Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMaven

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2011
I was really wishing Apple would release a 128GB iPod Touch, but i did not happen this year. I wonder if they will release one next year. I really need a portable music player that isn't my phone. If Apple doesn't release one next year, I guess I'll have to get the 64GB iPod Touch.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
Id like a 13", 512GB iPad with 4GB of RAM running OSX by this year for under $1500. But its likely that none of that will happen :[ Because the market for iPods is now so low, it is unlikely for them to refresh iPods for much longer, especially at such a large capacity. Why dont you like to use your phone for music? or buy a used iPod classic?

iMaven

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2011
Id like a 13", 512GB iPad with 4GB of RAM running OSX by this year for under $1500. But its likely that none of that will happen :[ Because the market for iPods is now so low, it is unlikely for them to refresh iPods for much longer, especially at such a large capacity. Why dont you like to use your phone for music? or buy a used iPod classic?

Neither one of those options works for me. I use the iPhone too much to keep it docked and the classic doesn't work in the dock.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
As it happens, I wouldn't say no to an iPod Touch with a SSD of 128 GB myself; indeed, I had been hoping for (longingly, in vain, clearly) for an announcement stating that these very specifications were about to be introduced to the iPod classic line………

Well, one can always dream…….

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
I was really wishing Apple would release a 128GB iPod Touch, but i did not happen this year. I wonder if they will release one next year. I really need a portable music player that isn't my phone. If Apple doesn't release one next year, I guess I'll have to get the 64GB iPod Touch.

Buy an 128GB iPhone 6 - it's what Apple wants you to do.

The IPT will be duscontinued soon.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
Neither one of those options works for me. I use the iPhone too much to keep it docked and the classic doesn't work in the dock.

I dont doubt there is a lightning to 30pin adapter for the dock. Or get an older 30 pin dock (since they are probably cheap now), or some bluetooth speakers so you can play your music from your iPhone?

You have a problem, and instead of wishing for a product, Im trying to help you find a solution :D

iLLUMI

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2012

Not likely to be discontinued otherwise there would no longer be such a thing as an iPod. Which would be really weird.
Considering the iPod Classic is no more, there needs to be an alternative.
People still want music playing devices. An iPhone doesnt really replace a music device, just like an iPhone doesnt really replace cameras.

An iPod is a cheaper alternative to an iPhone. There is no way that I would pay $1000 for a 64gb iPhone 6 just to use it is an iPod.
64GB iPod Touch = $340
64GB iPhone 6 = $1000

If said iPhone was reduced down to $600 then I might consider buying it.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
Not likely to be discontinued otherwise there would no longer be such a thing as an iPod. Which would be really weird.
Considering the iPod Classic is no more, there needs to be an alternative.
People still want music playing devices. An iPhone doesnt really replace a music device, just like an iPhone doesnt really replace cameras.

An iPod is a cheaper alternative to an iPhone. There is no way that I would pay $1000 for a 64gb iPhone 6 just to use it is an iPod.
64GB iPod Touch = $340
64GB iPhone 6 = $1000

If said iPhone was reduced down to $600 then I might consider buying it.

iPhones in their millions have already replaced both cameras and music players for the vast majority.

The vanishingly few - who just want a music player - won't really be figuring in Apple's plans. I can see a Shuffle device possibly remaining.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Not likely to be discontinued otherwise there would no longer be such a thing as an iPod.

The Nano is still on the market. It's actually closer to the iPod DNA than the Touch. It isn't a replacement at all, but that's different from having no iPods for sale any more.

----------

I dont doubt there is a lightning to 30pin adapter for the dock. Or get an older 30 pin dock (since they are probably cheap now), or some bluetooth speakers so you can play your music from your iPhone?

You have a problem, and instead of wishing for a product, Im trying to help you find a solution :D

I tried to find one (genuine Apple, not interested in potentially off-spec adapters that could ruin the connector or even the main logic board) - need found one. I think Apple only makes these 30-pin to Lightning, not the other way around.

iMaven

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2011

But that doesn't solve the problem. I use it too much to keep it docked.

----------

As it happens, I wouldn't say no to an iPod Touch with a SSD of 128 GB myself; indeed, I had been hoping for (longingly, in vain, clearly) for an announcement stating that these very specifications were about to be introduced to the iPod classic line………

Well, one can always dream…….

128GB would be perfect and it would be nice if the dream became reality. Otherwise, I'll probably have to purchase the 64GB and which doesn't leave me enough room for all my music, and no room for apps (which I don't care about on an iPod). I just want the space.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
But that doesn't solve the problem. I use it too much to keep it docked.

----------

128GB would be perfect and it would be nice if the dream became reality. Otherwise, I'll probably have to purchase the 64GB and which doesn't leave me enough room for all my music, and no room for apps (which I don't care about on an iPod). I just want the space.

I think what Ffosse was saying to buy another iPhone 6 128GB to use solely as an iPod. Costly, but there is a solution.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
I think what Ffosse was saying to buy another iPhone 6 128GB to use solely as an iPod. Costly, but there is a solution.

Well, that's clearly what Apple wants you to do.

I don't really favour one platform over another, but there are plenty of cheap android phones, some which will accept an 128GB microSD, not Apple, but considerably cheaper.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK

I don't really favour one platform over another, but there are plenty of cheap android phones, some which will accept an 128GB microSD, not Apple, but considerably cheaper.

I'd rather have my galaxy S5 with its 128gb micro sd card. Which is superior to an ipod touch or the iPhone 6 imo.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
iPhones in their millions have already replaced both cameras and music players for the vast majority.

The vanishingly few - who just want a music player - won't really be figuring in Apple's plans. I can see a Shuffle device possibly remaining.

Exactly. My incoming iPhone 6 Plus will be music player, point and shoot camera, phone, and tablet, all in one device. 2014 technology rocks. To think that you used to have to carry a separate device for each one of the uses I listed just so how much technology has come.

With larger capacity iPhones, I see no reason to carry around a separate music device.

slope

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2009
Airplay??

I can understand you not wanting to dock the phone.

But why pine for a $400 128 GB ipod touch to dock, when you could use an Airport Express for $99 US that you can use to Stream your music with AirPlay?

You could get a few of them for the price of a 64 GB Touch.

Last edited:

iMaven

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2011

Buying another phone that has to have a voice and data plan won't work for me. I think I'd be wasting my money.

if you're docking it, get itunes match to supplement it

This is a great suggestion. If I end up getting the 64GB, then that's what I'd have to do. Not happy about that solution, but it's an alternative.

I can understand you not wanting to dock the phone.

But why pine for a $400 128 GB ipod touch to dock, when you could use an Airport Express for $99 US that you can use to Stream your music with AirPlay?

You could get a few of them for the price of an Touch.
Airport Express is a great option if I didn't need the portability. I have more than one dock at more than one location.

If they don't add the 128GB iPod, then I'll just get the 64GB and use iTunes Match.

J232022

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2014
I think they should have kept the ipod classic it was a great product and music people loved them . Hopefully memory prices will go down and maybe someday will have a 128 TB drive in it lol .

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
I think they should have kept the ipod classic it was a great product and music people loved them . Hopefully memory prices will go down and maybe someday will have a 128 TB drive in it lol .

its discontinued indefinitely, its going to cost them more to have chinese factories start manufacturing parts for it. not to mention restarting that whole line again, quality control, and everything else that goes along with manufacturing.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
I do not think if possible that Apple would actually make an ipod touch 128gb just so that people buy it for keeping music. Its just weird.

Ipod touch is not so much of a dedicated music player itself. Sound quality is worst than 39usd sansa clip. U do not want to put hundred of video to watch on Ipod touch either because screen is too small and we already got Ipad mini at same price range for that.

Too bad TPT will discontinued soon, there is no purpose for it. Ipod nano might get last breathing because its actually apple only dedicated music player now. They will add wifi capability to it. I dont think shuffle is selling very well at 2GB $40. Too many alternative and apple now focus almost all product line at high end. Even Ipad mini is in trouble of discontinue because people prefer IP 6 plus more. U can tell by the Gen 3 with 0 update but the seldom use finger scan.

J232022

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2014
its discontinued indefinitely, its going to cost them more to have chinese factories start manufacturing parts for it. not to mention restarting that whole line again, quality control, and everything else that goes along with manufacturing.

I actually was talking about the ipod touch having 128 TB lol , that's what I want but it is very unlikely . Maybe in 5-10 years we will have a 1 TB or more ipod touch or a similar device . I know the ipod classic probably is not ever coming back , its sad but technology changes . If Apple makes a ipod touch with like 250 or 500 GB I would be really happy but 1 TB or would be great .

Last edited:

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
I actually was talking about the ipod touch having 128 TB lol , that's what I want but it is very unlikely . Maybe in 5-10 years we will have a 1 TB or more ipod touch or a similar device . I know the ipod classic probably is not ever coming back , its sad but technology changes . If Apple makes a ipod touch with like 250 or 500 GB I would be really happy but 1 TB or would be great .

with the rate of how of how apple is going with the storage upgrade it probably won't come until we die.

we still have a 16GB (in reality 12GB) as a base model. Apple is milking this, we won't see a 256 GB model any time soon at this rate.

hell they're still selling 8GB models when the OS itself takes 4-5 GB, what the hell are you going to do with a 3-4GB iPhone 5C?

great marketing scheme and people will still buy it, but a real douche bag move.

I've been a confidant of the iPod Touch, Businesses will need a cheaper option, but with BYOD (Bring your own device) programs where the company buys half of the device and allows you to keep it after you leave the company, i can see the iPod diminishing.

The iPod would of had a higher lifetime if they just didn't put an iPad 2 processor in it, which would of let the iPod to have 1GB of ram. Then it probably would of lasted another 4 years.

i can estimate 80% of businesses will use iPads compared to 20% that will need to use iPods/iPhones, give or take 10%. But that means A LOT will still need the iPod size devices for barcode scanning/credit card scanning, Warehouse scan and pack, quick inventory look up, quick on the point sales/invoicing, etc etc.

one things for sure, intensive barcode scanning, the iPod is better (or better yet the old school gun) or having a hands free iPad mounted so you can just scan stuff as you go.

but carrying around an iPad with an attached scanner just isn't plausible, even with a small blue tooth scanner, sometimes its a bit tedious.

Outrun1986

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
I still don't think the iPod touch has enough battery life for scanning, unless you somehow put it in a battery case or attach it permanently to a charger. Sometimes my iPod touch 5th gen battery instantly tanks to red when trying to scan a barcode even if it's fully charged. At most you are probably looking at a 1-2 hour battery life when scanning, it definitely wouldn't go all day or even 4-5 hours. Therefore I don't think a Touch is a viable alternative for scanning.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.