Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EvoXOhio

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 20, 2014
I'm writing this post in the event other people who are considering switching are interested.

I bought the original iPhone on launch weekend, and loved it immediately. I then bought the 3G and 3GS when they came out. Around that time, Android started becoming more polished and offered more customizations and bigger screens. As a geeky man with big fat sausage fingers, I always hated typing on the iPhone, especially in portrait mode, and I wanted more features. So I made the jump to Android. I fell in love with the bigger screen and more features.

I have had an HTC Inspire, Galaxy Note, Nexus 4, and Nexus 5. My Nexus 5 had so many issues I began getting frustrated with Google. Lots of random lag, abysmal battery life (especially standy/sleep times), I was randomly missing texts, people were missing some of my texts, etc. I got 4 replacements from Google, and a replacement SIM for ATT, and I still had the issues. I finally got Google to give me a refund. When there were rumors of a 5.5 inch iPhone starting, I began to take notice.

When it was finally announced, I was on the fence about whether to switch to iPhone and give up some of the things I loved in Android (back button, better notifications, widgets, etc.) or try the Nexus 6 in hopes it was better than the Nexus 5. I had decided against non-nexus phones because the OEM customizations are terrible and they take so long to update Android to the newest versions. So I decided to give the iPhone a try. It took some getting used to, but now I don't think I can ever go back to Android. The 6+ battery life is easily 3-4 times better than my Nexus 5. The 6+ isn't perfect (no software or electronics are, I work in IT so I know this all too well), but it is 10 times the phone my Nexus 5 was. when the Nexus 6 reviews starting coming out and the battery life was deemed poor as was the camera, I knew I made the right decision.

When I first switched to Android, I told people "well if Apple would just make a bigger phone with more features, I'd stay with iPhone". Thankfully Apple finally relented and gave us bigger phones and have obtained better feature parity with Android (and the features are more polished and stable in iOS vs. Android).

So if there are any people out there who are frustrated with slow, buggy, poor battery life Android phones, take a look at the 6+. If you only read these forums, you'd think ios8 and the new iPhones are a mess, simply because people typically only go to message boards and forums to complain. not many people make posts to say "my device is great and I love it". So this is my version of "my device is great and I love it" thread.

tl;dr - Android got too buggy and had poor battery life for my taste, so switched back to iPhone and couldn't be happier.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
I tried an Android device out (my Nexus tablet) and although it is not bad, I really enjoy IOS a lot more, needless to say I will be jumping to an Ipad when I upgrade

EvoXOhio

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 20, 2014
I have a Nexus 7 and an Asus Transformer tablet. The N7 is a very good tablet, but now that I have the 6+ I rarely touch it. My Transformer is so slow I don't even try to use it any more. It's beyond unusable.

If they really make a 12" iPad I'll definitely get that.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
I have a Nexus 7 and an Asus Transformer tablet. The N7 is a very good tablet, but now that I have the 6+ I rarely touch it. My Transformer is so slow I don't even try to use it any more. It's beyond unusable.

If they really make a 12" iPad I'll definitely get that.

Well, if you have a 2012 Nexus 7, load Lollipop on there and i'm sure your mind will be changed.

EvoXOhio

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 20, 2014
Well, if you have a 2012 Nexus 7, load Lollipop on there and i'm sure your mind will be changed.

I have the 2013 N7, which runs well with Lollipop (even though Lollipop is very buggy and the design isn't consistent). I have a friend with the 2012 N7 and it basically became a paperweight with KitKat. Apparently the 2012 N7 suffered from a storage problem that made it degrade over time. It's a hardware issue.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
I think Ars did a Lollipop review and concluded it just sucked on the 2012 Nexus 7. Something about the low quality and low performance flash system used.

Should not have even been offered for it then IMO

----------

I have the 2013 N7, which runs well with Lollipop (even though Lollipop is very buggy and the design isn't consistent). I have a friend with the 2012 N7 and it basically became a paperweight with KitKat. Apparently the 2012 N7 suffered from a storage problem that made it degrade over time. It's a hardware issue.

Kit Kat actually did not bother me, it slowed it a little but nothing that ruined it for me.

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
After many years on Nokia's and Blackberrys I started rooting Androids with the Nexus One almost 5 years ago. Had phones like the HTC One S and Galaxy S4. I thought all were great, but always did want a larger screen due to poor aging eyes.

After 18 months flashing roms on the S4, I got bored with flashing and at my son and daughter-in-law's pushing got the Plus.

Best phone I have had for many of the reasons already mentioned. I also liked to theme my phones and worried about not being able to do that on the iPhone. But, I love the color and look of the stock wallpaper and icons. I assume that is the night sky for everyone and the grey background icons. New to iPhone so not sure if that is what everyone gets. Would figure it is same on all Pluses.

Like the OP mentioned these phones are, barring a few, exceedingly smooth with a great UI. The other thing I was worried about was not being able to do Nandroids, full OS backups. Didn't know the phones had something very close.

On rare occasions, like in some web pages, I do miss a back button. But, not a big deal.

The only negative for "some" may be the size. But, I played enough with one in the Apple Store to know it was ok for me.

As far as the issues some have, you will see that on all Forums. You sell millions of phones. Thousands of ones with some issues is a very small percentage. Probably less than 1%. That doesn't help those with issues. But, should not deter someone from buying the phones. I always buy in store and check the phone out before leaving.

I don't expect to go back to Android. All IMHO--:):apple:

msavic

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2014
I'm currently contemplating the switch to a 6+ from the S5. I'm just unsure if I will end up missing some of the features I currently have and if there are potential workarounds on iOS to deal with them.

nj1266

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2012
Long Beach, CA
If you are willing to jailbreak, there are many workarounds to the limitations of iOS. I for one do not like using physical buttons. Jail breaking has allowed me to use my control center to control every aspect of the phone including the app switcher. The only activity where I press a physical button is when I wake up the phone. That also helps the longevity of the physical buttons since they are known to fail.

Tomo1971

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2014
I've jumped back from a few years worth of androids too.

Went:
From several Nokia dumb phones,
Nokia E71 then E72
Blackberry bold 9700
Blackberry torch
Blackberry 9900
HTC Hero
iPhone 4s
Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Samsung Galaxy S4
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Samsung Galaxy S5
Sony Xperia Z2 (for two weeks only)
Samsung Galaxy S5
And now to iPhone 6 plus.

Like many others I liked the 4s but found it just too small and limited. Android has so many quick shortcuts that make actions easier and quicker.

But more recently the Samsung focus seems to be on gimmicks that few people use. I love some of the touchwiz features but not the gimmicks.

The iPhone seems to of moved on some what. The notifications the control centre etc.

loving it so far but knowing me I'll want something new and shiny in a few more months. ....

dylanrod01

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2014
Used to have the iPhone 4 and 5. Had iPhone 5 for 3 months then I was done. Then switched to Android last year. Currently have the Galaxy S5. I'll admit I'm a huge Android fan now. Jailbreaking makes your iPhone become very insecure. IMO iOS is way too limited, restricted and Apple really needs to step it up in the hardware department. I know iOS is optimized for it but iPhone users still have RAM problems and other problems because of hardware. Not bashing on Apple. I've used both OS's and can give an honest opinion.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
I'm happy with my 6 Plus but I do miss how Android operates. It isn't nearly as bad as some iOS users seem to believe, and after the initial shock of making the switch, you quickly come to appreciate how open and flexible it is.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I'm happy with my 6 Plus but I do miss how Android operates. It isn't nearly as bad as some iOS users seem to believe, and after the initial shock of making the switch, you quickly come to appreciate how open and flexible it is.

I agree. I found Android very Windows/OSX like. Drag and drop, right/option click (long press), files accessible system wide sort of thing.

iOS was actually more difficult for me to learn coming from Android because of trying to do things in what I would call "the standard way".

In the end I still prefer iOS over Android but miss a few things from it.

MasterRyu2011

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2014
The first generation Nexus 7 indeed suffer from quality deterioration. I've seen it slow down to a crawl numerous times after a year of use. The 2013 however is till fast as ever, and I am on Kitkat.

baller1308

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2009
how is the nexus 5 on lollipop? I'd think it'd be much better?
It's good, but not great. I upgraded, performance might be better with a clean install. I was also using nova launcher and an icon theme which might have contributed to the some of the lag I experienced.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
It's good, but not great. I upgraded, performance might be better with a clean install. I was also using nova launcher and an icon theme which might have contributed to the some of the lag I experienced.

like iPhone 4s on iOS 8 lag or iPhone 5S on iOS 8 lag (minimal)
If it's the latter, I'd accept that - Nexus 5 is the same age as iPhone 5s.

I'm actually very intrigued by the prospect of Android. I'm not 100% happy with my iPhone 6 - I feel Apple is playing catch up as opposed to innovating - and that hurt their design edge. My iPhone 6 feels fragile vs. all the other iPhones I've had previously (all generations except for the original 2g). I've dropped it twice now - due to poor design in my opinion, too wide, and too thin, limited grip-ability.

I usually almost never drop my phone - in fact from the very first iphone that I've had - the 3G I can count on one had the number of times I dropped them.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Is the 6+ battery that much better than the 6? I am looking to buy either the 6 or Nexus 6 since that's my price range.

IpadSC400

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2013
A mile high
Back to the iPhone after years on Android
...said no-one ever...:cool:

...Seriously though, whats new?

Me and my bro got our phones the same day at T-mobile. He got an HTC One 32gb, while i got an iPhone 5S 16gb. First 5 months, all good, then his phone starts developing charging port issues, suddenly dies out of state. Completely dead. Loses all videos he was making. Sent broken HTC One back for replacement, after 2 weeks replacement finally comes. All is good for another 3 months, now with this replacement the camera isnt working at all...warranty doesnt exist...well jolly Android, be kosher for once!

BTW my 5S still chugging along fine. No issues whatsover.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Lots of people comparing premium iPhones to budget Android phones here. The Nexus (up until the latest version) has always been a very cheap phone. You get what you pay for.

The Apple garden isn't all sweetness and light either. Poor battery life, faulty home buttons, faulty sleep buttons, loose volume buttons, yellow blotches that appear on the screen around the 18 month mark, and horrendously buggy iOS updates don't make for a premium experience...

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Is the 6+ battery that much better than the 6? I am looking to buy either the 6 or Nexus 6 since that's my price range.

Yes it is, the Plus easily gets a few more hours on screen time then the 6, i went from the 6 to the 6 Plus and the battery life is very noticeable(and absolutely fantastic to say the least on the Plus

----------

Lots of people comparing premium iPhones to budget Android phones here. The Nexus (up until the latest version) has always been a very cheap phone. You get what you pay for.

The Apple garden isn't all sweetness and light either. Poor battery life, faulty home buttons, faulty sleep buttons, loose volume buttons, yellow blotches that appear on the screen around the 18 month mark, and horrendously buggy iOS updates don't make for a premium experience...

The Plus gets better battery life then any Android smartphone right now besides the 6 inch plus gigantic tablet smartphones Android has, and also Apple products consistently year in and out remain at top of product reliability and least likely to break/malfunction, please dont spread such terrible wrong information if it is not true in the first place, Lollipop has a ton of bugs on it right now (wifi issues, video playback issues, OK GOOGLE breaking systemwide, battery drain issues, app switcher drawer issues, flashlight issue, and more)

Too bad I havent experienced those issues on my iOS devices right? (never updated to 8.0.1 and 8.0.2 was out a few days later not even)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.