Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ineel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
I know at&t VoLTE is already deployed in Chicago, Minneapolis, Atlanta, and Dallas, when will it be deployed nationwide? Anybody know their timeline to when it will be deployed and why only a few markets are active now? It makes sense that Atlanta and Dallas are deployed because those are headquarters of at&t mobility and at&t inc respectively. Chicago/midwest is at&t's beta test market for literally everything. These cities got deployed in mid-may, it is now November, so what is taking them so long for rollout? I want to finally be able to make HD voice calls and use LTE data during voice calls

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
You're probably not going to see a widespread rollout of VoLTE on AT&T until well into 2015. THey're not as motivated as Verizon to rapidly roll it out, and they aren't in the midst of a modernization effort like T-Mobile.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
You're probably not going to see a widespread rollout of VoLTE on AT&T until well into 2015. THey're not as motivated as Verizon to rapidly roll it out, and they aren't in the midst of a modernization effort like T-Mobile.

This has to be one of the most uninformed things I've read on here.

VoLTE is coming... it will be nationwide soon. It is testing right now. If you have a Chicago-area phone number, VoLTE works across their LTE network according to reports on HoFo.

AT&T is more interested in refarming Band 2/PCS for LTE across the US to alleviate capacity problems from Band 17. Their next logical step is deploying LTE-A's Carrier Aggregation. Something that has already gone live in these VoLTE markets.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
There was an article on fierce wireless a few weeks ago saying that AT&T and Sprint weren't spending as much towards their networks as Verizon and Tmobile are right now.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007

No, I'm pretty sure you're read and even written worse. :) But if you have an issue with what I've said, you should talk to AT&T's CEO, who has made it clear that he views other carriers' more aggressive plans as based on a need to play catch up: T-Mobile needing to expand and modernize their coverage, and Verizon needing to offer simultaneous voice and data on phones with single radios, like the iPhone.

You may also what to him ask what the deal is with AT&T reducing their spending on network expansion and improvement. That requires money, and they appear to be spenidng less of it.

VoLTE is coming... it will be nationwide soon.

Yeah. In 2015.

It is testing right now. If you have a Chicago-area phone number, VoLTE works across their LTE network according to reports on HoFo.

If you actually read what was written in this thread before slamming it, you might realize that no one has disputed that or really disagreeing with you on that point. There's also a few other markets that AT&T has launched the service.

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/services/hd-voice.html#fbid=pgPqiJ9kXqt

But it's far from nationwide. It WILL happen no doubt. In 2015.

----------

There was an article on fierce wireless a few weeks ago saying that AT&T and Sprint weren't spending as much towards their networks as Verizon and Tmobile are right now.

Yup. And in June, there was a reduction on network expansion.

http://www.rcrwireless.com/20140625.../att-make-left-turn-infrastructure-investment

TWD98j

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2010
Slightly OT, but does anybody know why the 5-series phones are not able to do VoLTE? That's a feature that I had hoped would come with iOS 8 and that at least the 5S would get, but then they made it an a 6-series exclusive.

Is there some hardware chip exclusive to the 6-series phones that enables it? Or is it a case of Apple simply holding the 5-series phones back from being able to have it?

I kind of hoped that since the 5-series phones obviously have LTE radios that it would be able to work via a software update and carrier support, but it seems I was mistaken.

It's a moot point for me right now though, as AT&T does not offer it in my area right now anyway. Just thought I would ask.

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA
We have LTE all over Atlanta, but I've yet to find anywhere that has VoLTE enabled. Everytime I make a call it switches to 4G.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I hope when it does get rolled out on AT&T its better than Verizon's implementation.
They have lots of issues with dropped calls and with it automaticly not be able to switch from LTE to 3G without ending the calls.
Not like I have any issues using 4G while on call and still be able to access data.
What kind of TA are we looking at? Sometime in 2015?

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
If ATT really isn't working on their network much, I must be dreaming because at my sister's house in rural Northern Ohio where I have NEVER had service or been able to make a phone call as recently as 1 month ago, I get :D:D:D:mad::mad: and about 5Mbps down/3Mbps up.

This has actually made the whole family there really think about switching to ATT.

I live in Miami, and have noticed my LTE switching to 4G and back quite a bit in the last several days. Don't know if it is traffic related or work being done on towers, because I don't ever go below :D:D:D:D:mad:.

----------

Expansion related, or purely catching up to ATT related to dual data/voice usage over cellular network?

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo

Winona Northdakota

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2010
at&t VoLTE deployment

Slightly OT, but does anybody know why the 5-series phones are not able to do VoLTE? That's a feature that I had hoped would come with iOS 8 and that at least the 5S would get, but then they made it an a 6-series exclusive.

Is there some hardware chip exclusive to the 6-series phones that enables it? Or is it a case of Apple simply holding the 5-series phones back from being able to have it?

I kind of hoped that since the 5-series phones obviously have LTE radios that it would be able to work via a software update and carrier support, but it seems I was mistaken.

It's a moot point for me right now though, as AT&T does not offer it in my area right now anyway. Just thought I would ask.

This is a good question. From what I understand, the iPhone 5, 5C and 5S radios have the capability for VoLTE, Apple is blocking it. I am not sure why exactly, especially the iPhone 5S. The only explanation I can think of is because of battery life and VoLTE eats through battery fast. I think there was hope for VoLTE and the iPhone 5S, that the 5S's bigger battery would make it possible, though in the end probably wasn't enough.

Last edited:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
This is a good question. From what I understand, the iPhone 5, 5C and 5S radios have the capability for VoLTE, Apple is blocking it. I am not sure why exactly, especially the iPhone 5S. The only explanation I can think of is because of battery life and VoLTE eats through battery fast. I think there was hope for VoLTE and the iPhone 5S, that the 5S's bigger battery would make it possible, though in the end probably wasn't enough.

What 5S bigger battery?
It's the same size battery as the iPhone 5 and 5c.
The rest of your assumptions are also incorrect about volte and the 5S.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
What 5S bigger battery?

I thought I read once last year that 5s battery had slightly more mAh and 5c slightly more still?

Winona Northdakota

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2010
at&t VoLTE deployment

What 5S bigger battery?

The iPhone 5S does have a bigger battery, 1570 mAh Vs. 1440 mAh of the iPhone 5. The iPhone 6, 1810 mAh.

About the rest:

http://www.tmonews.com/2014/05/iphone-can-support-volte-but-likely-wont/

"Stats from 2012, showed VoLTE to require almost 2x the power for the same length of call, but my instinct is that was due to the LTE chips available at the time."

http://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/2hr3xw/

Last edited:

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
What 5S bigger battery?
As far as I'm aware, the MDM9615 in the 5/5C/5S is capable of VoLTE.

I wonder if there'll eventually be a jailbreak tweak to enable it on those phones, much like how MMS was enabled on the iPhone 2G

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

VoLTE is coming... it will be nationwide soon. It is testing right now. If you have a Chicago-area phone number, VoLTE works across their LTE network according to reports on HoFo.

I'm not sure if that is true. I have a 312 number from AT&T on my iPhone 6. I definitely get VoLTE in downtown Chicago, but not in other locations where I've used the phone.

Allograft

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014

Gratzi

----------

I'm not sure if that is true. I have a 312 number from AT&T on my iPhone 6. I definitely get VoLTE in downtown Chicago, but not in other locations where I've used the phone.

Yeah, it's the Chicago area, not a phone number. any AWS customer with a VoLTE handset in the Chicago area would get VoLTE, regardless of their number

----------

As far as I'm aware, the MDM9615 in the 5/5C/5S is capable of VoLTE.

I wonder if there'll eventually be a jailbreak tweak to enable it on those phones, much like how MMS was enabled on the iPhone 2G

I think it's more a question of the quality of the user experience as opposed to the question of strict capabilities. Same reason why Apple on some of the early broad well processors...atrocious performance and Apple is all about all day battery life these days for their laptops

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
I think LTE should work in most of Cook County, IL is what he meant maybe? Are they only deploying VoLTE on AWS or something? I find that interesting...but AWS =/= VoLTE....

Apple could have done it with a firmware and software update but then again why would they? After all they are the same company that said the original iPhone wasn't good enough for MMS, or you needed a 3GS for video because the 3G couldn't do video (despite every other smartphone being able to be updated for that!), etc. They love tying software features to hardware, more than what is necessary to maintain clean minimal performance across legacy devices and new devices alike but oh well.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
I think it's more a question of the quality of the user experience as opposed to the question of strict capabilities. Same reason why Apple on some of the early broad well processors...atrocious performance and Apple is all about all day battery life these days for their laptops

I'm sure that's the excuse they would use if they ever got pressed on the matter. Battery life wouldn't be any worse than doing facetime audio over LTE, which the old phones do support

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
We have LTE all over Atlanta, but I've yet to find anywhere that has VoLTE enabled. Everytime I make a call it switches to 4G.

I may be wrong but I believe you need a new SIM to enable VoLTE. If you just moved an existing SIM over to an iphone6/6+ it may not be capable.

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA
I may be wrong but I believe you need a new SIM to enable VoLTE. If you just moved an existing SIM over to an iphone6/6+ it may not be capable.

I used the SIM that shipped with the iPhone 6. Do I need to replace it? That's ridiculous if I do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.