Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aaron427

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2011
I have a Mac mini late 2009 running Yosemite. I think I did a clean install of lion at one point but the rest have been upgrades thru the App Store. I recently bought a late 2010 Mac mini that has a clean install of Yosemite. I really don't want to have to try and remember all of the random settings and stuff I have so was going to just do a TM machine restore. So now for the question. If I do that will it bring over all the stuff from previous OS's which could slow it down? Or is there not much difference? Thanks for any help you can offer

asriznet

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2013
Singapore
I have a Mac mini late 2009 running Yosemite. I think I did a clean install of lion at one point but the rest have been upgrades thru the App Store. I recently bought a late 2010 Mac mini that has a clean install of Yosemite. I really don't want to have to try and remember all of the random settings and stuff I have so was going to just do a TM machine restore. So now for the question. If I do that will it bring over all the stuff from previous OS's which could slow it down? Or is there not much difference? Thanks for any help you can offer

To me, it's not much difference but I would still prefer not to migrate the system files over.

In the migration assistant window below, I would just check Applications + user account and leave the rest unchecked.

If anyway after that you feel that you're missing something, you can do another migration to include the items you have unchecked.

To me, it was just the wifi settings which I can easily connect again.

HT5872_06-yosemite-select_items-en.png

aaron427

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2011
Yeah I am not real worried about basic settings and stuff. When you have used something for 5 years you tend to forget just how many changes you made to different things. ha ha.. That will bring over the actual data, and files that go with iTunes, iPhoto, and any documents that I have? Or will I have to do that manually?

To me, it's not much difference but I would still prefer not to migrate the system files over.

In the migration assistant window below, I would just check Applications + user account and leave the rest unchecked.

If anyway after that you feel that you're missing something, you can do another migration to include the items you have unchecked.

To me, it was just the wifi settings which I can easily connect again.

asriznet

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2013
Singapore
Yeah I am not real worried about basic settings and stuff. When you have used something for 5 years you tend to forget just how many changes you made to different things. ha ha.. That will bring over the actual data, and files that go with iTunes, iPhoto, and any documents that I have? Or will I have to do that manually?

Your personal data are stored in the user account therefore will be migrated as well if you check the box in migration assistant window.

iPhoto will be stored in the Pictures folder of your account, iTunes library in the Music folder.

If you want to exclude any of this from migration, just uncheck the box before migrating.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.