Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Seys

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2014
Hell guys :) I have some questions before buying a SSD to my Macbook.

1- I have read online, that writing to much on SSD make them slow and increase the failure rate ? Is this true or false ? I basically use my mac to do school things, alot of writing in word and sometimes i make a video in imovie.

2- Does the SSD performe best, when it's half fulled ? By that i mean, using ½ of the capacity.

3- The SSD i'm planning to buy have a MTBF on 1.500.000 hours <-- Good or ?

Thank you :) :)

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
1.5 million hours (if I read that right) is A LOT of time. For schoolwork, an SSD will last just fine, you shouldn't have any issues with too many writes.

By the way, the "too many writes" thing is an estimated number of writes PER CELL, not overall on the drive.

If you enable TRIM (Google it), you could put almost as much as you want on the drive. Many drives these days actually include a buffer of sorts so there are spare segments to take up when it marks one as "bad".

cruisin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2014
Canada
Modern SSDs are very durable. Everything can break, but the SSD should last the life of your laptop if not more.

The slowness of SSDs comes from Apple not supporting TRIM on non-Apple SSDs. TRIM helps keep your SSD fast and works on Windows and official Apple SSDs. There is a simple hack for forcing Apple to use TRIM on other SSDs. This link is for the most popular app.

SSD performance is great and it only slows down when you fill the drive to 100%. My drive still runs well at 90% full. You don't need to keep it half full.

Seys

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2014
Thank you guys, helped me a lot, though i still have a question :)
Have any of you experienced a SSD suddenly dont work more ?

cruisin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2014
Canada
I had a corsair 128gb SSD that died after a month. Luckily I bought the extended store warranty.

I have a crucial 128gb that is going strong for a few years now. And my Macbook has the apple SSD that has been perfect so far.

So the reliability is about the same as hard drives.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.