Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WinstonRumfoord

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2014
Hello!

I have Fiber 100MBps down/up service and I cant seem to get that using my 1st gen airport extreme. When I plug in via ethernet (On my fiances old school mbp with ethernet port) to the fiber port I get the 100 down/up consistently, but when connected via wifi on the airport extreme It tops out at 50 down / 35 up.

Do I finally need to upgrade to take advantage?

EDIT: This is sitting directly next to the router, nothing but 2 feet of air between the airport extreme and my rMBP.

Thanks.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Hello!

I have Fiber 100MBps down/up service and I cant seem to get that using my 1st gen airport extreme. When I plug in via ethernet (On my fiances old school mbp with ethernet port) to the fiber port I get the 100 down/up consistently, but when connected via wifi on the airport extreme It tops out at 50 down / 35 up.

Do I finally need to upgrade to take advantage?

EDIT: This is sitting directly next to the router, nothing but 2 feet of air between the airport extreme and my rMBP.

Thanks.

Does this occur when you connect an Ethernet cable to a LAN port on the Extreme to the MacBook Pro? Assuming you mean 1st generation Extreme (wireless N) model, then your AirPort has 10/100 Mbps ports. This should offer performance in the 90 Mbps range. Check your transmit rate by option-clicking on the Wi-Fi icon on your MBP.

Now if your AirPort is an older first generation Extreme that is shaped like a UFO saucer, then you are limited to wireless G and the speeds are correct for that model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.