Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lynxpoint

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2005
Hi,

I am considering putting a data-only service on an iPhone and using a VOIP service for the very few voice calls I need.

My question is has anybody tried doing this?

Buying the phone outright and using a data only package would be considerably cheaper than a subsidized phone with the required voice service along with data service.

Thanks.

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
Hi,

I am considering putting a data-only service on an iPhone and using a VOIP service for the very few voice calls I need.

My question is has anybody tried doing this?

Buying the phone outright and using a data only package would be considerably cheaper than a subsidized phone with the required voice service along with data service.

Thanks.

I've done this. I've taken out the t-mobile sim out of my iPad and put it in my iPhone 6 and it does work. but this was just an experiment. i did not use it for more then 5 minutes.

the catch is you need to activate that sim on an iPad and then put it in the iPhone. they won't let you take a sim card and activate it directly using the iPhone

how do you think about t-mobile ? you can get a data plan for $10 a month
and try that, i would recommend that walmart plan 100 minutes of talk plus unlimited messages and 5 gigs for $30

that i think is the closest thing you are going to get to an official plan from any carrier.

i know for sure iPads get music freedom for $10 , but i haven't given my iPhone the acid test to make sure i get the same benefit

what voip service are you going to use? do you have any recommendations? i only get 100 minutes on that wallmart plan. i really wanted to use talkatone but they turned off google voice. and google voice for iOS only cellular and does not use wifi.

i don't want to sign up with vonage, but i guess i could get the OOMA app.

Last edited:

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
I've done this. I've taken out the t-mobile sim out of my iPad and put it in my iPhone 6 and it does work. but this was just an experiment. i did not use it for more then 5 minutes.

the catch is you need to activate that sim on an iPad and then put it in the iPhone. they won't let you take a sim card and activate it directly using the iPhone

how do you think about t-mobile ? you can get a data plan for $10 a month
and try that, i would recommend that walmart plan 100 minutes of talk plus unlimited messages and 5 gigs for $30

that i think is the closest thing you are going to get to an official plan from any carrier.

i know for sure iPads get music freedom for $10 , but i haven't given my iPhone the acid test to make sure i get the same benefit

what voip service are you going to use? do you have any recommendations? i only get 100 minutes on that wallmart plan. i really wanted to use talkatone but they turned off google voice. and google voice for iOS only cellular and does not use wifi.

i don't want to sign up with vonage, but i guess i could get the OOMA app.

Using Google Voice through the Google Hangouts app can be used over wifi without any cellular connection. I've tested it myself by putting the phone in airplane mode, then turning wifi back on. No data or minutes used. Caller ID shows my Google Voice number when calls are made this way, not the cell number.

That said, so far GV through the Hangouts app performs poorly if you're trying to navigate some call menu tree, like calling the cable company. I have yet to get it to mange that even once, though I've tried several times with different places. If you don't have a landline to use for such things, going with an plan like TMobile's $30 prepaid 100 minute/5 GB data/unlimited text option is probably a smart move.

Mrfatboy

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2008
I use gv mobile 3. Not bad. Not perfect. Can use wifi. I think Google announced they are shutting down their wifi api for last March. However it still works.

Lynxpoint

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2005
rigormortis,

I don't have a VOIP service in mind as of yet. I have looked at Line2 as a possibility.

I am in Canada, so my data or voice/data options are limited. The value in data only is it is flexible - $5 to have it per month, from there it steps up in tiers to 40/month for 5 gigs (each gig above that is an additional $10).

I never use even 1 gig on my phone now, and the very little voice calling I do won't equate to a massive data use jump (plus I am on wifi most of the time anyway).

TECHNOLOGE

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2014
I have a friend, the carrying around her iPad all days and she had the iPad data unlimited plan and she has the iPad data unlimited plan.

She currently has the Line 2 VOIP calling, she pays 9.99 a month, for Unlimited Talk & Text.

You can also pay Line 2 99.99 for the entire year of Unlimited Calling and text.

Line 2 is ok, and i do mean OK, when it comes to calling, the quality is not the best but it is OK.

The best of VOIP is RingCentral they are the best when it comes to VOIP, i have placed calls through there VOIP app and the calls are clear, and i would go with them for VOIP.

tkingsley

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2014
iPhone 6 Data only plan with Google Voice/Line2/Skype

Awesome points by everyone here. I've been debating on a better solution for a second phone number for a long time. I was like "are you kidding me?!" at the Verizon rep when I asked about pricing for a second line/second phone. Ridiculous :eek:

I've used Google Voice for years, experimented with Skype, workarounds with both Google Voice and Skype (mix of outgoing/incoming calls/lack of MMS/through cellular/VoIP) - it is a mess. My latest is Skype (http://www.skype.com/en/features/) and Line2 (https://www.line2.com/)

Google voice doesn't work as VoIP only, unless you go the route of integrating with Hangouts, which I'm not into. MMS/group texts aren't consistent yet, and Skype has that fallout too. Guess you can't ask for more when GV is free. Line2 after almost a week has great call quality, is entirely VoIP, and it just keeps everything in the app. MMS is supposed to come as per their customer service, and hopefully an app update too.

I don't mind paying, and $9.95/month is very reasonable. Much better than the $40/month the Verizon rep showed me, and that too with a second phone.

Am I correct in assuming the T-Mobile $30 plan (100 mins/5GB data) will also have their Wi-Fi calling on iPhone 6? That would be almost perfect to help keep my carrier number separate from a second number for work/freelance purposes.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Am I correct in assuming the T-Mobile $30 plan (100 mins/5GB data) will also have their Wi-Fi calling on iPhone 6? That would be almost perfect to help keep my carrier number separate from a second number for work/freelance purposes.

The $30 prepaid T-Mobile plan does allow for WiFi calling with the 5s, 6, and 6+ models. That said, whether calls use the cell signal or WiFi, they still count towards your 100 minutes, as do calls made via the Google Voice app. Calls made from the Google Hangouts app do not.

Call clarity via TM WiFi calling pretty much blows away the Google options, crystal clear and faster connection. I've been very pleased with it for the relatively minimal calling I do.

tkingsley

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2014
The $30 prepaid T-Mobile plan does allow for WiFi calling with the 5s, 6, and 6+ models. That said, whether calls use the cell signal or WiFi, they still count towards your 100 minutes, as do calls made via the Google Voice app. Calls made from the Google Hangouts app do not.

Call clarity via TM WiFi calling pretty much blows away the Google options, crystal clear and faster connection. I've been very pleased with it for the relatively minimal calling I do.

Thanks for clarifying. Yeah, Google Voice through the app uses cell minutes, which right now I don't mind, except that in the native phone app, you see a bunch of random outgoing numbers (like 678, 617 area code). Hangouts would be VoIP regardless, but I'm shying away from my Google/Gmail chat status being shown whenever Hangouts is open/I'm on a call, and whatever is integrated with Google+.

I'm leaning toward Line2 over Skype for work/freelance related matters and it'll work over VoIP if I'm on cellular, or wifi. The T-Mobile test-drive will be interesting. Holidays will give some time for checking that out.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.