Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancaro

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2014
italy
Hello everyone, I was looking for a mac pro 2008 8 cores, on Ebay, and I find a lot but I can not understand what kind of processors mountain.
I must installarci Yosemite or Mavericks.
Asking sellers, often can not answer, I'm interested in a mac pro 2008 8-core 2.80 GHz XEON processors that have 5300 or 5400 or Clovertown Harpetown that are the best on the market.

NO Xeon 5100 Woodcrest because they tell me that are not good for video editing and do not support Mavericks.

How do I know which processors are in the mac pro 2008 ??

I'm afraid to make mistakes purchase, there is a way to understand such as Xeon 5100 till date have been installed on the mac pro ??

Thanks.

nigelbb

macrumors 65816
Dec 22, 2012
Apple only ever shipped three models of CPU in the 3,1 not the list that you post. There were three Octo-core models & one Quad-core model

Two 2.8 GHz (E5462) Quad-Core processors
Two 3.0 GHz (E5472) Quad-core processors
Two 3.2 GHz (X5482) Quad-core processors
One 2.8 GHz (E5462) Quad-core processor

All processors are Intel Xeon "Harpertown"

See the Wikipedia article for model & option details http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_Pro

Cancaro

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2014
italy
any thanks to all friends and two of helping me.

So all in 2008 MacPro 8 core processors have 2x2.8 GHz (E5462) Harpetown.

Am I right? I can not go wrong at this point thanks.

Last edited:

stjames70

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2009
MacPro 2008 3,1

The MacPro you are looking at is fully functional all the way up to the latest build of Yosemite. I know. We have seven of these machines running Yosemite 10.10.1 and Windows 8 through VMWare Fusion. Nice machines, very upgradeable, you can even install a WiFi/Bluetooth card from MacVidCards that supports the latest AC and BT LE protocols so you can have continuity function in Yosemite.

They are great workhorses, much better for us then even the latest base iterations offered on the iMacs -- that being said, memory is expensive, it is a six year old chassis, and I don't know what you are using the machine for. For us, a little 3D manipulation, running a VM, stability and the ability to service it easily were on top of my list. All the 3,1s we have were bought used except for our first one, so our experience has been that they are reliable enough.

Just be sure to check whether or not the machine comes with a wifi card if you need it. Not all of them had one built-in unfortunately. The old Cinema Displays work extremely well so I bought a variety of used 20", 23", 27"(LED), and 30" for cheap on Craigslist.

As always, be careful when buying something used, buy locally only if you can, and if you can't, make sure return policy is solid. Good luck! These old stalwarts will be used until the XEONs fry to death -- which may be never. And check out the graphic card in the machine -- I had one whose fan failed and I went through a grueling fan exchange by myself on an ATI 5870.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.