Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

natallica

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 7, 2005
Fairfax, VA
Hey everyone -

I was just sitting here and all of a sudden this happened. It went away on its own not long after I took the photo.

This is a fully pimped model and I wasn't doing anything more than web browsing at the time.

Has anyone else seen anything like this?

Thanks...

Attachments

• imac_graphics_issue1.jpg
    imac_graphics_issue1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 289

enroh

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2012
Hey everyone -

I was just sitting here and all of a sudden this happened. It went away on its own not long after I took the photo.

This is a fully pimped model and I wasn't doing anything more than web browsing at the time.

Thanks...

I personally dont have the new imac yet but I have seen quite a few people complaining of graphical glitches with their machines. Just look at the threads and you will see you are not alone.

natallica

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 7, 2005
Fairfax, VA
Hmm. Never had a single issue with my 2007 or 2010 iMacs.

It's a bummer to spend this kind of money on a computer and have issues. Hopefully it will never happen again. If it does, I guess that's what AppleCare is for!

OurDarkness

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2014
Greece
LG or AMD?

Hmm.. yeah you have a point.

I don't like LG. I expected that at least for these kind of displays they would have the QC that is expected by all.

I don't like AMD either. Let's hope that it's a GPU driver thingy, that will get ironed soon.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Hey everyone -

Thanks...

Can you do a screen capture? Does it show up there? If it does, it's software, - if it doesn't, it's probably hardware.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
So now it is every time there? or after a restart/reinstall Yosemite is gone?

----------

A perfect retina iMac should be with the display made by Samsung and with 970M or 980M

misho73

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2014
it happened to me once during the 9 days of my riMac's life. I created a thread about it here too. happened for couple of seconds and went away once I hovered the mouse over it. didn't happen again. (I hope it's just a driver issue)

zaph47

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2014
Virginia
Just got mine today. A few mins into the migration setup from my old mac I had the same thing appear. Hasn't gone away with restarts nor PRAM preset.
Dreading having to send it back since.

Any other ideas? TIA

misho73

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2014
Just got mine today. A few mins into the migration setup from my old mac I had the same thing appear. Hasn't gone away with restarts nor PRAM preset.
Dreading having to send it back since.

Any other ideas? TIA
Try a clean install

natallica

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 7, 2005
Fairfax, VA
Can you do a screen capture? Does it show up there? If it does, it's software, - if it doesn't, it's probably hardware.

That was my plan right after I took the photo. Unfortunately, as soon as I took the photo with my phone and looked at it to make sure it showed up there, the problem went away.

If it happens again, I'm taking a screenshot before I take another photo!

misho73

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2014
Hey everyone -

Thanks...
Did u encouter this again? It happened to me only once and never happened again. My 14 days return/exchange period is going to end in couple of days. I don't want to keep a defected hardware (if it is hardware) and the exchanging process is painful too. Not sure what to do. Damn u apple. I thought i am buying peace of mind.
are u keeping urs?

natallica

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 7, 2005
Fairfax, VA
Did u encouter this again? It happened to me only once and never happened again. My 14 days return/exchange period is going to end in couple of days. I don't want to keep a defected hardware (if it is hardware) and the exchanging process is painful too. Not sure what to do. Damn u apple. I thought i am buying peace of mind.
are u keeping urs?

I have not. Did you have it show up in the same place as mine did? Left side of the screen?

If it happens again I'm definitely taking it in to Apple. Hopefully if it's going to happen again it does so in the next couple of days.

misho73

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2014
I have not. Did you have it show up in the same place as mine did? Left side of the screen?

If it happens again I'm definitely taking it in to Apple. Hopefully if it's going to happen again it does so in the next couple of days.

No. It showed in the middle of the screen. But was less in width than urs. Please keep us informed with ur status as i will with mine.
I hope it's a Yosemite issue not more.

natallica

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 7, 2005
Fairfax, VA
No. It showed in the middle of the screen. But was less in width than urs. Please keep us informed with ur status as i will with mine.
I hope it's a Yosemite issue not more.

Me too. That's why my plan is to immediately take a screenshot if it happens again and checking to see if it shows up in the screenshot image.

misho73

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2014
Me too. That's why my plan is to immediately take a screenshot if it happens again and checking to see if it shows up in the screenshot image.

I do not know what is the source of this say "if it shows in the screen shot it's software" i am not a HW expert but i have been searching this issue extensively and lots of the famous 2011 MBP faulty GPU cases showed glitches that appeared in the screen shots

misho73

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2014
It happened again today....
Stayed for a minute and then did go away. called Apple support and they told me it is not a HD issue and performed SMC & PRAM resets and assured this will fix the issue for good.

I am not convinced but I have nothing else to do. I am behind my 14 days returning.
I will wait and see if it happens again or become worse.
I also took a screen shot while it was there and Did not appear in the shot. but I took a picture with my phone camera.

Attachments

• 2014-11-24 12.43.45.jpg
    2014-11-24 12.43.45.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 143

iczster

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2014
That is weird. Hope it's not some endemic issue with these models. Still waiting for mine.

Does it show up a screenshot? How long does it typically last for?

misho73

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2014
That is weird. Hope it's not some endemic issue with these models. Still waiting for mine.

Does it show up a screenshot? How long does it typically last for?

I doesn't show in the screen shot ( I read somewhere that the screen shot trick is not really an indicator) . it stays for a minute or so. actually i noticed it goes away when I hover my mouse cursor on it. which might suggest a SW bug (or that's what I hope for). I do not know. Will wait and see how the Support guy solution ends up.

iczster

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2014
I doesn't show in the screen shot ( I read somewhere that the screen shot trick is not really an indicator) . it stays for a minute or so. actually i noticed it goes away when I hover my mouse cursor on it. which might suggest a SW bug (or that's what I hope for). I do not know. Will wait and see how the Support guy solution ends up.

OK mate, keep us updated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.