Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IPadNParadise

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
Help please. I ordered something yesterday afternoon. Said it would be shipped Fedex 7 days. So I receive an email this morning from Fedex that said unable to deliver yesterday. What??? But it had a zip file attached to it and I stupidly tried to open it. I have never received not tried to handle a zip file before so all I knew was to double click it. It opened to show me numbers all over the page. What have I done to my Mac? I should have known better but am so scared know. I want to try to check my bank account but am afraid to put those keystrokes into my computer. Please, please give a stupid (older) person some advice as to why to do. Thank you

I have a Macbook Pro mid 2012 with the latest Yosemite updates on it.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Help please. I ordered something yesterday afternoon. Said it would be shipped Fedex 7 days. So I receive an email this morning from Fedex that said unable to deliver yesterday. What??? But it had a zip file attached to it and I stupidly tried to open it. I have never received not tried to handle a zip file before so all I knew was to double click it. It opened to show me numbers all over the page. What have I done to my Mac? I should have known better but am so scared know. I want to try to check my bank account but am afraid to put those keystrokes into my computer. Please, please give a stupid (older) person some advice as to why to do. Thank you

I have a Macbook Pro mid 2012 with the latest Yosemite updates on it.
You probably received a phishing e-mail from a fake FedEx account.

Zip files in and of themselves are harmless, their contents may not be. Most likely the zip file contained a Windows virus of some sort, meant to steal information from you such as keystrokes. Being on Mac OS X, your computer is inherently immune to Windows Malware. It can carry it, pass it on, but not be affected by it.

You have likely not done any damage to your computer nor your personnal information. Just be careful with e-mails that appear fishy such as that one. FedEx will never contact you via e-mail as they just don't have it from you ordering something. They may call you if the package is undeliverable, but they will not e-mail you.

IPadNParadise

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
Thank you so much for answering. That does make me feel a little better. Normally I am very careful about clicking on attachments but have gotten used to receiving shipping info via an email (granted from the seller and not Fedex) but had a senior moment. And the order I placed said it was go to be shipped via Fedex. I am very glad I bought a Mac tho.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
check the real e-mail from address to see if it is really from FedEx...

large number of spam says "Fedex...." but is clearly not if you look at the rea from address.

It's trivial to use a false "From" address in email, so this isn't a good test.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
It's trivial to use a false "From" address in email, so this isn't a good test.

Sheesh... I know that perfectly well; it was common even back in the days of *NIX mail. I remember arguing about it in the 1970s and I sent my work friend an e-mail that sad it was from "God", but actually was "me@work.com".

However, the Yahoo mail client on the web allows you to hover over an incoming e-mail address and see whether or not it is really FedEx or any other company.

Typically you will see "FedEx", but if you hover you see if might be from xxxyyyzzzhhh@lasdeefv.pl or some such nonsense.

I have in my inbox an e-mail from CVS Photo, and hovering on it says it is from "email@photo.cvs.com", so it is valid.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I have in my inbox an e-mail from CVS Photo, and hovering on it says it is from "email@photo.cvs.com", so it is valid.

Yes, but in any mail client, I can set the "from" address to whatever I want, and that's what will show in the recipient's mail client.
This is an image of an email I sent from one of my email accounts to a Gmail account of mine:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/prpu1vsd3be6m54/cvs.jpg?dl=0
Now, if we look at the full headers of the message, it's obvious it's not from CVS, but most people don't know how or won't bother to do so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.