Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shaun21gb

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 30, 2014
sydney NSW
Hi guys,

I am thinking about going down the route of changing the cpu's in my mac pro from 2.66GHz to a matched pair of 5160 @3GHz cpu's ??

Would this be an easy change or is there allsorts of problems to sort out.

Any info would be great .

Regards
shaun:apple:

theitsage

Suspended
Aug 28, 2005
Hi guys,

I am thinking about going down the route of changing the cpu's in my mac pro from 2.66GHz to a matched pair of 5160 @3GHz cpu's ??

Regards

I take it you have a 1,1 Mac Pro? It's a rather straight forward swap. Make sure you have the right tools and thermal paste.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
You need a really long allen key and the front fans and left memory riser slide are not in any way fun to remove

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
Hi guys,

Regards

Hi Shaun There is a two part video on upgrading a 1.1 cMac Pro https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QU6qQRfhrXA

Just go slow in removing the heatsinks and take note one of the heat sensor cables is connected behind the memory cage. Good luck. :)

shaun21gb

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 30, 2014
sydney NSW
update on my CPU swop

Hi guys,

Just wanted to give you an update on my CPU swop from 2.66GHz to 3GHz.
arrived in the post this afternoon and i started As soon i got home and all the advise i was given all guided me in the right of doing this upgrade.

And it all went with out any problems, so once again guys thanks for all the advice and links to youtube video's about this upgrade.

So once again thanks to all :):):):)

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
Hi guys,

Just wanted to give you an update on my CPU swop from 2.66GHz to 3GHz.
arrived in the post this afternoon and i started As soon i got home and all the advise i was given all guided me in the right of doing this upgrade.

And it all went with out any problems, so once again guys thanks for all the advice and links to youtube video's about this upgrade.

So once again thanks to all :):):):)

Welcome and glad to know the upgrade went well. Enjoy your Mac Pro! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.