Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boba7523

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2011
Hi guys,

I've been reading threads, doing Google searches and watching Youtube videos on how to set up dual external monitors with my 2014 MacBook Air.

I'm confused as to what I need or if it's even possible as I watched a Youtube video where only one monitor powered up....

The monitors I have use DVI.

Can someone please tell me how to hook it up?

cruisin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2014
Canada
The Air only support one external screen by default and needs a USB monitor adapter to support two external screens. It won't be quick, but for text and video it is usually ok.

boba7523

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2011
The Air only support one external screen by default and needs a USB monitor adapter to support two external screens. It won't be quick, but for text and video it is usually ok.

You can use two Apple Thunderbolt displays, but that will be expensive. :)

Yep, this is the only way without the USB display option. Though it definitely breaks the bank.

With USB display, what would I have to buy?

And by quick, you mean there's going to be lag?

cruisin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2014
Canada
Get a display link adapter: Amazon link. Obviously the USB 3 will be much better than the USB 2.

Some people complain about less than 100% perfect colours and the mouse cursor being laggy. Sometimes the video signal can skip a bit.

boba7523

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2011
Get a display link adapter: Amazon link. Obviously the USB 3 will be much better than the USB 2.

Some people complain about less than 100% perfect colours and the mouse cursor being laggy. Sometimes the video signal can skip a bit.

Should i buy a single to dual DVI connector so I can have 1 free USB port and only have to buy one USB adapter?

cruisin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2014
Canada
One of your screens should be a mini display port to dvi adapter for best performance and the other should use USB. I don't think the air can run 2 USB adapters.

A single to dual connector is used when you want two screens to show the same thing, I think.

boba7523

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2011
One of your screens should be a mini display port to dvi adapter for best performance and the other should use USB. I don't think the air can run 2 USB adapters.

A single to dual connector is used when you want two screens to show the same thing, I think.

Can someone please confirm? The connection would look so ugly with one thunderbolt port (i have 2014 MBA) and one USB port powering the dual screens :(

Ugh, I should've bought the Pro.....

JPGOODE1154

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2018
London, United Kingdom
Can someone please confirm? The connection would look so ugly with one thunderbolt port (i have 2014 MBA) and one USB port powering the dual screens :(

Ugh, I should've bought the Pro.....

My thoughts exactly! A couple of hundred pounds difference in 2015 when I brought mine, and I wouldn’t be having this problem now. I’m about to spend the same on additional tech to solve the problem the Pro wouldn’t have had in the first place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.