Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
As someone who put together an Xbox One/PS4/Vita holiday bundle on eBay last year after tracking all he systems down, I'm still a bit torn on which console to get. Frankly if the One matched the PS4's performance now is probably a more opportunistic time to buy it and I prefer Microsoft's ecosystem. That being said that simply isn't the case.

Pros for the One:

- Cheaper price (currently $249 at a Microsoft Store with a free game or two if you trade in any 360 or PS3) otherwise it's still about $100 less factoring in the games
- Halo/Gears of War/Dead Rising (not a huge fan of any, although I did find GoW2 and the original DR to be great games)

Pros for the PS4:

- Better collection of remasters
- More freebies with PS Plus
- Arguably better upcoming exclusives
- Better performance & up to 50% better resolution typically

The PS4 is a no-brainer to me although I'm stuck with a $500 Microsoft Store gift card since they ran out of Ones on launch day despite telling me an hour prior that I'd be able to buy one if I show up.

Does anyone own both and prefer one or the other? I know more friends with the One but I could just buy that when it's down $199 in a year or two ;). Frankly I'll probably pull the trigger on the next PS4 deal I find... and damn I'm starting to sound like Sheldon Cooper. Am making this way more difficult than it should be, and I'm not even much of a gamer. Ah well.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
PC master race.

TRoll-face.png

In all seriousness though, I personally think the XBONE and PS4 are rubbish. I won't be getting either.

Last edited:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I have both, and play both about the same tbh.

I really think the 1080p v 900p is often over played. Many 1080p games i've played this year look considerably worse than something like Sunset Overdrive which is amazing looking and you wouldn't even question the resolution whilst playing because it looks so good.

Though I do have difficulty at time choosing which to buy for, I for example right now don't know whether to buy PS4 or Xbox1 version of GTA V. And this isn't down to resolution, but other things like GTA has nice dual shock 4 speaker support and trackpad support, however on Xbox 1 I wont get that .. but I do get instant on which is awesome. Makes jumping into the game you are currently playing so fast and so convenient.

I love instant resume on the Xbox One for games and wish it was there on the PS4.

Not a gears of war, halo or forza fan, so often many exclusives I buy are on the PS4, looking forward to Little Big Planet 3 for example, though like I say there are some great exclusives on the XB1 that do appeal to me. (Zoo Tycoon, Sunset Overdrive etc..)

Kinect is useless for me ... Although voice commands finally were integrated for Ireland after nearly a year - so that at least makes some use.

PS Eye camera on PS4 is utterly wasted on my PS4.

I am annoyed about silly things on my XB1, such as TV in. In Ireland we have access to UK television and things like FREESAT here, however the menu system of the xbox one refuses to allow you to choose it as a TV provider if your country is set to Ireland. I have to change the whole system to UK for it to see my TV & TV listings. It works great, BUT.... I then can not proceed to purchase anything from the store or get my free gold games because it gives me an error when attempting to purchase and prompts me to change my system back to Ireland. I do that, and I lose the TV support for FREESAT. Annoying...... That being said - if you are in a country like the USA that isn't an issue and having everything in your media centre hooked up with 1 device is awesome (when it works it really really works).

PS4 - since the 2.0 update the GUI is considerably more sluggish, customisation options are minimal and still no support for playing stuff from a USB drive.

Also my PS4 is noticeably louder in operation when gaming than my Xbox 1 which barely makes a sound.

Thankfully BOTH systems have been updated to support 3D blu-ray

I also own a wii u - but won't bring that into it :D :)

Personally I'm happy with both consoles, and in all likelihood I would still buy both regardless of whichever I had first.

Last edited:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
PS4, but that OS needs so much updating to get it on par with the PS3. No images as backgrounds, no media remote, horrible layout system. But putting all that aside...

I find myself playing a lot of indie games on PS4. I haven't even played much of the big AAA titles I own (Killzone, Last of Us, Infamous) because Towerfall is too addictive in multiplayer. It's been a real eye opener for me, even demos like PT I've played more than some big titles.

Ultimately, for me, the winning feature is Vita remote play. It's not quite as spot-on as the Wii U's gamepad but it's good enough.

Overall my favourite is the Wii U. Best selection of titles, great functionality with the Gamepad, comfiest controller (Wii U Pro controller), 100% backwards compatibility.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
I have both and just got the XB1 about a month and a half ago and put it this way. I havent turned my PS4 on since I have gotten it

I really love the XB interface, the features,and Kinect voice commands are amazing.

I also enjoy the exclusives on the XB1 more.

This is my very first XB of any kind so maybe the newness of a completely different system is enticing me currently but I am really impressed with the XB1 and all that previous E3 hate is unwarranted at this point a year later.

I am getting a Wii U soon and would put that fun level at a completely different feeling than these 2.

Mac Moof

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2013
Pick based on games

I have an Xbox One but previously I owned a PS3. Both the Xbox and PS have there advantages and disadvantages, although I certainly wouldn't worry about 900 versus 1080 as when your blasting around CoD or whatever you'll never notice the difference.

The only advice I think works for consoles is by the games on the consoles. If you prefer the games on one, buy that one. Put graphics and everything else aside since if there is nothing you want to play it does not matter how good graphics (or interface etc) you won't be turning it on.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
Pick based on games, with caveats

Basically, I think the best advice is to see what console has the games *you* want to play, and then go with that.

However, I don't think you can really go wrong getting both (unless you run out of hook-ups, or can't stand the mess of wires and cables connecting the consoles to the TV).

People talk a lot about "exclusives," but from what I have seen so far, most "exclusives" come out on the PC, and are really exclusive only to that one *console.* For example, I haven't seen any XBone exclusive that I can't also get for my PC. The PS4 may actually have some exclusives for them only, that aren't coming out on PC (but so far, Grim Fandango, a PS4 "console exclusive", is coming out on PC).

As I've said before, I'm totally happy with a gaming PC and a WiiU. YMMV!

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
I have both, and play both about the same tbh.

I really think the 1080p v 900p is often over played. Many 1080p games i've played this year look considerably worse than something like Sunset Overdrive which is amazing looking and you wouldn't even question the resolution whilst playing because it looks so good.

As much as I'd prefer to have the 1080p over even 900p, the real issue is when games are 720p over 1080p. There's a major difference there. If the new CoD was at 900p minimum the decision would be easier but I don't have faith in developers not reverting to 720p or slightly higher on the One and 1080p on the PS4.

That being said the 360 had an excellent upscaler considering most games were under 720p natively.

----------

Basically, I think the best advice is to see what console has the games *you* want to play, and then go with that.

However, I don't think you can really go wrong getting both (unless you run out of hook-ups, or can't stand the mess of wires and cables connecting the consoles to the TV).

People talk a lot about "exclusives," but from what I have seen so far, most "exclusives" come out on the PC, and are really exclusive only to that one *console.* For example, I haven't seen any XBone exclusive that I can't also get for my PC. The PS4 may actually have some exclusives for them only, that aren't coming out on PC (but so far, Grim Fandango, a PS4 "console exclusive", is coming out on PC).

A lot of Xbox One exclusives do end up on PC a year later, which makes me more inclined to just get a PS4 next time I see a deal.

I prefer the One console and Xbox Brand but PS4 has better exclusives and performance unfortunately.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
As much as I'd prefer to have the 1080p over even 900p, the real issue is when games are 720p over 1080p. There's a major difference there. If the new CoD was at 900p minimum the decision would be easier but I don't have faith in developers not reverting to 720p or slightly higher on the One and 1080p on the PS4.

That being said the 360 had an excellent upscaler considering most games were under 720p natively.

----------

A lot of Xbox One exclusives do end up on PC a year later, which makes me more inclined to just get a PS4 next time I see a deal.

I prefer the One console and Xbox Brand but PS4 has better exclusives and performance unfortunately.
Very few are 720p now, since the updates the lowest they go is around 900p

New Call of Duty on Xbox one is 1080 but dynamically drops to a minimum of 1360x1080 which is still considerably higher than 1280x720 and in practice you don't notice the drop.

Indeed because if the dynamic scaler it has the benefit of maintaining its 60fps at all times, whereas the locked ps4 1080p drops frames down to mid 40's during single player campaign at times.

Also - some of the early releases that were 720p like Dead Rising 3 did not look that bad in practice, tboufg certainly it would gave looked better at at least 900p.

Killer Instinct recently upgraded from 720p to 900p with an update and looks better.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005

If it wasn't for offbeat titles like Journey and other weird games, and without cross-buy for some older titles (in my case having all my Zen Pinball tables transfer over from PS3) I probably wouldn't have got a PS4 and just stuck with the PC and Wii U setup. What with GTAV coming to PC next year.

(I know there isn't a PS4 game similar to Journey... or even that game itself... on the system yet, but I know they're coming because Sony loves stuff like that. And so do I)

Cross Buy is just so huge to me though. I hate to use a marketing phrase but it really does feel like that feature is "for the players".

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
Xbox One.

My year with PS4 has been great, but right now Xbox is the more compelling system. Sunset Overdrive has been incredibly fun, and I'm looking forward to playing Halo with my brother and friends when it arrives this week.

Then I've got Forza, Titanfall and Dead Rising 3 to play through over winter.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA

I kinda get that, but I really don't. Which means, I'm not the target demographic for any of their advertising, LOL :p

My view--just as a car is just a means of getting from point A to point B (and has nothing to do with my manhood or penis length), a video game console or computer is all about running the software or games that I want it to. It doesn't have to be a particular brand ('though Apple has the best quality, so far).

Whoever gets me the games or software I need/use the most, has my loyalty (until they don't).

For the record, I used to be an awful Sega fanboy, until I realized (when the N64 demo'ed Super Mario 64) that Nintendo had the vision and the great software. Then I started to calm down, and enjoy the games more...

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
It seems PS4 hasnt done much in a while.

XB1 has had numerous substantial, monthly updates and some big exclusives in Sunset Overdrive and Halo coming out causing massive excitement.

Also the price right now is hard to beat for what you get. Sony really doesnt have to do much with how well their console is selling but there has been a lack of games lately on the console since Infamous Second Son.

Very impressed with the comeback by XB1 and dedication to fix a lot of their launch issues.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
I've had an Xbox One from launch and I've used it twice. I mainly game on my PS4 and Vita but my Wiiu is looking good as I'm catching up on my Mario time. The PS4 controller is just better to me and all the exclusive I want are on the PS4. I don't think there is one Xbox One exclusive I'm interest in.

My Xbox will see some "on time" in my bedroom until my Roku 3 is shipped to me but until then the X1 is a media streaming device.

Bless

Last edited:

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
i've been thinking ps4 for a while

no console since xbox 360

Though the reviews have been less than 'fantastic'

will be purchased in aprox 3 weeks, hope a 'old' time gamer gets a bit of fun for a while anyway

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
I own all of the current systems (3DS, Wii U, Vita, PS4 and Xbox One) - just comparing Xbox One to PS4 I would hands down say that Xbox One had the better first year - the exclusives are better, the user interface is way better, the rapid addition of features and other non-gaming features make the Xbox One my favorite over PS4.

Not to mention price; this holiday it really seems Sony isn't giving consumers much of a reason to get it except for brand power and the promise of 2015 and beyond.

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
PS4 without a doubt.
My reasons : more powerful machine,better built quality,better and more exclusives (judging PS3),not made by Microsoft,much better looking,better gamepad,also I owned all Sony consoles and simply prefer Playstation brand.

Last edited:

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
You can always sell your MS Store gift card on eBay. :D

More difficult than you think :(. Selling gift cards on eBay is risky and unless I sell it for $535 (the exact amount on it) I'd be at a loss with fees.

----------

Can confirm that I am also a member of the master race.

Essentially my logic being that Logical Increments pointed out that I could build a pretty sensible PC for the cost of a console.

Bleh, PC can have prettier graphics by far but is too much of a hassle.

- driver updates
- tinkering with settings constantly
- can't sell PC games when done
- can't realistically play multiplayer with a controller
- some great exclusives on consoles that PC will never get... although it is getting all of X1's exclusives lol

Last edited:

s0nicpr0s

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2010
Illinois
I personally prefer the PS4. I don't think that the Xbox One is bad. It had stumbled a little bit between announcement and the first year after release. But I'm thoroughly impressed with it and some of the added features from updates. I own a PS4, and my mom has the Xbox One. So some experience with the One, but not as much as owning it myself.

The UIs of both systems are alright, but I feel both can still be improved. The One isn't too far off from Win 8 or the 360 though, so it feels familiar at least. I'd love for the PS4 (and even the 3) to allow customization of the library. For example, creating custom folder for my most played games/apps, or putting all of the Indie titles into a folder. I believe the Vita has that option, but I know for a fact that the 3ds and the Wii U have that ability. Can't comment too much on the One, I know that you can add pins that show up to the left, but still haven't played around too much with it.

Freebies and remasters are a great benefit. And with the PS Now service still being worked on, the PS4 arguably has a very long life ahead of it. Hopefully it will eventually move to a subscription service instead of piece-mealing the games you want for more than its worth. Both have strong exclusive franchises. And those are going to be factors in which one you buy, or when you buy both.

I think ideally, I'd love for the two systems to meld just a little bit and take the best of both worlds.
  • Kinect > Playstation Camera
    • improved voice controls
    • IR blaster for TV control
    • improved tracking & facial recognition
  • Dualshock4 > Xbox One Controller
    • speaker, touch pad, and light bar are nice little touches
    • layout from both are comfortable, but dualshock feels more natural due to history with it
    • PS4 d-pad
    • Xbox analog sticks
If, when they release the updated version of the One, it gets a little bit of a boost to match the PS4 while still using Kinect, then I may consider picking up one for myself. Until then, I'll happily keep using my PS4.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Bleh, PC can have prettier graphics by far but is too much of a hassle.

- driver updates
- tinkering with settings constantly
- can't sell PC games when done
- can't realistically play multiplayer with a controller
- some great exclusives on consoles that PC will never get... although it is getting all of X1's exclusives lol

At the moment I'm playing games on PC, Wii U, 3DS and PS4. I've got to say PC isn't as bad as you make it sound. Driver updates aren't a problem. Once a month there's a popup telling you there's a new update out (if you haven't got auto-update set), run it, reboot if you need to or wait until the next boot. There's only as much tinkering as you want, if you want a console experience set the game to Medium and 1080p. Controller point depends on the game, I know it's easy to set it up on games like L4D. I think at this point the PC has way more exclusives than the Xbox One or PS4, heh.

I'm starting to get back into PC gaming for Oculus Rift, the cheaper price for games, and the range of control options. For example my PS4 doesn't work with a Logitech G27! PC (and PS3) does just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.