Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marc55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
I have an iPhone 5, and the home button does not respond every now and then, and Apple support has offered me an Express Exchange.

I looked in the refurb store, and didn't see ANY iPhones?

My concern is with the quality of the refurb process; What do they actually do when they refirb a phone? What components are replaced?

Thank you

EDIT: Corrected spelling of rifurb

Last edited:

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
if you ask me, refurb products from apple are just as good if not better than stuff straight from the factory. the devices are individually tested and set to factory specs. any parts that are replaced (if any) are OEM, so no worries. i've had my old iPhone 5 and an iPod touch swapped out before.

dasmb

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2007
Refurb products are basically rebuilt. There can be problems with a refurb but it's at more or less the same rate as new product.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
The casing on refurb phones has been replaced. Parts are checked and replaced if they fail QC. Once reassembled the entire phone is run through the same checks as the new phones.

Essentially they are indistinguishable from new.

I've had my iPhone 5 replaced twice. Both were refurbs and seemed to be better to me than the original launch day iPhone 5 I had.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
For whatever reason, Apple's never offered iPhones in their online refurb store.

I would never hesitate to accept an Apple-refurbished item. In time I've bought refurbished AppleTV, multiple iPads, Macbook Air, Mac Mini, and a couple different iPod nano (different generations).

Not once has any Apple-refurbished produce been distinguishable from brand new other than the box it came in.

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Romania
I had the worst experience with Refurbished iPhones !
The first one came with a huge (I mean relly huge) nick, on the second the screen became loose, on the 3rd one there was a baseband error, on the 4th the display had green lines...

If you ask me, they suck.
Just my 0.2 cents

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I had the worst experience with Refurbished iPhones

I notice you are in Romania. Were the phones refurbished and given to you by Apple, or by a third party?

In the US I've seen carriers such as AT&T offer non-Apple refurbished phones before. The one I saw personally was fine, but the warranty was only 90 days through the carrier thus indicating it was not Apple who had refurbished it.

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
I have an iPhone 5, and the home button does not respond every now and then, and Apple support has offered me an Express Exchange.

I looked in the refirb store, and didn't see ANY iPhones?

My concern is with the quality of the refirb process; What do they actually do when they refirb a phone? What components are replaced?

Thank you

You got nothing to lose, give it a shot.

tiartrop

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2008
From what I know, refurb iPhones got their broken parts and casing replaced.

I exchanged my iPhone 5 twice, the second time was given a refurb unit because my power button had stopped responding.

My refurb unit wasn't perfect tbh, it got minor scratches all over the bezel and a stuck pixel on the screen, but of course these were minor problems compared to the non-functioning power button. Plus the battery was practically new so there's nothing to lose.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
I have never noticed any quality differences between new phones and refurbs.

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
Apple does an excellent job with refurbished phones laptops and other products. They stand behind them also.

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Romania
I notice you are in Romania. Were the phones refurbished and given to you by Apple, or by a third party?

In the US I've seen carriers such as AT&T offer non-Apple refurbished phones before. The one I saw personally was fine, but the warranty was only 90 days through the carrier thus indicating it was not Apple who had refurbished it.

Orange Romania. My carrier. Same 90 days warranty like AT&T.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.