Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sim667

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 7, 2010
I'm going to do up my old ipod 4g, as its sitting around unusable.

So I've got a new battery en route, and the CF flash adapter.... But SD cards are much cheaper for the size I want, so would a Compact flash adapter to SD card work in the same way as just putting a CF card in would? Or is there something complicated and technical I don't know about?

grockk

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2006
What size SD card? For large cards some CF adapters won't work. They may be artificially limited by file system assumptions or the adapter itself may not interface with the old pata protocol in the iPod.

Keep in mind the CF card isusually type 1 (3.3mm thick) and adapters are type 2 (5mm thick). I don't think this matters unless you are trying to fit other mods like larger battery.

Best bet is to try and see if it works. I had a 64gb card in an adapter before going to CF to get a larger battery to fit.

sim667

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 7, 2010
What size SD card? For large cards some CF adapters won't work. They may be artificially limited by file system assumptions or the adapter itself may not interface with the old pata protocol in the iPod.

Keep in mind the CF card isusually type 1 (3.3mm thick) and adapters are type 2 (5mm thick). I don't think this matters unless you are trying to fit other mods like larger battery.

Best bet is to try and see if it works. I had a 64gb card in an adapter before going to CF to get a larger battery to fit.

I'd rather just use a CF card tbh...... but they're just a bit expensive for the size they are......

But I hadn't even thought about the size difference and the interfacing..... thanks for pointing that out..... I will probably just try and find a 32gb or 64 gb cheap compact flash card somewhere......

Tea-Aholic

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
I'd rather just use a CF card tbh...... but they're just a bit expensive for the size they are......

But I hadn't even thought about the size difference and the interfacing..... thanks for pointing that out..... I will probably just try and find a 32gb or 64 gb cheap compact flash card somewhere......

Try getting a SD to CF card adapter, SD cards seem to be much cheaper than CF cards.

grockk

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2006
I think the CF/SD divide happens closer to 128GB or 256GB where prices are outrageously different.

I had a 64GB in a Tarkan CF/SD adapter and it worked great. I recently got a komputerbay 128GB 400X card for just under $100 dollars because i needed the thinner profile to fit a 2000mah battery in there.

So you'll have least trouble with a CF card and not worrying about adapters at the storage range you are looking at.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.