Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I hate this, it's almost like your phone is spamming you. Why would anyone want notifications from every single one of their apps to clutter their lock screen, obscuring important and relevant notifications like calls and texts?

The same goes for banner notifications, who wants a bar at the top of their screen for every last notification? Isn't that what notification center is for?

The default should be calls and messages for both lock screen and banner notifications. Having everything show in lock screen is messy and not in keeping with Apple's "clean and simple" philosophy.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Who cares what the default is? I'd rather get too many notifications than miss one that I cared about. Besides, it's easy to go into settings and turn them off.

I've turned off lock screen notifications for the spammiest things.

Last edited by a moderator:

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Who cares what the default is? I'd rather get too many notifications than miss one that I cared about. Besides, it's easy to go into settings and turn them off.

I've turned off lock screen notifications for the spammiest things.

I'm just saying it makes much more sense from an efficiency standpoint and is more consistent with Apple and iOS 7's minimalist aesthetic.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Every app that wants to notify you must ask the first time you run it. If it's in the NC it's also on your lockscreen and that's because you said yes.

If you don't want it there go into Settings>Notifications Center and press Edit. Remove it from the list by sliding the app down.

No more notifcations from that app. And if you want to change the alert style for apps in the NC then just press on the app and change the alert style.

Any app in the NC will display on your lockscreen.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
And if the default was to show no notifications in the lock screen you would be here whining and complaining about that.:rolleyes:
Not at all, honestly. I'm a minimalist, I hate clutter and noise. I keep my phone on silent if that tells you anything lol.

----------

Every app that wants to notify you must ask the first time you run it. If it's in the NC it's also on your lockscreen and that's because you said yes.

If you don't want it there go into Settings>Notifications Center and press Edit. Remove it from the list by sliding the app down.

No more notifcations from that app. And if you want to change the alert style for apps in the NC then just press on the app and change the alert style.

Any app in the NC will display on your lockscreen.

I don't think that's true. Maybe when you initially download them but whenever I update apps or restore from a backup it's set to show in lockscreen and banners by default.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Turn off the ones you don't want. Who cares what the defaults are?

I'm just saying it makes much more sense from an efficiency standpoint and is more consistent with Apple and iOS 7's minimalist aesthetic. It's sloppy and not "smart".

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I don't think that's true. Maybe when you initially download them but whenever I update apps or restore from a backup it's set to show in lockscreen and banners by default.
Right. That's what I said. The first time you run it "…when you intially download them…".

You make a backup after you've ok'ed them to be in the NC then that permission is in the backup and will be restored when you restore.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Sorry, but I don't believe you.

That's fine, iif it's easier for you to form conspiracies than to believe your precious product has flaws.

----------

Right. That's what I said. The first time you run it "…when you intially download them…".

You make a backup after you've ok'ed them to be in the NC then that permission is in the backup and will be restored when you restore.

Oh ok, I didn't realize that.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I'm just saying it makes much more sense from an efficiency standpoint and is more consistent with Apple and iOS 7's minimalist aesthetic. It's sloppy and not "smart".

In your opinion.

iOS asks on newly downloaded apps if you'd like to add them to the NC. After that, you have the option to configure them however you'd like.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 56

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
That's fine, iif it's easier for you to form conspiracies than to believe your precious product has flaws.

So, it is a flaw that the default is to show notifications for everything on the lock screen.

Ok, you have a rather interesting definition of the word flaw.:rolleyes:

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
In your opinion.

iOS asks on newly downloaded apps if you'd like to add them to the NC. After that, you have the option to configure them however you'd like.

Yeah I didn't realize it did that initially.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon

Man, you post a thread complaining about EVERY. STUPID. INANE. LITTLE. THING.

I'm thinking you'd find a reason to complain about it.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
So, it is a flaw that the default is to show notifications for everything on the lock screen.

Ok, you have a rather interesting definition of the word flaw.:rolleyes:

A flaw in terms of abandoning Apple's minimalist aesthetic and detracting from the efficiency of my user experience, yes. A flaw in the traditional sense of a defect? No, of course not.

----------

Man, you post a thread complaining about EVERY. STUPID. INANE. LITTLE. THING.

I'm thinking you'd find a reason to complain about it.

Sorry, not trying to whine, was honestly curious why they did this.

Chatter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Uphill from Downtown
A flaw in terms of abandoning Apple's minimalist aesthetic and detracting from the efficiency of my user experience, yes. A flaw in the traditional sense of a defect? No, of course not.

----------

Sorry, not trying to whine, was honestly curious why they did this.

Why? Because people want notifications from things they care about! It has nothing to do with a minimalist aesthetic. Dont like it, turn it off. Jeez is this really complicated?

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011

So I just downloaded a new app and got prompted with what you're talking about - all it asks is if you would like "to receive push notifications." It does not give you the option of choosing which kind. If you click "no" you won't even receive the basic badge notifications that most people keep on.

Therefore my original post stands, when it asks if you would like to receive push notifications that should only by default entail badge notifications, most people don't want 50 trivial alerts cluttering up their lock screen every time they look at their phone and have to sift through them to see if they had any missed calls/texts.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I guess I just don't see the difficulty in going into the Settings app and adjusting my notifcations for the NC, nor the difficulty in adjusting any settings (if they exist) in the app itself.

But that's just me.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I guess I just don't see the difficulty in going into the Settings app and adjusting my notifcations for the NC, nor the difficulty in adjusting any settings (if they exist) in the app itself.

But that's just me.

Yeah I'm probably nitpicking slightly but I still don't think it makes sense to have everything show in lock screen by default. Of course it's not difficult to adjust I just don't understand why it's not like that to begin w.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Yeah I'm probably nitpicking slightly but I still don't think it makes sense to have everything show in lock screen by default. Of course it's not difficult to adjust I just don't understand why it's not like that to begin w.

It makes sense to me, I matter to Apple more than you I guess.

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
So I just downloaded a new app and got prompted with what you're talking about - all it asks is if you would like "to receive push notifications." It does not give you the option of choosing which kind. If you click "no" you won't even receive the basic badge notifications that most people keep on.

Therefore my original post stands, when it asks if you would like to receive push notifications that should only by default entail badge notifications, most people don't want 50 trivial alerts cluttering up their lock screen every time they look at their phone and have to sift through them to see if they had any missed calls/texts.

Well since you can do a ton of customization for every app, everyone can set it up how they want. Having everything on when you say yes makes the most sense to me. That way to know in what ways that app will notify you, if you don't like one way, turn it off. I think that's much better then missing notifications because it was setup wrong by default.

I want the function to work before I get closer to the minimalist way you want.

Winona Northdakota

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2010
I hate this, it's almost like your phone is spamming you. Why would anyone want notifications from every single one of their apps to clutter their lock screen, obscuring important and relevant notifications like calls and texts?

The same goes for banner notifications, who wants a bar at the top of their screen for every last notification? Isn't that what notification center is for?

The default should be calls and messages for both lock screen and banner notifications. Having everything show in lock screen is messy and not in keeping with Apple's "clean and simple" philosophy.

Either way, the user would have to customize what notifications they want on their lock screen, so what?

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Either way, the user would have to customize what notifications they want on their lock screen, so what?

No, not if they only wanted texts and calls on their lock screen, which I'm willing to bet a good majority of people prefer. Most people I know have it set up this way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.