Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I think about this a lot. I wonder if the iPhone 5/6 and iOS 7 would look/operate the same if he had never gotten sick and stepped down. Why or why not?

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
I think about this a lot. I wonder if the iPhone 5/6 and iOS 7 would look/operate the same if he had never gotten sick and stepped down. Why or why not?

If any of us knew the answer to this question, we'd either be working for Apple or have a phone manufacturing company of our own.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Perfectly reasonable question though. I'm wondering how much of his vision has been carried on.

No way to know, and not really relevant. Might as well ask if the telephone would have taken a different direction of Alexander Graham Bell was still around.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Well it's pretty much a fact it would've been different since he wouldn't have fired forstall.

Were a lot of people unhappy with his dismissal and the death of skeumorphism?

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Were a lot of people unhappy with his dismissal and the death of skeumorphism?

Within Apple? No, Scott was a personality that rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. Many in Apple's leadership were not happy with Scott and were not sad to see him go. Regarding skeuomorphism, I think iOS 7 makes a pretty clear statement.

Outside of Apple, some people were upset at both, but it seems the majority accepted it, enjoy the new design and have moved on.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I wonder if the iPhone 5/6 and iOS 7 would look/operate the same if he had never gotten sick and stepped down.

If there wouldn't have been any differences then you're saying that Steve Jobs was pointless and it made no difference if he came to work or not.

How do you think about that "a lot?"

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
There is no way to answer the OP's question. Steve is dead. We don't know what he would have done. The question can never be answered.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Within Apple? No, Scott was a personality that rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. Many in Apple's leadership were not happy with Scott and were not sad to see him go. Regarding skeuomorphism, I think iOS 7 makes a pretty clear statement.

Outside of Apple, some people were upset at both, but it seems the majority accepted it, enjoy the new design and have moved on.

Yeah I had read he was really only protected by Steve and when he left it was only a matter of time.

----------

How does that have anything to do with the topic at hand?

How does it not? We're talking about how the design might've been different. Steve's iOS was heavily skeumorphic.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I think about this a lot...

Couldn't you have covered this in one of the other 378 threads you've started?

TH55%20threads.png

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
If there wouldn't have been any differences then you're saying that Steve Jobs was pointless and it made no difference if he came to work or not.

How do you think about that "a lot?"

Fair point. I just wonder to what degree they have carried on his vision.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
I think the phone would've headed in this direction regardless. There was a move toward larger phones and Apple would have had to acknowledge that. I believe that iPhone 5 (which was already in early development when Jobs was alive) was Apple's way of moving toward larger phones.

As for the OS? Well... I just don't know. I am inclined to think it might have looked different than it does now, but I don't think it would still look like iOS 6 did. It really had to change SOMEHOW.

I forget now where I read it, but the Apple Watch idea was already out there before Steve died, so we'd have that coming and integrated, too. Just not sure about the OS so much.

There.... how's that for an answer? ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.