today, and when I started it up, all there was, was a grey screen with a no entry sign on it. No operating system? OK not impressed, but I can install from the internet, so I pressed cxmd+R and off it went to get it, but then when it came to install it said no hard drive found? So I started up disk utility and saw only one 128GB drive, unformatted, But wait it was supposed to have a 1TB fusion drive, where is it?

I've tried re-setting the pram, installing a fresh copy of Mavericks, but no show. So I'm left a bit miffed and either I'm doing something wrong or the drive is dead?

Any ideas?

Very simple idea. If you buy a product and it doesn't work, don't post here asking for help to get it working. Instead, return it to the seller and let them fix it.

----------

I wouldn't risk opening it and trying to fix the hardware yourself. Take it into your local Apple Store genius bar. You're covered for any problems.

I once had a problem with a (non-Apple) product, took it to the store, had it replaced, and then I went on the Internet and found a thread with more than 100 people trying to figure out how to fix that problem...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.